In line quick on/off switch for 3.5 ear phones?

Gorgar

Elite Member
Hi. Is there an expensive quick in line on/off switch for 3.5 mm Ear phones/buds? I don’t seem to be able to find any? I use ATP Pro but I made a 3.5 standard ear buds adaptor. If only I can find a in line switch to quickly turn off the chatter when I lay it down to dig. I do not want to have to turn off my machine to have to reset it every time. Any ideas? Thanks.

I've never seen such a beast. I've only seen in-line volume controls, which would be more fiddly than a switch, but way better than unplugging / replugging...

If you could successfully disassemble one, you could probably modify it...

This could work for your needs. It is made to switch audio to a different output, but without that second output being there it would function basically as you are wanting.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-audio-...subtag=tomshardware-us-8772287094949473000-20

Thanks. i think that will work, but it’s a overkill with an extra audio out and price. Just wondering why it’s hard to find a simple solution for annoying chatter when I try to use my pointer at the same time without turning off my machine. . Seems like a common issue? I could just unplug my ear buds, but a switch would be better. I thought about just soldering up a switch and female male jacks, but have not researched that idea.

NOOO you didn't! Those are for coaxial (barrel) power connections -- 3.5mm OD and 1.35mm ID. Hope you didn't already order!

Yes. I did. You are right. These connectors are close but wrong type. They were very inexpensive. Shipping was quick. But my mistake. I see the power switch has only two connections....And pin in the barrels maybe I can open it,,, or splice it to a earplug line,,,,,but earplugs have 3 stereo wires.... So I am still looking for an answer or solution. Maybe just push sensitivity button down a few times on my machine...LOL

One I did for my head phones on the AQ..simple since the cable is easier to work with and the audio comes thru the same connector for the battery..I love it for it can get very noisy when digging and your scoop comes near the detector.

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 264
Use a meter to figure out which wires correspond to R and L.
Ideally they are red and white, but don't count on it.
Ground may be black or green, again, don't count on it. Or uninsulated wire around the L and R wires.

Use a switch that has 2 circuits. Open the circuits for R and L wires to kill sound, close them for normal operation. Leave ground always connected.

Attachments

• stereoplug.jpg
    stereoplug.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 182
A very quick and very dirty drawing attached.

Attachments

• double_pole_audio_switch.jpg
    double_pole_audio_switch.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
If you just want to attenuate the chatter in your headphone, connect 1K resistors between the 2 switch contacts for L and R. This will lower the volume in your headphone without completely shutting it off. Closing the switch will bridge the resistors and will put through the full volume again.

Thanks. Will let you know. I know continuity checking with a meter and can solder. I will try it.

Back
Top Bottom