• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Is 1 bitcoin really worth 1/4lb of platinum

If one of us ever figures out a way to dig up a bitcoin we'll have to try and cash it in for plat and see what happens. :?:

If one of us ever figures out a way to dig up a bitcoin we'll have to try and cash it in for plat and see what happens. :?:

You can just sit there and let your laptop mine it. Google team bitcoin mining. Your computer links up with others to mine. Almost 3oz of gold for 1 bitcon

It seems like some kind of gimmick, scam to me. Is it like stocks or what. I just don't see how somehow someone just made up a new money system, unless I'm just missing something here. :?:

I found $800 in clad in 2010 when Bitcoin was .08c ea!....I was watching Bitcoin on several Financial sites and was aware of all the Pro/Con discussions...I just didnt understand it, like a 401k kind of rip off deal.....So I wisely invested the dirt money on metal detecting gear as MY plan to get rich quick!..:laughing:.

Bitcoin kept going up, up, UP! Gold stayed the same, and then the easy clad ran out.....and here I am, with detecting gear and empty pockets!...I do have a fairly substantial collection of Beanie Babies and some certified Collector plates from the Franklin mint as a nest egg investment.

I wonder how rich I would be today if I had bought Bitcoins back in 2010 with that $800 dirty clad? I bet I could get some decent waders and maybe even a Minelab!! I'm not good at math..obviously...

Regarding riches, They say, "You cant take it with you" And I'm doing my best to assure that will not be an issue for me to worry about...! :laughing:.

Last edited:
I found $800 in clad in 2010 when Bitcoin was .08c ea!....I was watching Bitcoin on several Financial sites and was aware of all the Pro/Con discussions...I just didnt get any and didnt understand it.....So I wisely invested the dirt money on metal detecting gear as MY plan to get rich quick!..:laughing:.

Bitcoin kept going up, up, UP! Gold stayed the same, and then the easy clad ran out...So I switched to Gold hunting...and here I am, with detecting gear and empty pockets!...I do have a fairly substantial collection of Beanie Babies and some certified Collector plates from the Franklin mint as a nest egg investment.

I wonder how rich I would be today if I had bought Bitcoins back in 2010 with that $800 dirty clad? I'm not good at math..obviously...:laughing:.

I've been aware of Bitcoin for a few years now. I have heard in the beginning, you could actually get paid in Bitcoin with a few companies...can't see how that would work now with the exchange so high? I can't afford it now that's for sure. Think it started around 2008 or so...? Not sure.

HDD

I've been aware of Bitcoin for a few years now. I have heard in the beginning, you could actually get paid in Bitcoin with a few companies...can't see how that would work now with the exchange so high? I can't afford it now that's for sure. Think it started around 2008 or so...? Not sure.

HDD

Well yeah...Similarly, just try taking a silver dollar into the local Stop and Rob and try to make a purchase with that? For $10 gas and $6 of beer? Try buying a 16oz cup of coffee with a merc dime even! Try taking a fist full of gold coins to a car dealership to purchase a new truck? Try taking a Barber Half down to the pizza store for a $5 pie! Unpossible! "Get the hell out of here!" Oh wait, you got bitcoins? Step right up!

Thats why hunting clad was so succulent of an easy target!...Immediate Real World payback!.. Empty cans for 10cent redemption is even better! No tumbling or Coinstar fees or any special gear required! If it were not for the trunkspace requirements and the yellowjackets, thats about the easiest Money around!!

Nowadays, "Money is NO respector of effort or intelligence"...Thats what I like to tell myself, and my Wife would concur....We really got scammed with this Metal Detecting marketing format! "Oh Boy! Hunt for Treasure!" All a guy had to do was buy some Bitcoins back in 2010! Sometimes a guy can be too smart for their own good!

Last edited:
First transaction with bitcoin was used to buy a pizza, if I remember correctly. Those buttcoin would be over $30,000,000 now.
In my opinion it's a ploy to keep people out of metals.
Asia has most of the gold now. So create some fake bs system in an attempt to sway public opinions.
Sort of like keeping a 1965 Cadillac in the garage and polishing it every week and driving it through town once a week. Then forced to sell due to unforseen circumstances and buying a new mountain bike.

First transaction with bitcoin was used to buy a pizza, if I remember correctly. Those buttcoin would be over $30,000,000 now.

30 MILLION Dollars!~ Oh Man! Thats Johnny Depp Island buying money there!

Well, at least I still got the Beanie Babies....and those Plates! I suppose a guy could make a comfortable and plush nest under the overpass with the Beanie babies and a tarp, scatter around the plates to collect rainwater..maybe go hunt up a bit of totlot clad for incidental frivolous expenditures....:?:

Plus, I bet a guy could get a decent Mountain Bike at a Garage sale with the empty can redemption proceeds...or just pick up an abandoned/unsecured one for free at the local schoolyard...Maybe one with baskets even! To ride South in October and hunt the Sunny Florida Gold heavy beaches? A guy has to plan ahead and be smart!...Winter is Coming....:laughing:

My mind boggles when I think about it. 1/4lb of platinum. Think how much energy, effort, research, etc.
30 MILLION Dollars!~ Oh Man! Thats Johnny Depp Island buying money there!

Well, at least I still got the Beanie Babies....and those Plates! I suppose a guy could make a comfortable and plush nest under the overpass with the Beanie babies and a tarp, scatter around the plates to collect rainwater..maybe go hunt up a bit of totlot clad for incidental frivolous expenditures....:?:

Plus, I bet a guy could get a decent Mountain Bike at a Garage sale with the empty can redemption proceeds...or just pick up an abandoned/unsecured one for free at the local schoolyard...Maybe one with baskets even! To ride South in October and hunt the Sunny Florida Gold heavy beaches? A guy has to plan ahead and be smart!...Winter is Coming....:laughing:

Fancy a gamble? Similar to Bitcoin? Grab yourself a 100 bucks worth of XRP/Ripple

They make platinum coins, maybe someone will dig one up eventually :lol:

Platinum coin
platinumcoin.jpg

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/platinum-coins/

http://www.apmex.com/spotprices/platinum-price

platinumprice.jpggoldprices.jpgmetalprices.jpg

My mind boggles when I think about it. 1/4lb of platinum. Think how much energy, effort, research, etc.

A Bic lighter is worth a Million Dollars in the right circumstances...I always have one in my pocket but have never come across the right circumstances to profit astronomically yet to buy my own private island...

If perhaps, Warren Buffett's limo is broken down in the middle of a subZ Oklahojma blizzard, and all will be freezing to death in short order, and here I am coming home from a schoolyard clad hunt in my 2001 Chevy Prism???...With a lighter and some found totlot Hostess HoHos? Yeah!..High cotton then for old Mud!

What good is a Bitcoin or a Silver dollar in these conditions??...Or anything else for that matter? Not even a bank account does dick!....Bic Lighters and Hostess HoHos is where the real money is at! I'm Just out hunting for the right circumstances!....Warren Buffett has a sweet tooth!...He owns Sees Candy for crissakes...! I bet I could sell him my hat an gloves for another 100K! I would only accept cash of course...or gold...If he even tries to negotiate, I'd hold the line and jack it up 50K for every minute of my tumbling time wasted...

"Heres your lighter, a hat and and a HoHo!....pleasure doing business with you Sir"...I have a knife if you are interested...200k!...its a chinese Dollar store Junker I just found in a middleschool totter,, but from the looks of your freezing body guards and cannibalistic drooling limo driver,I'd say its a fair deal..If you want to see tomorrows Sunrise this side of a digestive tract, and want to eat that HoHo unopposed tonight, I'd go for the Knife option" :laughing::laughing:.

"I can club them to death for you Sir, for another paltry 500K, and make you a nice warm 'sleeping bag' to crawl into while you wait for AAA to show up in the morning?" Thats the thing I've learned on this cruel Planet, its all about Timing!.

Succinctly put...Life is all About being able to make fire, always have a knife ready, and Timing!..No matter the ages and situations that befall a Man, you gotta make fire and have a knife at the bare minimum! No Bank account balance or Bitcoin wallet or silver dime can compensate in the extremes..the money is made on the extremes like Bitcoin...sooner or later, you need basic skills like making fire, or skinning a limo driver, especially in a blizzard....

.If it was Zuckerberg or Gates? Lena Dunham or Oprah? yeah..I'd just drive right on by of course and come back tomorrow for the clothes and watches...a guy has to look at the big picture and set some personal philanthropic boundaries weighing the ROI benefits! ..:laughing:

Last edited:
The more I think about it the dumber it seems.

1/4lb of 999 minted platinum for 1 bitcoin

At the height of the tulip mania, a tulip, known as "the Viceroy" (viseroij), displayed in the 1637 Dutch catalog Verzameling van een Meenigte Tulipaanen. Its bulb cost between 3,000 and 4,200 guilders (florins) depending on size. Then it crashed.

At the height of the tulip mania, a tulip, known as "the Viceroy" (viseroij), displayed in the 1637 Dutch catalog Verzameling van een Meenigte Tulipaanen. Its bulb cost between 3,000 and 4,200 guilders (florins) depending on size. Then it crashed.

Supply and demand , kind of like Mudpuppy's Beanie Baby stockpile . All fads die out sooner or later.

The more I think about it the dumber it seems.

1/4lb of 999 minted platinum for 1 bitcoin

On that note, is a watch with the name "rolex" really worth $13,000, when the metal content is only worth a few hundred? Seems dumb, too.

It's all about demand and scarcity.

Just read an interesting article in Wired, this morning, that went on to explain some of the nuances of "currency" using prison currency as a method of explanation.

They explained that the prisoners would exchange packets of mackerel as currency. But here's the rub. Expired packets still had value. There was no real "protein value" to them, they were literally garbage, but they retained a Mackerel Money value to the inmates in the system. New packets were worth $1.50, and Mackeral Money (expired packets) were worth about $1.

What made a completely value-less commodity have a value?
First... Scarcity. Every year, the 500 inmates could only get 14 packets of mackerel a week, no more mackerel could be added to to the system. It fixed the production of the "Currency" ensuring it's scarcity (think... like bitcoin mining does... there's only ever a limited amount).

Second... Networked socialization. The inmates fully bought-in to the system that mackerel money had value. Just like we have bought into the fact that a linen green-inked rectangle that has a $20 printed on it, is worth more than a linen green-inked rectangle that has a $1 printed on it. The only value the "fiat" currency has is based on the scarcity and demand. Any fiat currency is actually value-less, until a population is bought-in, then it actually DOES have value. You can buy stuff with a $20. It should not be surprising that someone or many someones would accept another form of fiat currency as well (even if it's just an exchange market). We trade fiat dollars for fiat Yuan, or fiat Yen, all the time.

What is MORE suprising is that it's so dang hard to trade actual metals without converting first to "Fake" currency, like bitcoin or dollars.

Basically, the same principles apply with bitcoin, my friend, as they do with other fiat currencies, or even products like Rolex, and Debeers diamonds, and any host of other "it's not really worth that" items...

Cheers,

Skippy

Fancy a gamble? Similar to Bitcoin? Grab yourself a 100 bucks worth of XRP/Ripple

If I were to actually buy into the phoney baloney I would buy 1 created and controlled by 1 of the banks. Look what they do to silver and gold on a regular basis. Mr yellen fills up their tank with paper at a whim. If they want bitcoin at 3k or .30 it will be.... so the question is why 3k, What is the purpose. If you can figure out the answer and position yourself ahead of time.
I suspect the vaults are nearly empty for several reasons.

Back
Top Bottom