Very New Newbie !

Aka60

Hi everyone wonder if anyone can give me some advice I promised my 7 year old grandson I would take him out metal detecting he lives on Canvey Island Essex so hoping the beach would be a good place to start ? only problem being, Nan really has no idea where to start but I has plenty of enthusiasm and one very excited grandson,

The trouble with beach hunting is you need a machine that can handle the salt, and most low-line detectors aren't gonna do that. Might be OK if ya stick to dry sand. What’s the model?

Welcome to the forum.
As mentioned, you should be ok in the dry sand with any Single VLF detector but not the wet where it will get noisy with false hits from the salt water. A multi-frequency detector will handle the wet or dry sand and if waterproof can actually be submerged.
For the beach the only other thing I would recommend is a long handled stainless steel scoop. A small hand scoop will get frustrating rather quickly.
Down the road maybe pickup a pin pointer like a Garrett AT Pin Pointer. Avoid the knock offs as they’re cheaply made and usually don’t last..
Ask us any questions you may have and good luck!

Thank you so much for your replies now I can let you into my secret my husband (64) asked our son (37) to get me a detector for my birthday as a surprise and what a surprise it is I asked my son had he read up before buying it ' Mum its 5 stars all the way it's got amazing reviews ' and yes it has if you are 10 or under yes I have a child's detector ! lucky I'm 5ft 2, so not letting this set me back I shall take one of my grandchildren and work alongside him while I order my own birthday present lol on a positive note maybe a good way to start

Good luck ! Find some gold coins. So that we can keep the next generations hooked :cool3:

Welcome from San Jose, CA! Best of luck finding that detector so you and your grandson can spend time together!

Thank you all for the warm welcome I will keep you all updated just excited to get started maybe more so than my grandson whom I have told we are going come rain or shine x

Thank you so much for your replies now I can let you into my secret my husband (64) asked our son (37) to get me a detector for my birthday as a surprise and what a surprise it is I asked my son had he read up before buying it ' Mum its 5 stars all the way it's got amazing reviews ' and yes it has if you are 10 or under yes I have a child's detector ! lucky I'm 5ft 2, so not letting this set me back I shall take one of my grandchildren and work alongside him while I order my own birthday present lol on a positive note maybe a good way to start

WELCOME!! We several members from your part of the world!

Do you know the maker and model of your detector? I am sure someone here will offer assistance.

Back
Top Bottom