• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Not sure what this is

Keliasz

Ok so im new to metal detecting. had my AT Pro about 3 weeks now and have had some time to get used to it and what its telling me. Went to the In-Laws house in Tobyhanna PA, for a birthday party and figured since the wifes dad was gonna tear up and re level the back yard he would let me dig into it. He sure did and i found 12 cents in clad, an aluminum clamp, a whole 6 foot length of aluminum siding, brown, and what seems to be a large weight of some sort. Its about 2 feet long, 6 inches thick with some holes that go all the way through. Well this damn thing weighed about 250 lbs, not even close to joking. Took three of us to lift it up and out But i have no idea what it is. Someone said it may be a counter weight for an old farm tractor.
Brick1.jpg
Brick2.jpg
Brick3.jpg
Brick4.jpg

I've seen elevator counterweights that look similar. I would bet it's a counterweight for something. What was in the area before the homes?

I'm with GKL on the tractor weight idea. Does that hole near the middle have a keyway in it? Looks kinda like some I've seen where you'd insert the crank to start the engine on some old ones.

Brother in law took it to work today put it on a scale and its exactly 250lbs. Hes got a sandblaster he wants to run over it with see if he can find a name or anything definitive.

Clad and counterweights, you're off to a good start :grin: that beats can slaw all day :laughing:

I'm intrigued as to what your find actually came from.

Definitely a counterweight. Either backhoe or maybe small crane. Counterweights can fetch some $$$ if you can figure out what it came off of!

You dug that up? Carried it home? 250lbs of Americana Cast Iron! Yeah buddy, you sure hold the record here! A few years back some guy unearthed a WW2 Panzer in some swamp in Poland...but yeah...for this year, You got it!

I think its cool as hell and enjoyed your post! Most all heavy grey cast iron comes in from China nowadays, but yours is old enough to be American! Maybe theres a buried steam tractor out there even? Drop Disc! Iron Audio ON!

Thanks Mud,, you've inspired me Im going back to look for the rest of that tractor :digginahole:

Thanks Mud,, you've inspired me Im going back to look for the rest of that tractor :digginahole:

Man, you have some fuel to burn I guess, mucho cred to ya!

I would have left it as soon as I determined it was ferrous....:laughing:

I would have probably gotten hurt trying to get it back if it was anything else besides iron lol..

Nice work!

<°)))>{

It's a leaverite

Leave er right there!

I dont know...Funny story...I was out hunting in the water a few years back and came across 4 large round heavy metallic objects..they were the size of a small bowling ball and heavy as hell!....I just figured they were some damned old buoy anchors or something left over from the old log mill days, plus it was a hell of a climb up a hill to get out of there and I was finding some Merc silver dimes...so I left them...

Then I mentioned this to my Hunting buddy and forum Member STURRAT...I said, "I found some old cannonballs down in this place and left them there"...So he goes down and hauls three of the four up to his car, and along the way, he pulls a SEATED Q That I missed! He takes those worthless 'balls' home and cleans them up, and SURE enough! Freaking Cannonballs! He sold them for $200 each!:mad::laughing: Theres still the one out in there that he missed....

Attachments

• dec-23-1.jpg
    dec-23-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 127
I dont know...Funny story...I was out hunting in the water a few years back and came across 4 large round heavy metallic objects..they were the size of a small bowling ball and heavy as hell!....I just figured they were some damned old buoy anchors or something left over from the old log mill days, plus it was a hell of a climb up a hill to get out of there and I was finding some Merc silver dimes...so I left them...

Then I mentioned this to my Hunting buddy and forum Member STURRAT...I said, "I found some old cannonballs down in this place and left them there"...So he goes down and hauls three of the four up to his car, and along the way, he pulls a SEATED Q That I missed! He takes those worthless 'balls' home and cleans them up, and SURE enough! Freaking Cannonballs! He sold them for $200 each!:mad::laughing: Theres still the one out in there that he missed....

......you mean you FORGOT to tell him about the 20% finder's fee ? money-hand-off-smiley-emoticon.gif :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep, it has value, but I'm too old to try and lug that back to the car! LOL That's why I'd leaverite there!

Back
Top Bottom