• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Most unusual find?

jimhenry

Hey folks as I have mentioned I am just getting back into the hobby after a hiatus of 30-40 years. I recently joined a local club and recounted my story there but I thought I would post it here. Back in the 80s I was a meat dept. manager for Pathmark. In the woods behind the store I worked in was an abandoned farmstead/mansion, very big, and in ruins. No doubt the property was condemned as the Blue Route (I-476) was scheduled to go through there. Well one day after work, what did I find, but a White's Metal Detector!
It seemed to be very old, as it had, as I recall, one of those huge 67.5 volt batteries. Anyway it was very heavy. It may have also been tube operated not sure. We left it there in case someone was coming back for it but it seemed to me that it had been there for years. There were rumors in the area that someone had found a large cache there so that might explain why he left the detector but who knows.
We also found several un-tripped animal traps in the brush there so be careful out there. They too seemed to be pretty old.

Hey folks as I have mentioned I am just getting back into the hobby after a hiatus of 30-40 years. I recently joined a local club and recounted my story there but I thought I would post it here. Back in the 80s I was a meat dept. manager for Pathmark. In the woods behind the store I worked in was an abandoned farmstead/mansion, very big, and in ruins. No doubt the property was condemned as the Blue Route (I-476) was scheduled to go through there. Well one day after work, what did I find, but a White's Metal Detector!
It seemed to be very old, as it had, as I recall, one of those huge 67.5 volt batteries. Anyway it was very heavy. It may have also been tube operated not sure. We left it there in case someone was coming back for it but it seemed to me that it had been there for years. There were rumors in the area that someone had found a large cache there so that might explain why he left the detector but who knows.
We also found several un-tripped animal traps in the brush there so be careful out there. They too seemed to be pretty old.
Hi again Jim. If you could tell it was there for years you should have just "saved it". As far as the animal traps, should have tripped them. If they were left there set, some poor beast may get caught and die there for no good reason. If they were legally set they'd of had name tags on them, usually copper, (PA law). If that was the case, the trapper would merely come back the next day and reset them. I have nothing against legal trapping mind you. Guys occasionally forget where they made a set. I've found a handful of forgotten, neglected traps.
This "mansion" of which you speak, wouldn't be in Springfield would it? If so, I have the back story on that mansion.

Back
Top Bottom