Ethical Question: Detecting at an abandoned cemetery?

TheJester254

Hey guys:

A quick ethical question ...

A few years ago I read in my local newspaper about an abandoned cemetery that was discovered not too far from my work.

I wanna detect at the site because it's old and I can find some interesting pieces, but I don't want to disrespect the deceased.

Thoughts?

Well i read another post similar to this... And it said that the people that knew the dead person might have left some of their belongings in front of the grave and they said that its sort of like stealing since its not something that someone lost... i wouldnt do it :D :coolman:

NO NO NO, i don`t think its a good idea, around the church (if there is one) is acceptable but please not around the graves

I was leaning to not going there, but just wanted to see what the community thought.

It's just that you see some of these awesome finds online and you wanna be able to find something cool like that too.

I wouldn't do it, if I saw someone doing that near an ancestor's grave, it would not turn out well for the person doing the digging.

You have to wait over 500 years

and get a degree in archeaology before you can dig in graveyards. Then it is a scientific expedition.
If you dig it before 500 years, and/or don't have a degree in arch., then it is looting.

This is a fine line, and must not be crossed.

On the other hand, mourners have been known to lose things in parking lots and paths adjacent to cemetaries.
HH,
John Morton

I was leaning to not going there, but just wanted to see what the community thought.

It's just that you see some of these awesome finds online and you wanna be able to find something cool like that too.

You will find cool stuff bud you just have to keep looking. I have never found any of the cool coins you guys pull out of the ground in the U.S I am frothing at the mouth to do so lol You just gotta keep swinging man you will find cool stuff soon enough it just takes time...but in the meantime stay away form the cemeteries its just bad practice...

Back
Top Bottom