Found a ring! Now what?

Goldenexpress

I went detecting yesterday and found a 14k white gold mens wedding band in a local park about an inch down. It is my first ring and does have a design around the edges. How should I try and find the owner. I have serious qualms about handing it in to the parks department, becuause I don't know what they would do with it if they couldn't find the owner (probably keep it for themselves). What should I try? I did try craigslist and found no matches since March where the listings ended. What should my next move be?

HH Michael

Thats awesome!! Congrats.. Who knows that ring might have set there 20 or 30 years or lost the same year you found it, I'd hang on to it..

Even though it was only an inch down, in grass roots that can take up to several years to get an inch. With no name it's going to be about impossible to find the "real" owner. I would not give it to the parks dept or anyone else, they will keep it for a little while and if no one claims it ???????. Chances are no one reported it missing because they don't know where they lost it, could be from out of town. PS Good Job and nice start to your gold collection.

I did try craigslist and found no matches since March where the listings ended. What should my next move be?

Since there are no identifying marks, and you have searched the lost items on Craigslist, I say your next move should be to pat yourself on the back for a nice addition to your gold collection. :thumbsup:

Since there are no identifying marks, and you have searched the lost items on Craigslist, I say your next move should be to pat yourself on the back for a nice addition to your gold collection. :thumbsup:

In this circumstance, it's finders keepers! :waytogo:

Keep it, it's yours now. With no markings for identification or anything out of the ordinary no one can claim it anyways.

Throw it in your treasure chest! The owner may have thrown it away because of a bad relationship or divorce. Nice find!

congrats, hold on to it until gold prices go back up then send it to ARA

Not being marked, you won't be able to find the owner. I found an heirloom ring in a school yard and I've called the school administration enough times that I know they're aware of it from "different angles". It's all I can do. I've asked if they had a lost and found log book possibly and don't get any replies that make me think so. Put it in your "special finds" box.

When I find a ring like that I do some Google searches, something like 'lost ring ____ park' and similar variations. If nothing comes up there's really nothing else that can be done. Congratulations.

I have returned 1 one in 15 years hunting, because I was able to find the owner since her name was inscribed in the ring. All the others had no identifing marks, so, finders keepers. Good lesson there. Always mark your stuff.
You have started your collection, enjoy and don't worry about returning something that is not returnable. You can bet that someone would lie to you, just to get it. Keep it, you earned it.

I was really taken back by your post. Wanting to return the ring and all, if there is no name in it and no way to return it I would have to say it yours((ENJOY))

You post that in the papers or where ever and you'll have 1000 people saying they lost it. 1001, I lost that ring about 5 years ago please return. I'll PM you my address where it can be shipped:?:

I'm in a similar situation as you but I have initials in the ring I found and I'm stubborn so I WILL find the owner. :D If there are no identifying marks on yours, congrats and add it to your collection! HH!

You can probably post it in the Found section of the classifieds for free. If there is initials just post that if this description matches a ring you lost, you must give the initials on it. That should sort out some of those just calling to say its theirs.

I found this ring (my first ) with a full name in it. It is a hispanic name and I live in Vegas soooooo.... I searched Facebook, Craig's list, Dex, The white pages, Las Vegas Review Journal Lost and Found and Google. Nadda.

So now I guess I have exhausted all avenues of trying to track down the owner and I should have no qualms about keeping it?

Attachments

• IMG_1069[1].jpg
    IMG_1069[1].jpg
    26 KB · Views: 349
Throw it in your treasure chest! The owner may have thrown it away because of a bad relationship or divorce. Nice find!

That was exactly what I was thinking!

If it were me and it was a bad relationship or divorce, I would't have thrown it away. I would have hocked it and bought as much toilet paper as I could with the money!

Back
Top Bottom