Equinox: using 4khz for deep coins

detectorben

Elite Member
So after doing some testing over several hunts in old parks I am really starting to see the value of the 4khz frequency on equinox. What I have found works best for me is to use multi frequency in all metal mode and watch and listen for even the smallest blip of high tone and vdi. Then I switch over to 4khz set on my user profile button to double check target. If signal clears up and stabalizes in 4khz it is almost always a deep coin. It works well the other way as well. I have searched in 4khz double checking signals in multi to see if signal erodes and vdi drops way low. If the site has a ton of iron it will false alot in 4k so I will use multi first to sniff out targets. I was only tricked by a deep nail once on this last hunt using this method. All these coins were found in parks I have been hunting for years and the barber quarter was found in an area I have grid searched in 2 directions. Soil was very dry also which often lowers depth capability.

Here is the video showing live digs with tones and vdi.

https://youtu.be/dsGePCjamgg

49a180f02e84bcb8714bc87a53b475db.jpg
2ea1f5ec00fa5c7bc5946fd72a38fb39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great job digging those deep targets! And thanks for another fantastic video - this one and your "Digging deep silver with Minelab Equinox" video are pretty much "must watch" for anyone who owns an Equinox and wants to know how the machine alerts on deep, desirable targets.

For reference, here's the forum thread that highlights Detectorben's other excellent video, and also has some very insightful comments from other experienced users:

Finding Deep Coins with Minelab Equinox

Direct link to Detectorben's "Digging deep silver with Minelab Equinox" video from a couple months ago:

Also, here's the direct link for his current video so it'll play without leaving the forum:

Have you compared it to a single 5 kHz frequency. Just curious to see the difference between 5 and 4 kHz.

Have you compared it to a single 5 kHz frequency. Just curious to see the difference between 5 and 4 kHz.
5khz tends to have a lot of emi in my area. But I will try to compare a few deep targets with it next hunt.

So after doing some testing over several hunts in old parks I am really starting to see the value of the 4khz frequency on equinox. What I have found works best for me is to use multi frequency in all metal mode and watch and listen for even the smallest blip of high tone and vdi. Then I switch over to 4khz set on my user profile button to double check target. If signal clears up and stabalizes in 4khz it is almost always a deep coin. It works well the other way as well. I have searched in 4khz double checking signals in multi to see if signal erodes and vdi drops way low. If the site has a ton of iron it will false alot in 4k so I will use multi first to sniff out targets. I was only tricked by a deep nail once on this last hunt using this method. All these coins were found in parks I have been hunting for years and the barber quarter was found in an area I have grid searched in 2 directions. Soil was very dry also which often lowers depth capability.

Here is the video showing live digs with tones and vdi.

https://youtu.be/dsGePCjamgg

49a180f02e84bcb8714bc87a53b475db.jpg
2ea1f5ec00fa5c7bc5946fd72a38fb39.jpg

First thanks for your testing efforts, but those are not the worst iffy signals I have seen. I will dig signals like those all day if deep enough. Now I run Park2 and know everybody has their preference, but I have much better luck on deep silver with Park2. Why I can't get Park1 to work is because at least for me in the places I use it I get way more falsing than in Park2. I have dug silver dimes and Wheats as deep and deeper than what you were in Park2 in conditions that were wetter. Never that dry. My ground is clay and like concrete right now so I can't even test 4kHz.

I am just skeptical 4kHz will help me or clean up an iffy signal that could be a very deep falsing iron nail in the first place. I have a place just like yours hunted so hard that all the easy signals are long gone. All that is left is iffy's, and I have pretty much dug the best of those iffy's already.

Skepticism aside thanks again for your testing efforts and will try 4kHz and your method when conditions improve.

Your machine seemed a little chatty what was your sensitivity on?

First thanks for your testing efforts, but those are not the worst iffy signals I have seen. I will dig signals like those all day if deep enough. Now I run Park2 and know everybody has their preference, but I have much better luck on deep silver with Park2. Why I can't get Park1 to work is because at least for me in the places I use it I get way more falsing than in Park2. I have dug silver dimes and Wheats as deep and deeper than what you were in Park2 in conditions that were wetter. Never that dry. My ground is clay and like concrete right now so I can't even test 4kHz.

I am just skeptical 4kHz will help me or clean up an iffy signal that could be a very deep falsing iron nail in the first place. I have a place just like yours hunted so hard that all the easy signals are long gone. All that is left is iffy's, and I have pretty much dug the best of those iffy's already.

Skepticism aside thanks again for your testing efforts and will try 4kHz and your method when conditions improve.

Your machine seemed a little chatty what was your sensitivity on?
I wish I would have recorded the lead up to the quarter signal. It was nothing more than a blip in all directions with noise all around it. Once I narrowed in on it and wiggled over it the signal improved enough to investigate. But it's one of those signals in passing that I think 99% of the time gets passed over without notice. Hence why it was still in this pounded area.

I honestly set out on a hunt last week after several people suggested park 2 was deeper again to test it in my favorite local 1880s park. The only signals left there are very deep and iffy. I hunted for hours in park 2 with not so much as a single deep target worth investigating. I keep going back to park 2 just to be sure and I am yet to find a single deep coin. Rarely find any coins at all in park 2. I'm convinced it just doesn't work well in my soil or there is some other issue. But park 1 just nails coins much better for me. Just like certain machines work well for some and not so much for others I believe settings are similar. Some settings just work better for a detectorists ears and hunting style and not so much for others.

Yes it was a bit chatty but it doesn't really bother me. I was running max sensitivity. I have been over this park and this area many times running lower sensitivity and last few trips I have maxed it out to try and reach the deepest targets. But last time I covered this area in multi before update and I missed all these wheats and barber quarter.

Thanks for watching and the feedback as always.

I wish I would have recorded the lead up to the quarter signal. It was nothing more than a blip in all directions with noise all around it. Once I narrowed in on it and wiggled over it the signal improved enough to investigate. But it's one of those signals in passing that I think 99% of the time gets passed over without notice. Hence why it was still in this pounded area.

I honestly set out on a hunt last week after several people suggested park 2 was deeper again to test it in my favorite local 1880s park. The only signals left there are very deep and iffy. I hunted for hours in park 2 with not so much as a single deep target worth investigating. I keep going back to park 2 just to be sure and I am yet to find a single deep coin. Rarely find any coins at all in park 2. I'm convinced it just doesn't work well in my soil or there is some other issue. But park 1 just nails coins much better for me. Just like certain machines work well for some and not so much for others I believe settings are similar. Some settings just work better for a detectorists ears and hunting style and not so much for others.

Yes it was a bit chatty but it doesn't really bother me. I was running max sensitivity. I have been over this park and this area many times running lower sensitivity and last few trips I have maxed it out to try and reach the deepest targets. But last time I covered this area in multi before update and I missed all these wheats and barber quarter.

Thanks for watching and the feedback as always.

My park is not as old as yours. No barbers, but also no Rosie's. Just deep Mercs, Wheats and Buffs,. One War nickel. Zero deep quarters which makes me think someone got to those already. Yeah I am the exact opposite of you. I was finding deep silver in this park using Park2 and thought Park1 should hit silver better supposedly, but I never found not one silver using Park1. I set everything up the same as Park2 and it just did not work me. I was digging more deep iron.

In Park2 I would just catch a faint short high tone. When I zeroed in on the target I always circle it several times to make the decision to dig or not. I had a really high silver to junk ratio in Park2. It was like in Park2 I had a much easier time telling what was a deep coin. I use a predator digger and all the silver was a full blade length plus. They were never found inside the plug. All found in late winter and spring with super moist ground conditions.

I really prefer to dig in this park when the grass is dormant and there is plenty of ground moisture. There are very few people out there when it's colder. I hate popping up those deep plugs with people around. I will give a try this winter and spring and hopefully 4Khz will allow me to find a few more silvers.

This is good info. I just updated the firmware on my recently purchased 800 and am looking forward to trying 4khz out!

Back
Top Bottom