lost my Rolex in the yard....help !!

jmcampb

Working in the yard I believe my 18K Rolex slipped off my wrist. I have a metal fence around the pool. I was wondering....does anyone know....will a metal detector just go crazy around the fence, or will it be more sensitive to the gold? There is a lot of shrubbery:mad: around the fence and I believe that is where it is lost. grrrrr !!

Sounds like the expensive El Presidente model. :shock:

A reasonable detector with a small coil should allow you to get real close to the fence. The detector will not only pick up the gold, but the substantial steel mechanism inside the Rolex. What this means is that you'll want to use little discrimination or even use all metal mode. The watch being a recent drop should be on the surface.

As a matter of fact a powerful magnet would probably pick it up, but it may magnetize the steel in the mechanism so don't try this.

yes, it was the expensive one....and all gold, not even the gold/ss model. There is a lot of thick shrubbery around the fence. In fact, while I was doing some work I dropped a tool in the shrub and it was difficult finding it and getting it out. What I am wondering is....won't the fence set of the detector thereby giving the watch little effect?

Sorry to hear about that but you`ll get it back.
Yes a detector will go off in a predictable pattern as you get near the fence but what you want to hear is something different then the predictable sound and thats the target.
Also the small 5" coil will help with with geting closer to the fence.
Heck with a rolex you could find it with an el cheapo handheld, Its a target you cant miss..
Good luck.

You have a few possibilities: The watch made it to the ground; the watch got tangled on one of the branches.

If on the ground, a small coil should make it easier to work it under the branches. Being small and with the right technique you should be able to work the coil to within a couple of inches from the fence. For example, with my MXT and the 4X6 DD coil I can get to within 2" from playground equipment pipes or chair link fences.

If tangled on the branches, you'd want a larger coil. The typical "standard" coil should do it. In all metal mode, hold the coil vertically and scan the shrubbery in all metal mode. Set the gain so that the detector doesn't sound off on the fence.

I was thinking maybe this thread was in the wrong location, but I thought about it again, and I think I'd classify my rolex as treasure too if I had one to lose!

I hope you find it soon.

...try contacting "Rustynail1", a forum member. I believe he lives in Henderson and may be willing to help you!

Wow... good luck finding your watch.. would love to own one of those... very nice indeed. It is there, keep searching - the above advice, from methods to contacting a member is very good. Let us know how you make out. RickO

Forget a metal detector! I would be on my hands and knees along the fence and shrubs until that puppy was back on my wrist!

A great big gold watch... You'd think Ray charles could find something that big if it were on the ground... I'm with Rudy, It sounds like it is hung up somewhere or even in the pool perhaps?

FOUND IT !!! (At least one of your members did.)

Thanks to this forum and RustyNail1 who lives not far. He left his phone number on my voicemail and when I returned his call he was over here within 1/2 hour. What a great guy. When I lost it I kept telling myself to remember what is important in this life....my family, health, security....certainly not my watch. Still, I didn't want to lose it. It has been hanging on this wrist for over 30 years and there is no way I could replace it.

So thank you RustyNail1.

Attachments

• IMGP0001.JPG
    IMGP0001.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 718
Have been waiting for the good news!!!

PHEW!!!

I am thrilled that you have the Rolex back in your possession! You must be so relieved!!

How long did it take Rusty to find it?

(High-five, Rusty!) :tumble: :spin:

Come on Rusty... spill the beans... we want to know how you found it!

How long did it take? Where was it? Give us some kind of story we can swoon over... :D

Rusty? Earth to Rusty... :lol:... Awesome job in any case!

Back
Top Bottom