1 year with the MXT

Semtav

Elite Member
Just passed the first year with my detector. Far exceeded my expectations. Pretty sure my second year won't come close as beginners luck dealt me a winning hand.
1 IHP
91 wheat
2 V nickels
1 war nickel
18 Rosie's
18 Mercury
7 quarters
1 Benjamin half
1 Morgan dollar
5 tokens
1 RR tag
2 crotal bells
And 1 Sterling ring

Not to mention about $100 in clad and numerous containers of "stuff".
Having a high producing virgin sight right next door to work couldn't have even been dreamed of. Now the real work begins. Trying to continue without getting discouraged. I've only found 1 wheat penny in the last month, but work and weather cut my hunting to the bone. May be over 100 wheats as my son sorted thru and picked out the ones he didn't have.

6cdab3d082c76de6279bcd133f9c1351.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Congrats on a great year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beautiful Group shot and outstanding in field performance Semtav! You got a Silver Dollar and a BF half! Both of which are indeed rare bucketlisters! Excellent! Love it!

You've done great !
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a great year
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beautiful Group shot and outstanding in field performance Semtav! You got a Silver Dollar and a BF half! Both of which are indeed rare bucketlisters! Excellent! Love it!

That's a fantastic year of hunting! Congrats on all of that silver!

GREAT YEAR ! beautiful finds !

Thanks all. I have to admit it was 90% beginners luck. and the MXT altho not the deepest machine around is very simple and forgiving to use.

Thanks all. I have to admit it was 90% beginners luck. and the MXT altho not the deepest machine around is very simple and forgiving to use.

I see nothing wrong with your finds I think you have been very successful ... as to depth.. its a very deep machine... are you hunting coin and jewelry mode? I never hunt that mode... its always relic mode.. you will get at least 2 more inches of depth with it... sure the numbers will be different but its worth it... I used to use the 10 inch DD coil but now use the SEF 8x6 just as deep as the DD with much better target separation in the heavy iron.

I see nothing wrong with your finds I think you have been very successful ... as to depth.. its a very deep machine... are you hunting coin and jewelry mode? I never hunt that mode... its always relic mode.. you will get at least 2 more inches of depth with it... sure the numbers will be different but its worth it... I used to use the 10 inch DD coil but now use the SEF 8x6 just as deep as the DD with much better target separation in the heavy iron.

Thanks Cfmct
Maybe instead of dreaming of an F75, I just need to spend more time exploring the boundaries of the MXT. I hunt in the jewelry mode because those are the tones I like and recognize. Im a tone hunter and then look at the vdi for verification. I struggle in the relic mode. maybe if I clear the area with the jewelry mode and then go back and see what the relic mode yields. Its not going to rain so the F75 may be off the table this year anyway.

Thanks Cfmct
Maybe instead of dreaming of an F75, I just need to spend more time exploring the boundaries of the MXT. I hunt in the jewelry mode because those are the tones I like and recognize. Im a tone hunter and then look at the vdi for verification. I struggle in the relic mode. maybe if I clear the area with the jewelry mode and then go back and see what the relic mode yields. Its not going to rain so the F75 may be off the table this year anyway.

I hunt relic mode, 2 tone, my gain is set to +3 if I can get away with it... today I was fighting with a dog fence and alarm so I had to back it off to +1... I also run my disc at either 1 or no disc at all...I want to hear everything including the iron grunts... best find today was a complete colonial shoe buckle..

I used to own a original T2 the green one without the boost and that was the only detector I would use in parks because it had a great bottle cap program where it would sound off in 1 direction and null in the other.. if I was to hunt parks or schools again I would get another but I only hunt private property these days so I rarely dig those things anymore.

I always run my MXT in relic mode.....the gain as high as i can go...and disc at 1....Air test it hits mercs solid at 11 inches

but how do you two hunt, by the tones? or by looking at the vdi each time? I can't hunt by tones in relic mode.

I dont usually dig the low tone iron.....anything over 16 on vdi i dig, so I guess I go more on VDI.....i know i might be missing some gold by not digging it all, but in my experience I have never dug anything good under 16 lol nickels hit at 16-18, sometimes 20. I never dig 22, its ALWAYS pull tabs on my machine lol

I dont usually dig the low tone iron.....anything over 16 on vdi i dig, so I guess I go more on VDI.....i know i might be missing some gold by not digging it all, but in my experience I have never dug anything good under 16 lol nickels hit at 16-18, sometimes 20. I never dig 22, its ALWAYS pull tabs on my machine lol

22 to 26 are pull tabs as to gold I dug a old gold pin and it came in at a 7 every since then its been nothing but foil...

I don't know if its my dirt "red clay" but silver has been coming in at 45/7 when its deep if its shallow the numbers are higher... the 2 half dimes I pulled both came in at 45...

I don't dig iron either unless I have a signal jumping into the positive numbers then I will and usually there is something good along with the ferrous target.

I only use the numbers on the MXT as a reference anyway...

but how do you two hunt, by the tones? or by looking at the vdi each time? I can't hunt by tones in relic mode.

Its easy to hunt relic mode... high tone "non-ferrous" and low tone "ferrous"

I'll never use C&J mode...

well I'll keep trying, see if I can get the hang of it, but at present I can distinguish the pull tabs and bottle caps from the coins just from sounds. then vdi to verify.or if its rusty tin and the bar isn't big I can skip it. I'm not a jewelry hunter on purpose (yet). Guess its how a guy learns is what is easiest to do.At homestead its just the opposite, all the pull tab signals are usually shells or interesting tidbits. I'll see if I can learn more next outing instead of just hunting the same old way.

Its easy to hunt relic mode... high tone "non-ferrous" and low tone "ferrous"

I'll never use C&J mode...

Tried it for a while today. still don't like the two tones. but yea, i tested some coins and it is definitely deeper. Remembered something I read back a ways about getting it to 4 tone on relic, so I tried that. I think its as deep, and still has 4 tones. just have to put up with all that noise on iron. will run that a while and see how it works.

Congratulations on a super year! Hopefully the next will be even better.

Thanks Jak. Can't even fathom it being as good.

Back
Top Bottom