Colonial haul....plus other stuff, many pictures

That 3rd regiment button is awesome! Hope you figure out the mystery bird button, thats pretty cool too

Thanks! I'm working on getting a photo from my buddy of a button he got. We weren't sure what it was at first, but now I've come to find out about "livery buttons" and I believe his bird is the same that's in the middle of mine. So it might be a family crest/design. Hopefully I'll have an update soon.

i think you may be right on that. the trophy looked like a shield at first, the three point at top found on Rev buttons. but now it looks like it would not be military and i think you may be right on Livery button. some early buttons were light engraved look.

do you use the jelly for guilt?

and check the back for backmark of maker that may help date it.

still really cool button

The back of the button is smooth as can be, but I got the picture of the livery button today. I think I'm right on track with it.... More research time to figure out the family name behind it!

there is a site ...Livery Buttons Identified that is a new and building site. go there on google. they said up to 70,000 may be added, but the help you need i betthe folks there can help.

His looks similar to a Cornish Cough similar doves too on the site

there is a site ...Livery Buttons Identified that is a new and building site. go there on google. they said up to 70,000 may be added, but the help you need i betthe folks there can help.

His looks similar to a Cornish Cough similar doves too on the site

thanks! i have been looking into that site and found a few that come super close, but minor details are off like the tail feathers. I think my next step is sending them what I have and looking for input. I was looking hard at the Cornish Cough, and found a couple other sites that had a more matching variation.

Wow! What a great site to be able to hunt! Opportunity of a lifetime there. Please keep us updated on any new finds, or info you have uncovered about your current finds. Fascinating stuff! Thank you!

Wow! What a great site to be able to hunt! Opportunity of a lifetime there. Please keep us updated on any new finds, or info you have uncovered about your current finds. Fascinating stuff! Thank you!

Thank you! I always like to keep the peoples here entertained!

Would it be possible to get more pictures of the sword pommel/butt cap? How big is it across? It looks early.

Would it be possible to get more pictures of the sword pommel/butt cap? How big is it across? It looks early.

A buddy of mine had actually pulled that one in. I will see if he can send some. If I remember right the open end would take my pinky, it was very small. The site bounced from 1600s-1800s.

Oh my… crazy amazing hunting! Wow! Way to go, just crazy… I can’t even imagine finding any one of those finds.

Thank you! It definitely puts you on a high. Two of my guys in the group were brand new and it was their first hunt. I keep having to remind them that it's not always like this 😅

I have been out in training for some work related things the last couple of weeks, but the lucky thing was it put me near a friends property that I was able to research some colonial maps for. I wont give too much away, but the property is riverside outside of Richmond and had a fair amount of Revolutionary, Civ, and normal Colonial activity. I don't have too many good in-dirt pictures due to lack of light in the woods during the evening, but I tried for a couple.

After several days of research and a good starting spot, the three of us spent every day after training out searching for these finds. Without typing too many boring details...and not giving my new favorite spot away... I will say we found great stuff, some trash, a got rained on, snapped my Detect'd Shaft when I fell on it, built a new shaft at Lowe's with conduit, kept going, and got rained on again :lol: .

All in all (I know I am forgetting things), over 40 flat buttons found, 4 pieces of silver dated between 1600-1808, 3 Virginia Half Pennies (1773), a Liberty Cap Half Cent (small head facing right ~1790s), 1810 Large Cent, a cannon ball, 1865 2 Cent, 1936 Roosevelt Token, 4 wheaties, a merc dime, War of 1812 "3rd Regiment of Rifleman" button, a nice button with wool/cotton thread still in the loop (3rd lifetime total), a large flat button with gold design (no ID yet), 5 total thimbles with the group, early bottle with glass soldered ring and rough cut neck, and a carved lead bullet "fish".

I'll add some more comments to some of the pictures, but thanks in advance for looking! Soon I'll should have the cannon ball rendered safe and cleaned up, so that will get updated eventually.

Thimble hiding in the dirt

1773 Virginia Half Penny

Cannon Ball

Thimble

Cut 2 Reale

Another Cut 2 Reale

1773 Virginia Half Penny

Tiiiiiiny Cob, about the size of my pinky nail

Cut 2 Reale ~1808

1865 2 Cent

My portion of finds

Lead fish

Need ID on this button, the "vase" has what looks like palm fronds draping out the top, hard to see in photos

My custom Lowe's conduit shaft

Gilted button, button with wool/cotton thread, and the 3rd Regiment of Rifleman Button (1814-15)

Lot with wheat pennies also found

Old bottle with rough cut opening, glass lip, and melted glass "solder" holding the lip on

1810 Large Cent

3rd Regiment of Rifleman again

One of my favorites of the weekend, a 1612ish "Coin of Cleves", German, Coin

Small sword/gun hilt cap.

Thanks for looking, it was definitely a busy couple of weeks!

Well, that is the type of detecting adventure everyone dreams of. You did great with your research to pinpoint that spot. The pictures are amazing! That really adds color to your experience out there.

Back
Top Bottom