• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How to find the owner of a Wedding Ring?

PA_Rob

So... I found a wedding ring in a local park. Its 14k Gold with a diamond in it. It also has initials, and a date engraved in the band along with the manufacturers stamp, and a 14k stamp. I've tried the following things with no luck:

-Posted a Craigslist ad.
-Put out a "Found" ad in the local newspaper.
-Called Courthouse to ask about local marriages on the date engraved in the ring - 4 results, but initials didn't match.
-Searched for the manufacturers mark online for 2 hours with no luck (I'll include a picture).
-Called police to ask if there was any reports in the past ~10 years for a ring in that park - there wasn't.
-Called the local parks & rec department - no reports there either.
-Called local wedding dress/flower/jewelry stores to see if they had records of dresses/rings/flower receipts from this date - no luck.

I know that I'm probably trying too hard, but I don't have the heart to sell it, and I don't want it to just sit in my room. Does anyone else have any ideas??? So that I don't cause myself to go insane, I decided that after 90 days, I'll just get rid of it. Hopefully someone has some ideas!!

Thanks for the help, and HH!

-Rob

Makers Mark:

photo.jpg

You've done enough. Time to melt. I've actually had more people tell me where they tossed their rings than where they lost their rings. Marriages end and rings get tossed. Happening every day of the week 365 days a year. I know where several have been thrown. Just a matter of time before I find them and send them to ARA:D

So... I found a wedding ring in a local park. Its 14k Gold with a diamond in it. It also has initials, and a date engraved in the band along with the manufacturers stamp, and a 14k stamp. I've tried the following things with no luck:

-Posted a Craigslist ad.
-Put out a "Found" ad in the local newspaper.
-Called Courthouse to ask about local marriages on the date engraved in the ring - 4 results, but initials didn't match.
-Searched for the manufacturers mark online for 2 hours with no luck (I'll include a picture).
-Called police to ask if there was any reports in the past ~10 years for a ring in that park - there wasn't.
-Called the local parks & rec department - no reports there either.
-Called local wedding dress/flower/jewelry stores to see if they had records of dresses/rings/flower receipts from this date - no luck.

I know that I'm probably trying too hard, but I don't have the heart to sell it, and I don't want it to just sit in my room. Does anyone else have any ideas??? So that I don't cause myself to go insane, I decided that after 90 days, I'll just get rid of it. Hopefully someone has some ideas!!

Thanks for the help, and HH!

-Rob

Makers Mark:

View attachment 272625

Your state's bureau of vital statistics might have wedding records, so maybe you could contact them for a date and initials match. You might also try a funeral director--they have some remarkable resources.

Since it has a diamond, I'm thinking that it is an engagement ring rather than a wedding ring. It's possible that the engagement was broken off and the ring thrown away by the intended bride.

Good luck with your search, I really hope that you find the owner.

I really appreciate all the effort you have gone to in trying to return the ring. It seems like you've done everything you can, and I think you should feel comfortable knowing you made every effort. I just don't think there's much more you can do. Congratulations on the gold, and I hope good karma comes your way for your efforts!

Wow! You tried harder to find the owner than I would have. I commend your effort! One thing to consider is that people come and go, someone may have lost the ring on vacation, or moved away after losing it. If it has been lost for more than a few months, chances are the previous owner may no longer be actively looking for it. Only you can decide when to give up trying to return it. I returned a class ring last year and it was a great experience.

Wow! You tried harder to find the owner than I would have. I commend your effort! One thing to consider is that people come and go, someone may have lost the ring on vacation, or moved away after losing it. If it has been lost for more than a few months, chances are the previous owner may no longer be actively looking for it. Only you can decide when to give up trying to return it. I returned a class ring last year and it was a great experience.

Same here! And that's why I'm really hoping to return this as well, but it's not looking very promising as of now.... :(

You have done about everything you can at this point. I would put it away fur a couple if months and see if anything comes up regarding the original owner. If not sell it with a clear conscience.

+1 on everyone's posts.

In many states, when you notify the authorities of a lost item, they run an ad in the newspaper for 30 days and if no one claims it, you pay for the advertising & storage fees in return for the item and a note that says it is legally yours. The premise of what you did should meet or exceed the status quo.

However, there are several places like "find my ring" and similar named websites which you can browse through to see if the ring was reported.

By the time we find something it probably has been lost for years and years.

I call wedding rings bullion bands because they sell for melt and that's it.

You tried now it is yours. I have only sold 1 ring and it was to my mom. Lol. I keep all my rings for now.

You should feel good with what you have done so far. If you want to keep trying, you could look up marriage records on that date in your state. Some diamonds have an ID number etched in the stone, a jeweler can tell you this by examining it under a microscope.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom