10K happy ending!

007tallguy

Elite Member
i headed off today to the field i've been working and was digging up the usual stuff (nails, foil, etc.) when my phone rang.
hmmm... the office calling me on a Saturday? that by itself was odd since we're not open on weekends.
anyway, long story short, my dispatcher couldn't find my number at home, so he had to go to the office to get it. :lol:

anyway, the daughter of a lady who works at the hardware store was gardening this morning and lost her ring and my dispatcher happened to learn about that while he was doing some shopping, so hence the reason for my phone call and would i be able to have a look for the ring? yup, no problem, i'm on my way!

this was just a small garden area and the girl was scratching the surface and cleaning all the leaves and sticks from it and tossing it all into the woods and by the time she went back into the house, her cherished ring from her mum was gone! "distraught" would be a good word to describe her condition!!

by the time i arrived (20 minute later) she had already calmed down.... knowing that someone was on his way with a detector. :D
as a side note, her boyfriend was finding it quite amusing just how much other "stuff" was there in the ground. keep in mind, i'm not really digging, but i am checking out surface and near-the-surface targets and there were quite a few of them.
so, with the actual garden area pretty much covered, i hit the small area of bushes where she was tossing stuff. it was difficult to see through the clouds of blackflies, but right on the far edge of where the freshly tosses leaves were, i got a good sounding "beep" and i thought i saw a brief flash of gold! :shock: keeping my eye on that spot, i kneel down with the propointer and although my coil had already covered the ring with a few leaves, the PP'er told me i was onto something.
sure enough.... GOLD!!
she's standing near the house and i ask her again to describe the ring for me (making it sound like i want to be absolutely sure about what i'm "still" looking for, hehe).
not letting on that i already had the ring in my hand, i can't count how many OMG's i heard as i casually walked over and handed it to her!! ;)
it was a gift from her mum and was happily returned!! :friends:

i prefer not to take pics of anyone crying, even with tears of joy, but i managed to get a couple of the ring.
oh, and the 1884 large cent i dug in the field just prior to being called to duty. ;)
gee, i hope this is a sign of what the rest of my week off will be like!

thanks for reading,

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0610.jpg
    IMAG0610.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG0613.jpg
    IMAG0613.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG0614.jpg
    IMAG0614.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 237
Great post Pete...congrats on the 10k gold and the 1884 Large Cent.
Good luck will come your way after the recovery/return of the ring.
Well done....Gold Nuggets :wave:

A very good deed - you make us all look good. And what a thrill to get the large cent - unheard of here in Az. The remainder of the week awaits you !!! Steve in so az

thank you all! :yes:
and to think it was just pure co-incidence that my co-worker was in the right place at the right time to hear that the girl had lost her ring. her b/f had even told me that they had been calling around to try to find someone around here with a detector. well, they know someone now! i made sure i gave them a card with my info on it. ;)

A very good deed - you make us all look good. And what a thrill to get the large cent - unheard of here in Az. The remainder of the week awaits you !!! Steve in so az

no large cents down that way? yikes, that's not good. :no: i've dug about 15 in the past year and a half along with a dozen other various large copper coins/tokens from the 1800's. we've had the large cent until 1920 when they switched over to the small cent in Canada so that might be part of why i would find more than you guys do in the US. :?: but i think the Canadian mintage numbers per year are lower, so i guess that helps keep the odds of finding them here more fair, lol.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom