Relic recoverist...

We may lose all our American detector companies

There are people that post on this and other metal detecting forums that are doing everything they can to make that happen. They needlessly bash brands and put a lot of time and effort into promoting non-American made products.

We may lose all our American detector companies:no:

They need to step it up. Rebadging the same technology and charging more for less is what will put them out of business. There is a huge mark-up on electronics. R&D may be high but production isn't. Look at coils, copper wire, plastic and epoxy = $250??

Some detector users like me have found out that what works best for me and my detecting areas just happens to be detectors made in another country. Would I prefer that my detectors were American made.....sure, especially if they outperformed the ones that weren't American made in my detecting situations. At the moment they don't. For me anyway, it has nothing to do with bashing or promoting detectors or detector companies whether American or not......

I don't know what made Relic-Recoverist start using an Equinox. She may tell us one day or maybe not. I wonder if she will be at the Garrett Hunt.

I agree that American companies need to set it up. At least one is trying to. My point is we need to do our best to support America manufacturing not the opposite.

I am not suggesting that you are a bad person if you are not swinging an American made detector. Detectors are not cheap, and you need to buy what works best for you. Where I live my Max or Pro do everything I need them to do well. If I lived somewhere else where the soil conditions were different I might not be as happy with them.

Last edited:
I think the last thing America is worried about is homegrown metal detector companies to step it up.:laughing:
This is a niche hobbie, and diversity is good and over opinionated

I live in the US, and I know that some other companies are storming the metal detector market. I own Minelab detectors solely, which come from Australia. I don't bash or idolize any brand, I think that all metal detectors with metal detecting in mind are good, whether or not price, quality, depth, etc.

Josh

I live in the US, and I know that some other companies are storming the metal detector market. I own Minelab detectors solely, which come from Australia. I don't bash or idolize any brand, I think that all metal detectors with metal detecting in mind are good, whether or not price, quality, depth, etc.

Josh

I think many of them are manufactured in another country, though. Malaysia comes to mind.

Minelab is part of a really big company called Codan which has offices and production facilities in many countries including the USA. Codan is one of the leaders in the military/law enforcement grade countermine, bomb detection, electronic security and field grade portable radio communications industry. Some of their products are made in the USA. The US military has huge contracts with Codan as do many search and rescue/law enforcement agencies, since they make outstanding products just like their industrial and hobby grade metal detectors which some of us enjoy using.

Minelab is part of a really big company called Codan which has offices and production facilities in many countries including the USA. Codan is one of the leaders in the military/law enforcement grade countermine, bomb detection, electronic security and field grade portable radio communications industry. Some of their products are made in the USA. The US military has huge contracts with Codan as do many search and rescue/law enforcement agencies, since they make outstanding products just like their industrial and hobby grade metal detectors which some of us enjoy using.

Yes, hence there name, MINElab.

Josh

Alot of American companies in general outsource production anyway. If I remember correctly, my Teknetics Eurotek was American(Texas!)-designed but made elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think the last thing America is worried about is homegrown metal detector companies to step it up.:laughing:
This is a niche hobbie, and diversity is good and over opinionated

I am not worried but I would like to see the home team be successful. Tesoro is gone and now Whites. I find no humor in American companies closing their doors.

We may lose all our American detector companies

There are people that post on this and other metal detecting forums that are doing everything they can to make that happen. They needlessly bash brands and put a lot of time and effort into promoting non-American made products.

like xi-ping specials from bejing!..eh heh! !he!

(h.h!)
j.t.

me too! what happened?..they got "beat" in the marketplace! instead of working for hobby
detector manufacturers, your best engineers are being employed by weapons defense contractors in 'skunk works" circuit design to produce improved weapons of war.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Metal detecto: said:

Josh
I've owned and used various Minelab BBS, FBS, V-Flex and Multi-IQ models from the mid-'90s up until last month. I liked their build-quality .. most of the time .. at at times and at the right places some of them worked quite well. Most were made in Australia, but there were the FBS devices from Ireland.

Then after a GPAA gold show in March of 2012, if I recall, the new head US rep for Minelab met with a lot of us Dealers and Distributors for a Minelab meetings. He explained that their new Minelab location was moved to just outside of Chicago, ILL., and also announced some others changes. The more notable one was explaining that the other manufacturing location was no longer used, and all of the Minelab detectors were going to be manufactured i Malaysia.

I have spoken with several people who had an E-Trac from the original production site and then acquired another from the Malaysia production. Generally they said the newer production model seemed to have poorer construction, some said more glitches that called for service, and those who had to get their E-Trac's repaired told me it took longer with the newly-made versions than the older-made units.

Monte

PS: I do not favor any make or model detector based on where it is made. ALL of them, from anywhere, are using electronic components, switches, speakers, displays, and other 'parts' that have come from one or more countries outside the manufacturer's own location.

I base my detector selection on the physical packaging, weight, balance, comfort, available search coils, and in-the-field performance. It either pleases me and works well, or I don't keep it around ... no matter where it was made.

Youtubers change machines all the time. Usually every year... Ummmmm... It's called marketing. Company gives a high profile youtuber a new machine for the exposure. See how it works??? OMG! American detector companies better step it up because Relic Recoverist is using a Nox!!! :laughing: It's just marketing, and by and large, marketing is hype. Marketing execs make big bucks sitting around a table figuring out ways to separate you from your hard earned dollars, and they know their stuff! When I choose a machine, I make the decision based on my own research, not based on what Susie-Lou or anyone else is using. Just sayin...

There are some good posts in this thread. I have learned a few things about Minelab. I knew they were an Australian company, their detectors were made in Malaysia and before Malaysia they were made in Ireland. I did not know they had a parent company with deep pockets or that their older Ireland made detectors were better. It makes sense that moving production from Ireland to the lowest bidder in Malaysia would cause some quality issues.

I don’t know why but before today I assumed that Minelab was a smaller company that was started and run by metal detecting enthusiasts. Honestly I have no idea why I thought that. Looking back I can’t recall reading anything that would support that.

Youtubers change machines all the time. Usually every year... Ummmmm... It's called marketing. Company gives a high profile youtuber a new machine for the exposure. See how it works??? OMG! American detector companies better step it up because Relic Recoverist is using a Nox!!! :laughing: It's just marketing, and by and large, marketing is hype. Marketing execs make big bucks sitting around a table figuring out ways to separate you from your hard earned dollars, and they know their stuff! When I choose a machine, I make the decision based on my own research, not based on what Susie-Lou or anyone else is using. Just sayin...

The Equinox is being used on Hoover boys episodes too. Brad was swinging one while wearing a Garrett hat in an episode. His next find the hat was turned around backwards. Have I not seen Kurt swinging one too occasionally? I know Brad was swinging one in the last episode.

Back
Top Bottom