Equinox 800 WM O8 wireless audio module question

GKL

Forum Supporter
This is not a big deal, but is there any real advantage to using the WM O8 wireless audio module as opposed to simply wirelessly connecting the included wireless headphones directly to the Nox ?

The web page below only seems to indicate this advantage: "Up to four WM 08 Modules can be connected to an EQUINOX detector for group training"

https://www.minelab.com/accessories/wm-08-wireless-audio-module

Back when I first got my Nox I used the module simply because it was included.

This year I realized hey, the wireless headphones can connect directly to the Nox so why bother with the module, and the headphones seem to work just as well directly connected.

Now I'll still keep the module handy just in case I do have a need for it, like maybe if the wireless function of the headphones goes bad where I do need the module.

Equinox_800_wireless_audio_module.jpg

You can use better phones if you use the WM 08 than the ones that Minlab includes with the 800.
They are ok but just ok...to my ears, anyway.
Neither system seems to have any lag or not enough that I can tell.

Thanks Digger27, I'm not disagreeing that there are likely better headphones out there, but since the ones included have been working good for me I like to try to preserve my hobby budget for when I might really need a new thing-a-ma-jig detecting accessory :lol:

.....but I agree that is another advantage to having that module !

Using the WM 08 as a go between to connect your already wireless set to the Nox is redundant, unless you are teaching, I guess, but in real life when does that ever happen to most hunters?
I love the idea and the sound of better wired headphones and the module is very handy because it negates the wire between you and the detector but there is still a wire coming from wired phones to the unit.
I usually ran that wire down under my shirt to the module mounted on my belt and it was ok but I sometimes worried I would lose the thing and not notice it or something...like maybe walking around between sites not swinging and listening for signals.
Paranoid I know but that thing did fall off my belt a few times but I noticed it right away.
Honestly after using the supplied phones and no module and no wires I got real used to that and ended up liking that most of all.
Total freedom, no worries about losing the module, no loose wires to stress or break...it was better.
I just was never completely happy using the Minelab phones because the sound was muddy to me but I got used to them too and they worked well enough.
Recently I got some Aukey wireless ear buds and they paired with the Nox just fine, sound better to me than the Minelab phones and in the heat they are also better so things are looking up.
In the winter on colder days I will probably revert back to using the module and my Killer B's full over the ear phones which sound great and will keep my ears warm.
I still have the Minelab phones too if needed for some reason.

Always nice to have more than one option handy.

I believe the delay of the WM 08 is 17ms, while the bluetooth direct with the "fast bluetooth" (I forget what it is technically called) is 40ms. You can check the specs on that to be sure. Whether you can tell the difference, I dunno (BTW, I assume when you say "direct connect" you mean direct thru the bluetooth wirelessly, not wired).

Using the WM 08 as a go between to connect your already wireless set to the Nox is redundant, unless you are teaching, I guess, but in real life when does that ever happen to most hunters?
I love the idea and the sound of better wired headphones and the module is very handy because it negates the wire between you and the detector but there is still a wire coming from wired phones to the unit.
I usually ran that wire down under my shirt to the module mounted on my belt and it was ok but I sometimes worried I would lose the thing and not notice it or something...like maybe walking around between sites not swinging and listening for signals.
Paranoid I know but that thing did fall off my belt a few times but I noticed it right away.
Honestly after using the supplied phones and no module and no wires I got real used to that and ended up liking that most of all.
Total freedom, no worries about losing the module, no loose wires to stress or break...it was better.
I just was never completely happy using the Minelab phones because the sound was muddy to me but I got used to them too and they worked well enough.
Recently I got some Aukey wireless ear buds and they paired with the Nox just fine, sound better to me than the Minelab phones and in the heat they are also better so things are looking up.
In the winter on colder days I will probably revert back to using the module and my Killer B's full over the ear phones which sound great and will keep my ears warm.
I still have the Minelab phones too if needed for some reason.

Always nice to have more than one option handy.

I can relate, to me the wire from the headphone to the module felt somewhat awkward, so it was so much better to just wirelessly connect the headphones without the module in between.

Now I don't know if headphones ever have their wireless ability stop working, but if so I guess the headphones could still then be used with the module.

I believe the delay of the WM 08 is 17ms, while the bluetooth direct with the "fast bluetooth" (I forget what it is technically called) is 40ms. You can check the specs on that to be sure. Whether you can tell the difference, I dunno (BTW, I assume when you say "direct connect" you mean direct thru the bluetooth wirelessly, not wired).

Sorry, I did mean wirelessly via bluetooth when I said direct connect. I haven't sensed any noticeable delay either way, so that is good.

This.

The WM 08 does have less lag, but few people can perceive such a difference. And it allows you to use a nice pair of wired headphones wirelessly by plugging the wired headphones into the module. There are also some people who have bluetooth issues with aftermarket headphones/earbuds with their Nox so it would probably help them.

This.

The WM 08 does have less lag, but few people can perceive such a difference. And it allows you to use a nice pair of wired headphones wirelessly by plugging the wired headphones into the module. There are also some people who have bluetooth issues with aftermarket headphones/earbuds with their Nox so it would probably help them.

I do like the fact that the module does allow you the option of using other headphones if you ever chose to.

All I ever use is my WMO8. I use wired ear buds for safety. l clip the wire to the front of my !!!! neck collar and run the wire inside my shirt to my front pocket.
Headphones make me nervous. I like to hear my surroundings.
Doug

All I ever use is my WMO8. I use wired ear buds for safety. l clip the wire to the front of my !!!! neck collar and run the wire inside my shirt to my front pocket.
Headphones make me nervous. I like to hear my surroundings.
Doug

I do have a real good set of ear buds I use with my laptop computer, it would be interesting to see how well they work with the module, I might prefer them for the extra hot days when the headphones get sweaty, but I have kinda gotten used to the headphones otherwise.

If I am really seriously looking for exceptionally deep coins and relics that are at the edge of detection I use the WM08 with high quality earbuds or headphones with less bass and more treble. I also use the WM08 in iron or aluminum trash when I need minimum lag, fast target recovery speed, good unmasking and when high treble pitches really need to pop. I use the WM08 when I am gold prospecting and need to hear the faintest sound whether I am using 1 tone in the gold modes or a 2 tone version of Park or Field 2. I usually use higher quality over the ear headphones with really good noise cancelling for prospecting unless it is rattlesnake season.

Anytime I am just doing basic coin and jewelry detecting in a park or school yard I will either use the ML80s if it is cold or windy and I will use Bluetooth wireless earbuds if it is really hot.

If I am really seriously looking for exceptionally deep coins and relics that are at the edge of detection I use the WM08 with high quality earbuds or headphones with less bass and more treble. I also use the WM08 in iron or aluminum trash when I need minimum lag, fast target recovery speed, good unmasking and when high treble pitches really need to pop. I use the WM08 when I am gold prospecting and need to hear the faintest sound whether I am using 1 tone in the gold modes or a 2 tone version of Park or Field 2. I usually use higher quality over the ear headphones with really good noise cancelling for prospecting unless it is rattlesnake season.

Anytime I am just doing basic coin and jewelry detecting in a park or school yard I will either use the ML80s if it is cold or windy and I will use Bluetooth wireless earbuds if it is really hot.

That covers a lot of scenarios in detail for me to consider, thanks !

You’ve just convinced me to finally pull my WM 08 module out of the packaging and give it a try in certain situations - thanks for a thorough overview of when/why you choose to implement the WM 08. Hopefully mine will still accept a decent charge...it’s just been sitting uncharged for 2 years!

You’ve just convinced me to finally pull my WM 08 module out of the packaging and give it a try in certain situations - thanks for a thorough overview of when/why you choose to implement the WM 08. Hopefully mine will still accept a decent charge...it’s just been sitting uncharged for 2 years!

I agree, nicely detailed overview ! As far as if your WM08 will charge up enough, if not, then MAYBE a power bank MIGHT help, if the battery is not too far gone.

Here is the manual online:

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1%20Inst.%20Manual,%20EQUINOX%20600%20800%20EN.pdf

Here is from the manual:
WM08_charging.jpg

My WM08 has a charging light difference from the directions posted above. My WM08 does not show a blinking green light while charging. It does have a continuous green light when fully charged.

I started using my WM08 module when the stock headphones kept having trouble pairing with the 800, via bluetooth. The headphones used to pair automatically as they should, but if they didn't, the proper pairing procedure did not always work as expected. Very frustrating. Kept happening too. So I pulled out the module, and was pleased that it just paired by itself; right away...and every time. Much more reliable. Also, it has a stronger, more stable connection that doesn't start cutting out when you walk a few steps away. I can't say I notice a lag time improvement, but there is something about it that just sounds better. I run the cord under my shirt, or stuff it in an upper pocket, depending on what I'm wearing. When the cord hangs out on one side, I always manage to snag it with the detector, so it has to be carefully routed.
I hadn't thought about using it specifically for the more demanding types of tone hunting, but now that jmaclen mentioned it, I will have renewed confidence in those situations; using my WM08.

My WM08 has a charging light difference from the directions posted above. My WM08 does not show a blinking green light while charging. It does have a continuous green light when fully charged.

Faulty LED circuitry. But if it charges, indicates full charge, and holds a long battery life, I guess it's OK. I just like to see the blinking, so I know it's working. Mine outlasts the detector's charge every time.

Thanks to Foragist for addressing your comment !

I started using my WM08 module when the stock headphones kept having trouble pairing with the 800, via bluetooth. The headphones used to pair automatically as they should, but if they didn't, the proper pairing procedure did not always work as expected. Very frustrating. Kept happening too. So I pulled out the module, and was pleased that it just paired by itself; right away...and every time. Much more reliable. Also, it has a stronger, more stable connection that doesn't start cutting out when you walk a few steps away. I can't say I notice a lag time improvement, but there is something about it that just sounds better. I run the cord under my shirt, or stuff it in an upper pocket, depending on what I'm wearing. When the cord hangs out on one side, I always manage to snag it with the detector, so it has to be carefully routed.
I hadn't thought about using it specifically for the more demanding types of tone hunting, but now that jmaclen mentioned it, I will have renewed confidence in those situations; using my WM08.

My headphones usually pair okay, though on my hunt today I had to retry it and it paired and worked fine afterwards.

Last year when I used the WM08 module I clipped it to my belt but didn't run the cord under my shirt to limit the loose cord getting in the way.

I'd be leery putting the WM08 module in my shirt pocket because with this weather I usually get soaked with sweat by halfway thru my hunt and wouldn't want to risk shorting it out :lol:

If I ever start having a recurring problem with the headphones pairing I'd be okay with using the WM08 module again.

Faulty LED circuitry. But if it charges, indicates full charge, and holds a long battery life, I guess it's OK. I just like to see the blinking, so I know it's working. Mine outlasts the detector's charge every time.

My batteries all hold up fine for my hunts as my hunts usually run anywhere from about 2 to 3 hours with 2 1/2 hours being the average, I'm usually drenched with sweat and wore out from the heat by then anyhow :lol:

Anyhow, my normal routine when I get home from a hunt is to immediately put my detector on it's charger, my headphones on it's charger, the 9volt rechargeable battery I used in my pinpointer in it's charger, and if my car has had enough miles since it's last charge I'll plug it in to recharge also :lol:

I agree, nicely detailed overview ! As far as if your WM08 will charge up enough, if not, then MAYBE a power bank MIGHT help, if the battery is not too far gone...

Just as a follow up for anyone interested, my WM 08 accepted a charge just fine even after sitting for just shy of 2 years. I’ve used it on two hunts so far - each was only about 2-3 hours and I recharged it between each hunt, so I don’t know yet whether the extended nap has affected overall capacity, but I’m optimistic the unit is unfazed by the long storage time (I had it in the original packaging and stored in a dry, relatively cool basement).

Now I have to upgrade my wired earbuds :lol: I quickly learned my old ones that I pressed into service don’t create a good enough seal like my better quality BT earbuds - they’re letting in too much ambient noise. I was hunting one of my usual parks close to a well traveled road and the traffic noise was a surprising distraction...Detecting Equipment 101, quality equipment/accessories makes a difference :lol:

Back
Top Bottom