about wet my pants. Confederate coin!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
While cleaning up my coins for rolling and taking to Coinstar, I came across a1 cent coin 1861 Confederate States of America. I screamed with joy! SO COOL!

Looked it up. worth $120,000!! Plus, I dinged it, apparently. I'm thinking its now only worth $90,000.

If it weren't counterfeit. Which, of course... it is.

LOL

Skippy

EDIT: Some folks have asked how I know it's counterfeit. Scroll down to the next picture and you'll see the three reasons. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Are you sure it's fake?

Cliff

How do you know it’s a fake?

Three reasons, really.

#1) Spaghetti hair! :)
confederate_cent_real_fake.jpg

#2) And it just feels too light. If it were real, it'd feel more like a large copper cent, I would think.

#3) Sadly, the dead give away is the word COPY written on the obverse (Scratch that... "reverse" is the correct side to look at. Thanks Moparguy!)... :laughing::laughing: In the picture it shows up as COP with the y missing. :) [Scroll back up, and you'll see it, now that you're looking for it!]

I've literally tossed it into my junk drawer. It's a funny story, now. That is all!

Skippy

Last edited:
Three reasons, really.

#1) Spaghetti hair! :)

confederate_cent_real_fake.jpg

#2) And it just feels too light. If it were real, it'd feel more like a large copper cent, I would think.

#3) Sadly, the dead give away is the word COPY written on the obverse... :laughing::laughing: In the picture it shows up as COP with the y missing. :) [Scroll back up, and you'll see it, now that you're looking for it!]

I've literally tossed it into my junk drawer. It's a funny story, now. That is all!

Skippy

[emoji23] [emoji23], ok that third one convinced me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original.

"COP" is a known counterstamp from Charles Ogden Price, a tobacco merchant in Charleston, SC 1852-1863.

The percieved lightness is due to the fact that the south lacked raw materials right from the very start and was forced to use a 40% copper alloy.

(Just kidding, but a neat find either way:D:cool3:)

Interesting find. Thanks for posting that. Been a while since I've seen you post a gold ring. Too hot to get out??

Back
Top Bottom