Inner City Park Finds

Diabolik

Elite Member
I’ve been lucky enough to get out the last couple of Sundays with markinswpa to one of the city parks here and it has been a blast. I’ve found about $7 worth of clad, 3 rings, an old brass valve stem cap/tool, several wheats and a really old 3 ring bullet. Silver has eluded me but there is still plenty of ground to cover. I have managed to avoid pull tabs almost completely in exchange for a fantastic collection of twist off bottle caps. There seems to be no shortage of them in our city.

Attachments

• 3DF2396C-DE9A-4DEA-A96D-01D4D608C1B3.jpg
    3DF2396C-DE9A-4DEA-A96D-01D4D608C1B3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 30244B29-FC8A-499F-9660-04C84837791A.jpg
    30244B29-FC8A-499F-9660-04C84837791A.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 482
  • 8C52E450-334D-4395-A72F-1057DC207CE9.jpg
    8C52E450-334D-4395-A72F-1057DC207CE9.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 8638B697-0523-43DF-AB1B-EDD95D4D74D6.jpg
    8638B697-0523-43DF-AB1B-EDD95D4D74D6.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 4A136C06-B2BC-4450-A6F3-5702C95F0693.jpeg
    4A136C06-B2BC-4450-A6F3-5702C95F0693.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 514
  • DD1EF268-521A-4460-86DB-2EEDF4115F8D.jpeg
    DD1EF268-521A-4460-86DB-2EEDF4115F8D.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Certainly some good pr for the hobby Ryan, with all the observers, including the police asking questions and seeing how neat and tidy we left things. At least one of those cops will be picking up a metal detector one day, he was amazed with that 3 ringer you found. And the kids were interested, maybe a little too much, ha ha. I had to tell that little girl more than once not to reach in the hole. She would have picked all my coins if I had let her. I let her keep 2. Hopefully another future detectorist.
You were definitely hitting the oldies yesterday, I tried a search on that cartridge but came up empty. I believe the R F stands for rimfire but it has a primer. I saw one without a primer the said R F 2 8 but didn't see one the 2 84. Interesting and a very cool find. There's more there but will take alot of patience to uncover it. Any way good hunt, congrats. Mark

Certainly some good pr for the hobby Ryan, with all the observers, including the police asking questions and seeing how neat and tidy we left things. At least one of those cops will be picking up a metal detector one day, he was amazed with that 3 ringer you found. And the kids were interested, maybe a little too much, ha ha. I had to tell that little girl more than once not to reach in the hole. She would have picked all my coins if I had let her. I let her keep 2. Hopefully another future detectorist.
You were definitely hitting the oldies yesterday, I tried a search on that cartridge but came up empty. I believe the R F stands for rimfire but it has a primer. I saw one without a primer the said R F 2 8 but didn't see one the 2 84. Interesting and a very cool find. There's more there but will take alot of patience to uncover it. Any way good hunt, congrats. Mark

Yeah, it was a good outing. Chatting with the police was nice. I found it funny that when they first approached me they said they had to stop over because they thought we looked insane and were curious about what we were doing. LOL Funny because that particular officer was the most interested in detecting and said he could certainly see himself doing it one day. I thought it was really cool that they stopped back in the afternoon to see what we had found. Yes, the kids were getting to be a bit much. That one little girl was over there with you for so long I thought maybe you were giving classes? :lol: Always a good time getting out. Looking forward to hitting that place again. I am determined to find some silver there.

It sound like a MD PR weekend. My son went with me for the first time in 5-6 years, the homeowner that allowed us to hunt his 1767 house and property had his 5-6 year old son show us his metal detector. We hid one of the coins we found and had the property owner's son find it. You would of thought he found a gold brick, he was so happy he found it.

Nice finds! I'm from Uniontown, I'm going to find a few spots out that way when I come out and visit my mother that still lives there. Those Pitt parks have some old history in them... I love it!

It sound like a MD PR weekend. My son went with me for the first time in 5-6 years, the homeowner that allowed us to hunt his 1767 house and property had his 5-6 year old son show us his metal detector. We hid one of the coins we found and had the property owner's son find it. You would of thought he found a gold brick, he was so happy he found it.

Nice finds! I'm from Uniontown, I'm going to find a few spots out that way when I come out and visit my mother that still lives there. Those Pitt parks have some old history in them... I love it!

Thanks, It's always enjoyable talking with people that are interested.

I really like the city parks. You never know what you are going to find. I never find anything nearly as interesting in the County parks.

The cartridge case looks to be a Frankford Arsenal 45-70 case, manufactured between 1882 and 1886. F stands for Frankford Arsenal , R denotes rifle, as opposed to C or carbine. In 1886, Frankford Arsenal decided the F or C stamp was no longer necessary.
Cool old find !!

Here’s a shot of the casing. One interesting not about the casing is that there appears to be a hole punched in the tube almost at the very bottom along the side.

Attachments

• DDCD917E-9E6F-42F2-BEF5-6A345991E33C.jpg
    DDCD917E-9E6F-42F2-BEF5-6A345991E33C.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 421
You done well,,,, I hunt city parks too,,,, But you got to be careful not to get robbed or beat up,,,, just watch your back or take a friend,,,,, :bling:,,,, is want i find

Nice work! I enjoy hearing the stories from the inner city parks. I used to detect Chicago parks and probably have some very similar experiences.

Back
Top Bottom