Unbelieveable story

Dirt E. Diggler

Found a sterling silver ID bracelet today at a site near Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. I did a little research of the name on it and came up with an article about a PFC George Babas from Lodi, Ca that attended training at Fort Leonard Wood in 1943. Unbelieveably he was still listed in the White Pages in Lodi, Ca with an age of 91. I called the number but got no answer so I left a message, which I'm sure sounded crazy. Honestly I never thought he would still be alive so I started trying to find any relatives in the area. I called a few numbers but never got an answer. After about an hour of my original call to the owner I tried again, this time I got an answer and guess what, yep George Babas. I explained to him that I had found his bracelet while metal detecting and would love to return it. He told me that I was welcome to keep it but I told him that I would really like to return it to him. He offered to pay for postage but of course I declined. He was just amazed. This is the most satisfying part of the hobby for me. Lost 70 years ago and tomorrow it will on it's way back to it's owner.

Attachments

• 101_0132.jpg
    101_0132.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Very nice story!
To think in a few days he will be holding it, and reflecting back on his life seventy years ago, when he was a young man of 21
Congrats on the find and the great research

Man, that is awesome! I've DREAMT about being able to do something like that someday! Good for you!:yes:

what a great story...I too would love to make a return of such someday....may good karma come your way on your next hunt...GL+HH.....cliffy.

Back
Top Bottom