Tragic story..

bbader61gv

Since rejoining the hobby a couple days ago it has been my goal to find a mercury dime, silver quarter, or any other old coin that comes out of the ground nicely. Well after multiple trips, many hours, and several bug bites later I decide to try this trial that belongs to a University. In one hole I dug up 2 quarters, 1 dime, and 1 nickel. I looked at all the dates and realized I probably hadnt accomplished the goal. I cleaned off one of the quarters and saw that it was from 1965, so I researched what year quarters were made from silver........

1964! I was one year away! It kills me, because I have dug up countless holes these past few days hoping for one of those. Some day...

Sorry to hear about your dissapointment, but hey it was still a great day out in the field was it not? As I wrote in my poster for the contest, "Nomatter the VDI, its always a good day!" :)

i know exactly what you mean. i call those '65 dimes and quarters "teasers". but the good news is if there are '65s there is a good chance that there are '64s in the area as well. Good luck and happy hunting

I dug a '65 quarter today. I thought it was a large copper as it was entirely green, and I couldn't ID it until I got it home and worked on it. I share your pain. Keep swinging, and you'll hit silver eventually.

Don't throw in the towel yet! If you persevere, you WILL hit silver, and once you do, your success will snowball!

Keep at it, and be sure to post the picture when you do find your first silver coin! When you do, you will probably be amazed at how beautiful the coin looks, even before you wash it off! ;)

I joined a metal detecting club years ago, my xlt days. I listened to everyone talk about how much silver and gold they were pulling. I mean they had it out for display for god's sake.

I think it took about 4 months to pull my first silver coin. It wasnt that people were pulling all this silver that was bothering me its that this one guy talked about poping mercs out of the ground like they were candy.

I hadnt pulled a merc yet and it took a total of four years to pull my first merc and for years I watched those mercs roll in and out of the club. Then that one day I stumbled upon a vergin park WOW what a feeling well worth the wait.

If there is truth in advertising I never know what I'm going to find holds true no matter the machine or location. Sorry to hear about not hitting that silver but I'm sure in no time it will start poping out of the ground by the pound.

Jamie

Hey theres alot of us in the same boat you are but we keep trying and getting out and enjoying the hobby anyway . All my coin spills seem to be pennies or all chopped up by lawn mowers but I have fun anyway.

Harold

I suspect there are, and always have been, two sorts of bias in treasure hunting tales:

(A) On the one hand, you have people who fabricate their stories -- to get some respect, maybe they sell metal detectors, make others feel bad, etc. I remember, before entering the hobby myself, seeing a guy metal detecting at an older park and asking if he had any luck. He produced half a dozen mercury dimes in near-mint condition. Righto. More likely, he just came from the coin shop or auction with those.

(B) People who'll keep quiet on their best finds. The opposite of the braggart, they keep their finds discrete. Why divulge a productive ground that you plan on working the next couple weeks? Why interest a potential thief or some other sort of trouble? One of the constant themes in the classic "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" was making sure you hid your goods, hid them under hides while transporting to town. If you've got a productive area, there's no motive at all to advertise it.

The upshot is that I'll believe the braggart if he tells me where he found his goods, I go there myself and pull some silver also. Otherwise, I'll take his story with a grain of salt.

I joined a metal detecting club years ago, my xlt days. I listened to everyone talk about how much silver and gold they were pulling. I mean they had it out for display for god's sake.

I think it took about 4 months to pull my first silver coin. It wasnt that people were pulling all this silver that was bothering me its that this one guy talked about poping mercs out of the ground like they were candy.

I hadnt pulled a merc yet and it took a total of four years to pull my first merc and for years I watched those mercs roll in and out of the club. Then that one day I stumbled upon a vergin park WOW what a feeling well worth the wait.

If there is truth in advertising I never know what I'm going to find holds true no matter the machine or location. Sorry to hear about not hitting that silver but I'm sure in no time it will start poping out of the ground by the pound.

Jamie

No one consistently finds silver coins... sometimes there will be a 'run' of them, likely a pocket spill or where a concession stand was located. So do not despair, they will turn up. Meantime, take the stories with a grain of salt... and a glass of water..:lol: RickO

I just started this year, and only found 3 silver dimes so far. It takes a lot of work, and you just have to find the right places to dig I guess. For the first time the other day, I searched the old sidewalks where the city had dug them up to replace them, and I found my first Indian head penny. Not silver, but a 1901 anyways!. Maybe look for something like that?

Keep at it , I was detecting for a couple years before I started finding silver. Its not as easy to find these days since all the well known spots have been cleaned out. Gotta keep hitting those unknown or hidden places where nobody else would think to look, some of them are well kept secrets and have easy silver.

Back
Top Bottom