Getting back in the game. Equinox 800?

Magnusbob

Hello,

I've been out of the Metal Detecting game for a few years (stressful job and a much less stressful marriage). Recently, I'm convinced that it's time to get back in the game. I've only hunted less than 15-20 times total with a Fisher F2 and never got anything better than a wheat penny. But, honestly, I know that's not enough digs, and I miss the hunt.

I'm very intrigued by the Minelab Equinox 800. I've always known that an upgrade from the Fisher was probably necessary if I wanted a reliable chance of finding silver coins, but the CTX 3030 always seemed like a ton of cash.

I'll always be a part timer but I do think a new machine would increase my enjoyment.

I'm open to thoughts and opinions. Also, if you want to share ideas for good starter Minnesota hunting grounds, I'd appreciate the advice from the more experienced. Thanks.

I would consider the garrett apex you could get one for under 500 and have a lot of money left over a pin pointer and still have a lot of cash left.i heard their coming out this week

I used the F2 for 3 years...Found a ton including silver coins and lots of silver and gold jewelry.
Moved to a Fisher F70 now known as the Teknetics Patriot at $399...Found a ton both shallow and way deeper including silver coins and lots of silver and gold jewelry.
I also hunt with a Nox now...Found a ton including silver coins and silver and gold jewelry.

Out of the three the F70 is still the most fun to hunt with for me because of how it works and the intuitive interface between the tool and the user.
However the Nox works extremely well in the sites I hunt because I am blessed with heavy mineralization and an obnoxious amount of iron I am forced to deal with.
Still have more fun with the F70 but the Nox and multi freak tech just makes it a bit easier to deal with my challenges and is gaining a reputation for finding the goods under both very easy and very difficult conditions.

10 years ago when I bought the F2 nobody had a clue about what would be offered with the newer generation of detectors we have available now like the Simplex, Vanquish and probably the soon to arrive Apex or the ability they would possess at the low to mid-range price points they would be sold for.

It's a new dawn for dirt hunters now, I don't know what kind of soil or site conditions you have and I can't tell you what you personally would enjoy using the most out of the current crop of capable platforms but you sure have a lot to choose from that we never had before.

Thanks for the comments. I'm just now becoming aware of the Garrett Ace Apex. Interesting... and apparently coming out this month.

Do people have comments about how the Equinox compares to the Apex?

Thanks for the comments. I'm just now becoming aware of the Garrett Ace Apex. Interesting... and apparently coming out this month.

Do people have comments about how the Equinox compares to the Apex?

But strangely, the Apex is not waterproof. The Equinox is fully submersible up to 10 feet.

But strangely, the Apex is not waterproof. The Equinox is fully submersible up to 10 feet.

But submerge the Equinox at your own risk! LOL Sorry just had to say it, many are reporting Equinox's leaking. I'm not a water hunter so that really doesn't bother me.

That aside, the Equinox is a great metal detector and probably the most popular these days. I have the Nox 600 and I really like it.

I have the Nox 600 and 800. Unless you are going to be seriously gold prospecting, the Equinox 600 has a ton of outstanding features. It does not come with Bluetooth wireless headphones but third party ones that are compatible are easy to buy on those big online sites.

The Apex by Garrett looks on paper like quite a nice detector. Until it gets tested by independent testers who can talk about the warts (if there are any) we just won't know and that August release date could easily be September.

On paper, the Apex does not come up to the Equinox 600 feature set. It is a bit better than the new Minelab Vanquish 540 but Minelab's first firmware update did add adjustable iron audio volume to the 540. I would look carefully at the Apex and the Vanquish 540.

You could also look at the Nokta Makro Simplex and Multi Kruzer which have great features and are fully waterproof like the Equinox and yes Nokta Makro detectors leak too. So did my Garrett AT Pro.

Like already mentioned, the Teknetics Patriot/Fisher F70 is a really good deal too even though they don't have the more modern features of the latest tech from Garrett, Minelab and Nokta Makro.

But submerge the Equinox at your own risk! LOL Sorry just had to say it, many are reporting Equinox's leaking. I'm not a water hunter so that really doesn't bother me.

That aside, the Equinox is a great metal detector and probably the most popular these days. I have the Nox 600 and I really like it.

Been submerging mine since February without issues! (knock on wood...).

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Equinox 800 or the new Garrett Apex that’s due out soon.

Does anyone have strong opinions about the comparison that isn’t common knowledge? It’s difficult to determine when the Apex will be released and I’m debating if it’s worth waiting for if the majority of people would recommend the Equinox anyway.

Grateful for the insights. Thanks.

I agree with JAK, if you live within 100 miles of me get anything but a nox :laughing: but really I got back into detecting after 10 years and got an 800 and absolutely love it. Seems to preform well especially for the price. I know there are a lot of great detectors out there and I’m far from an expert but the ability to just turn it on and use it without messing with much is a plus for someone “new” but whatever you get best of luck on your future hunts!

Liked the 800 so much that I got an extra like new that I don't really need.

Don't forget about the Vanquish though. It has multi-iq tech without added complexity. Vanquish 540 and Apex may be a closer comparison but interested to see them in action together.

Eqx and Kruzer are waterproof if that's appealing.

How is the overall construction quality of the Nox machines? Besides leaking issues...I've seen a number of people say they broke the tabs off their coils making them useless. Any other issues with them? I have an AT Pro and it's a great machine. I also have a Simplex and I'm less than impressed. Looking for something to replace the Simplex and upgrade from the AT Pro. Thinking Nox 600 if it will hold up in the field...maybe the Apex once non-sponsored reviewers start getting hands on it...perhaps even something like the Anfibio...but I'm afraid if I didn't click with the Simplex...I might not click with the Anfibio either and that's an expensive pill to swallow.

How is the overall construction quality of the Nox machines? Besides leaking issues...I've seen a number of people say they broke the tabs off their coils making them useless. Any other issues with them? I have an AT Pro and it's a great machine. I also have a Simplex and I'm less than impressed. Looking for something to replace the Simplex and upgrade from the AT Pro. Thinking Nox 600 if it will hold up in the field...maybe the Apex once non-sponsored reviewers start getting hands on it...perhaps even something like the Anfibio...but I'm afraid if I didn't click with the Simplex...I might not click with the Anfibio either and that's an expensive pill to swallow.

I have the 600 and coming from a Fisher F75 which is very solid and ergonomic I wasn't thrilled with the construction quality. But I really love the performance of the Nox so much I bought the 3d printed support for the weak coil ear problem, a carbon fiber shaft for the wobbly shaft and a metal arm cuff to replace the fragile stock arm cuff. I've never broken either but they do look and feel fragile. Minelab should have done better but my upgrades were less than the price of most coils so I'm still really happy with my purchase. And of course some people are happy with the Nox in stock configuration.

They are Not very rugged. Although.....if you take care of them they will be ok. Stem is wobbly too. It is just not very robust at all. Your Garrett is built like a tank compared to an equinox. But it is a very light weight unit and easy to swing.

I have thousands of hours on an Equinox 800 and an Equinox 600. Absolutely no problems even with the components that some call flimsy. I am not particularly careful with my Nox detectors and they do take a beating from the extreme weather and landscape in the places I hunt.

People that use their Nox mostly submerged in saltwater surf or freshwater lakes need to upgrade the shaft, arm cuff and add the coil ear strengtheners. Those salt and fresh water sand, salt and wave action conditions stress any detector.

Also, those who have trouble getting up from recovering a target and use the Equinox for a crutch will also risk breaking the arm cuff and coil ears.

Over tightening the coil nut will also break the coil ears.

The arm cuff can be upgraded easily and there are also several covers that protect the original arm cuff and make it more comfortable.

The shaft wobble is most noticeable when the coil is covered with sand, mud or being used around boulders, long grass, stubble or trees. I added a little plumbers teflon tape to the lower shaft which took care of the problem.

I have had issues with a former AT Pro leaking and had the same one's control box break off the shaft. I also had a Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer leak. I could give many more examples from problems I've had with build quality and electronic malfunctions from every brand even the ones that are supposedly built like tanks.

The Equinox is an outstanding all around detector that can detect just about as well as any VLF detector on the market in every detecting situation. I own three of them and may pick up a fourth. Most of my other detectors which were great machines for specific situations are now former detectors. They are not appreciably better than the Equinox in my opinion.

Regarding build quality, I found some of the units mentioned to be in a different order.
F75 < Equinox < Nokta Makro

Build quality of the equinoxes has been far and away better than F75 but perhaps it's just me. Coil ears on F75 also seemed MUCH weaker and honestly flimsy in comparison, which is not meant as criticism for anyone's experience otherwise. Ergos are totally flipped with Eqx falling behind. I also appreciate the quality and ergos of the Vanquish series, so there's that.

3 piece shafts on Equinox may have long term durability issues but that's easier to address than construction shortcomings of controls. The control for the 600 & 800 screams modern tech, engineering, materials, and construction. Nokta Makro MK and Anfibio have a rugged metal control chassis, but it can be argued that they aren't as sleek, size efficient, and lightweight as the ML.

I have detected for 14 years but had not gotten out much the past 4-5 year due to very busy work situation. I picked up the Nox600 this spring and have really gotten back to hunting the way I did 5+ years ago and I love the machine! Simple to use and it does a great job at sniffing out targets all around. Good luck!

I ordered an Equinox 800 today! I'm very excited to have my MD arrive.

Thanks to everyone for your insight and knowledge!!! It really helped with my decision.

Plus, I'm sure the APEX will no doubt be released IMMEDIATELY as a result. You're welcome. Ha!

Back
Top Bottom