• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Gold or AT Max

StankFish

I have a AT Pro and would like to get another machine. Should I get the AT Gold or wait for the AT Max. There does not seem to be much of an improvement from the Gold to the Max. Your thoughts please?

Welcome to the forum.

You have loads of detector choices.
Depending on how much you want to spend.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

I have a AT Pro and would like to get another machine. Should I get the AT Gold or wait for the AT Max. There does not seem to be much of an improvement from the Gold to the Max. Your thoughts please?

What kind of detecting do you do and what kind of soil?

For me, it was the MAX all the way. I was in the market to step up from my ACE 400 to something with waterproof capability. Many of the things that bothered me about the ACE were included in the MAX, so I went for it. The timing was almost perfect in that the MAX was just in field testing, but not yet available. I watched enough reviews to make me feel comfortable with my still open pre-order. Personally, I love the wireless headphone concept, adjustable external volume and backlit screen, larger VDI, etc. All of those things I will use often.

If you haven't watched it already, I highly recommend this depth comparison by The Hoover Boys between the ATP, ATG and MAX. The MAX kills it with the ATG doing quite well too.

Max now that production models have the back lit screen and volume control. I also looked at the price of the extra coils, headphones etc. Kind of like buying a copier but watching the price of the extras too.

I'd love to have a a MAX but am still happy with my AT Gold for now so I don't see myself upgrading. Can't justify spending all that $ just for a couple more "bells and whistles ". To me a true upgrade would be be going beyond what Garrett offers. That's why I'm currently saving all my clad for a CTX 3030! :grin:

Thanks for all the info. I am in southeastern Va. I guess I should wait for the MAX. Any word when it will be available? I don't believe they are waiting to print manuals as that will all be online.

Thanks for all the info. I am in southeastern Va. I guess I should wait for the MAX. Any word when it will be available? I don't believe they are waiting to print manuals as that will all be online.

Word is "August" and that's all Garrett will divulge. I have called twice. :)

Only get another Garrett if you sell the AtPro to help pay for it, then get the MAX.

If you keep the Pro go for another brand/type to complement the PRo and work better in different circumstances, like a E-Trac.

Forgot this:

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:fmdfwelcome:

One more thing. The MAX instruction manual is now posted on the Garrett website for download. I am not sure why there are "MAX haters" out there but download and read for yourself all the great features. It's weird to me that some people bash the MAX as "hype." It truly has some amazing features and tech built into it and I am pumped to get it. I hope you join those of us who have ordered it, but only if it makes sense for your needs.

Hey Kev, if you wanted to borrow mine just ask!!! LOL

I'd love to have a a MAX but am still happy with my AT Gold for now so I don't see myself upgrading. Can't justify spending all that $ just for a couple more "bells and whistles ". To me a true upgrade would be be going beyond what Garrett offers. That's why I'm currently saving all my clad for a CTX 3030! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom