• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

keep it or sell it?

Depends on what it is, I suppose. If it is something of great historical significance, it might be fun to hold onto, but as a general rule, I would sell anything I found that was very valuable.

I hope I get the chance to do so! :grin: So far no takers on my pull tabs and can slaw.

-Mike-

If it is something that retains its value and I didn't need the money I would keep it for 'show-n-tell'. If selling it would help the quality of life for me and my family then I would sell it.

If you found something of great value (several thousand dollars or more) would you keep it or sell it?

I have this greedy uncle and if he finds out about me making money he always tries to take some from me. I would sell it for sure, that would be easy for me. But I would not post it or talk about it here, that would be the tough part. Hope you did or do find something, and I hope you post it here! ;)

I have a buddy, over the years he has found a lot of rings but 3 of the rings were valued over $2,000 each and being the sand hunter that he is, he does not want to sell them (he's a better man then me, for sure). I would have taken some pictures to show people and put them up for sale.

It all depends on what it is and who finds it. Some people sell everything, others keep it. Female companions often get the nice jewelry :D , and that is a good deal too. If it were a single item, unidentifiable, I would likely talk about it here. If, however, it was a cache that I have been seeking, and was lucky enough to find, word would never get out. As to cashing in the cache, I would likely enjoy it for a while, then cash it in - at least some of it. RickO

Depends on if I needed the money now or later, I would probably save it.

I have this greedy uncle and if he finds out about me making money he always tries to take some from me. I would sell it for sure, that would be easy for me. But I would not post it or talk about it here, that would be the tough part. Hope you did or do find something, and I hope you post it here! ;)

I agree, not talking about it or posting it sure would be tough!!:yes:

I'd most likly sell it. Unless it was something that really got to my "collecting" side. I'm sure I'd post and talk about it even if I did sell it. Not sure why you wouldn't want tell post/talk about it. Like we all said as kids "finders keepers"

If I found a 1909-S VDB Lincoln, I *might* keep it.

If I found a 1916 Liberty Standing 25c, I would probably sell it.

If I found a rare bronze coin of the Seleukid Usurper Molon, your next chance to get it would be at my estate sale. :)

-- Tom

If i felt some kind of connection to the piece or i just thought it was really cool i would hang on to it, but if it was a ring or bracelet or something i had no connection to i'd sell.

I would probably sell any jewlery as long as they aren't gold chains. But I would keep all my old coins no matter how much they are worth. Just because I'm a coin fanatic. :lol:

Probably....

I'm looking to buy a new zero turn mower so I need some $$. If I found something of significance that could be tied to a person or family I'd try to return it. Significant historical value and I'd approach it cautiously. Think I'd start at the local historical society.
Marty

I'm a packrat and would probably keep everything I found, unless a legitimate owner could be located. The rings and jewelry would go to my daughter and the coins would be added to my collection.

"If you gave me a penny for my thoughts, I would owe you change!!"

I wouldn't sell anything unless I either needed the money, or the landowner
wanted a share.

Unless we were talking mega bucks :)

I'd sell if I needed the cash, otherwise likely hoard.
For instance, I love merc. dimes - A 1916d would be be bucks. However, the only difference between a 1943 dime, and the 16D, is date and mintmark. So I'd likely buy a mint slabbed 1943 with the profits, to ease the pain, and flip the 1916d - and buy something I can actually use. Down payment on land out in the country for camping, etc. etc. etc. I've only go so much space here ta hoard stuff!

tough question. I sold a 14k nugget money clip I'd found for 200, had I saved it until now it'll bring close to 1000. Sometimes it's better to hang on to some finds.

If it were something of a great historical value I would seriously consider a museum. I am currently relic hunting around the area where I live for just that reason. There is a visitors center and local museum opening here in the coming months and I plan to either loan or donate some of my nicer finds. I would rather see others get to enjoy the pieces than to just display them in my house just to look at.

Back
Top Bottom