• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need help picking a shovel

Just started out in the hobby. I looked for quite awhile for something to dig with. I have a Garrett hand digger....came with my machine, it's OK and seems to do the job for now. I can see me sharpening it sometime in the future. I opted for the 31" Sampson. It works great!!!Not very heavy or cumbersome and cuts really smooth plugs with minimal effort, even hard clay...:digginahole:

sampson 31 t serrated

Is a great shovel, my # 1 pick, i have two , Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 349

Hey that's what I have ! Don't use it much as I prefer getting down on my knees and digging with a garden tool. I didn't like the angle of the blade so I heated the curve and curved it a bit more so its straight with the handle.

I don't use it in parks, just homesteads.
There I use a little garden tool and try to keep it hid

But I really like the looks of the 31 in Sampson. May have to get one.

I ended up getting the Predatortools Piranha. Wouldn't you know it, after I get it, it goes on sale?! It and the Raven are now $10 off! :doah:

I was looking at the PT Ladybug, and it is a longer handled Raptor. George Lesche popped up on the website chat window, and I suggested that they come out with a longer handled Ladybug, Piranha-length. He is pitching the idea to his family, and said that if they did decide to make it, it would take them a few weeks to make enough to offer for sale, so watch their website, it may appear in a few weeks. Of course, that may not be of interest to everyone, but I like the Raptor blade, and I think a long handle version would sell, at least to some of us with bad backs that don't want to stoop over to dig.

Whoa got me excited with that 10% off. Not on the Raptor though, I'd buy one for under $45 or so, but $50 for trowel isn't gonna happen. I should make one out of this and be done with it.

Attachments

• img_0786.jpg
    img_0786.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Whoa got me excited with that 10% off. Not on the Raptor though, I'd buy one for under $45 or so, but $50 for trowel isn't gonna happen. I should make one out of this and be done with it.

Not 10% off, $10 off.

In my high school shop class, we were taught to use the right tool for the job, and it has been my experience that the best tools cost more than the lesser quality tools. Now some on here have had bad experiences with Predatortools, while others I gather have not. So you pays your money and takes your chances. But I bought cheap before, and the tool failed. I have seen lots of cheap products fail. Generally speaking, it is cheaper to buy a quality tool first instead of buying numerous cheaper tools over and over. But it will depend on your situation. If you are going to give up metal detecting in a week or a month, then throw-away tools are fine. If you are going for the long-haul, then you might as well begin with what you are eventually going to end up buying, and save the expense of wasting money on cheaper tools that will fail. Some people listen to others with experience, others have to learn through actual experience. I'm a bit of both. :lol: One part of me knows that the good stuff costs dearly, :yoda:and the other part of me is a penny-pinching cheap :censored:! :lol: Sometimes I feel like I'm getting ripped-off, (sometimes I'm right!) while other times I accept that if I want quality, I'm going to have to step up and pay for it. That's my life, not pretty, messy, but that is life universally, I think. :shrug:

I just can't decide if I would like the new whites ground hawg or if I want one of those lesche sampson shovels. Any tips, advice or all around buy this one type info would be greatly appreciated.
I just ordered a Nemesis 36" ( Limited Edition Sugar Grape ) a few minutes ago. My other choices were Lesche Sampson T Handle Shovel at only $54.95 with free shipping. My first choice was Model 55 - Barracuda but at $90.95 and $25.00 shipping a bit more than I wanted to spend
The Nemesis is $66.95 and $15.10 shipping reviews say it will not bend

Strong and rigid, and it cuts clean plugs.
weight: 26oz
overall length: 25"
blade width: 6"
price: $11

At Home Depot: HDX Model #2531800 , SKU #617704

hdx-shovels-2531800-64_145.jpg

I got my White's last week. I LOVE IT! Incredible back saver and it cuts a plug like butter!
That being said, I repainted the shaft and T-bar with an olive-gray Rustoleum color to reduce its orangeness! No need to call attention to the shovel from a mile away.
Highly recommended. GREAT shovel! Works well as a detector rest as well.

Back
Top Bottom