Shortage of coins in circulation due to virus

My wife and I coin roll hunt pennies from time to time. She got a call from the bank this morning asking if we had any pennies at home that we haven't turned back in yet. Apparently, the bank was told they can't order coins until further notice. We have a few boxes we are taking back to them next week.

My wife is the manager of a local motel and she said she has not had problems getting change.

Of course many people pay by credit card, and the ones who pay by cash don't get any coin change as the room rate is figured so that when tax is added it comes out to an even dollar amount. The exception is when someone pays for a weekly rate it comes out so there is coin change involved if they pay by cash. Other than that occasionally someone might ask for change for the vending machine.

Been hoarding bills, mostly ones and fives. For the next lockdown, and in case the banks/ATM’s shut for any length of time.

My credit union's office has been open and I called about all of my coins I've gathered over 11 years. They stuck to the policy of charging 5% on every thing more that $100. It's always been that way. I don't believe there's a coin shortgage.

My credit union's office has been open and I called about all of my coins I've gathered over 11 years. They stuck to the policy of charging 5% on every thing more that $100. It's always been that way. I don't believe there's a coin shortgage.
Martin it’s outrageous that they’re charging a member a fee. My CU’s counting machine has handled thousands of dollars worth of my coin for over a decade and never a fee. Especially since soon we will be at zero percent rates or less on our savings accounts. I would find another credit union.

credit union

Martin it’s outrageous that they’re charging a member a fee. My CU’s counting machine has handled thousands of dollars worth of my coin for over a decade and never a fee. Especially since soon we will be at zero percent rates or less on our savings accounts. I would find another credit union.

Pretty sure mine does not charge either , never cashed them there yet , still sitting in containers in the basement . Need to get it done though.

Take it in in $100 loads.

Take it in in $100 loads.

That was the stamped-answer from my CU, but I answered, "We have like 20 trips @$100 a session. It seems easier to just pay the dam 5%, one time, and save the hassle. In the end, I still doubt that there is a coin shortage at all.

My attitude today, is to check other banks, CU-s and just leave the CU I've used since 1985. They just aren't customer focused over this simple issue.

Back
Top Bottom