Reward or Not?

At a school yard. a boy asked me if I was looking for the lost ring. I didn't know anything about it. He said a couple was playing basketball and lost a diamond wedding ring. He said about a dozen with detectors had looked for it. I figured if they didn't find it, it wasn't there. I guess they must not have had their detectors turned on because I was finding a lot of coins, so I decided to look where he said they had lost it. I found it after finding two coins. he said the woman who lost it lived in the second house from the school. I told him to go and give it back to her. I saw her come to the door and take it from him. he pointed at me and she looked in my direction, and shut the door. I would have at least liked a Thank You. I wasn't asking for a reward.

At a school yard. a boy asked me if I was looking for the lost ring. I didn't know anything about it. He said a couple was playing basketball and lost a diamond wedding ring. He said about a dozen with detectors had looked for it. I figured if they didn't find it, it wasn't there. I guess they must not have had their detectors turned on because I was finding a lot of coins, so I decided to look where he said they had lost it. I found it after finding two coins. he said the woman who lost it lived in the second house from the school. I told him to go and give it back to her. I saw her come to the door and take it from him. he pointed at me and she looked in my direction, and shut the door. I would have at least liked a thank You. I wasn't asking for a reward.

Some people are so weird. Who in their right mind wouldn't come out and at least offer a handshake and a great big THANK YOU?

At a school yard. a boy asked me if I was looking for the lost ring. I didn't know anything about it. He said a couple was playing basketball and lost a diamond wedding ring. He said about a dozen with detectors had looked for it. I figured if they didn't find it, it wasn't there. I guess they must not have had their detectors turned on because I was finding a lot of coins, so I decided to look where he said they had lost it. I found it after finding two coins. he said the woman who lost it lived in the second house from the school. I told him to go and give it back to her. I saw her come to the door and take it from him. he pointed at me and she looked in my direction, and shut the door. I would have at least liked a thank You. I wasn't asking for a reward.

I would be Thinking at that Point and time..... What was even the sense of returning the Ring back to the Owner? Showed not even the least bit of Gratitude.

I think thats great if you can help someone who's lost a sentimental item. Like some of you have said...take the reward if they insist cause I think the person who lost the item would feel better knowing that you placed the love/memory of that piece that was thought to never be seen again into their hands.... Beside you have to constantly buy batteries.:lol:

I believe that giving back to the hobby is the best way to promote it. The reward for me would be making someone's day. She must have been thrilled that you recovered something that meant so much to her!!! WTG

Way to go Carol!!:cool:

If I were offered a reward, I would of course respectfully decline.

Personally, i would have kept the ring if i found it even if i knew someone was looking for it, now after reading that i cant even believe how this went down.. There are some unthinkably rude B*t*ches out there....

The right thing to do is to return property to the rightful owner.
On the reward, most of the time I would say no but if you respond to a "help" ad and had to travel then some gas money would be appropiate.
Just like when I help out a stranded motorist, I ask them to help out another person in return.

A smile you never forget.

Way to go Carol,in my teens i found Vickie Coles high school ring,Vickie was in our camping group, and a close friend of my sisters who she went to high school with,at the time i was swinging that first detector which i still have a Whites coinmaster 4,i was swinging in her yard for her gold high school ring,within 10 minutes i found it,i cut out a round plug fliped it over,it was stuck visable to the bottom of the 3 inch deep plug,she picked it off the plug of dirt like taking it out of a jewlers box,the look, and happyness to this day i will never forget.6 years later she got her ring back,her husband Mike was so greatfull,and interested in the machine that found his wifes ring,he bought one a week later,Mike was a super nice guy,i will never forget him,this year Mike died of cancer,left his wife and 2 kids behind,God be with him,Great job Carol,mark my word you will remember the smile on her face,the rest of your life,as i remember Vickies so well, Earl

Personally, i would have kept the ring if i found it even if i knew someone was looking for it, now after reading that i cant even believe how this went down.. There are some unthinkably rude B*t*ches out there....

Yup, and it only takes one rude person to ruin your day (if you let them).

Dusty

Case by Case analysis

I do a lot of charity work on the side. I'm in the A/C business and my 86 year old(WWII Veteran) neighebor finds a lot of widow women from his church that need a/c or heating work. He is a retired backhoe operator that will redo their sewer lines for free. I charge nothing for my labor but the church pays for the parts, Point is that sometimes these old widow women will insist that you take $20.00 and I have found that it is a matter of independent PRIDE!!! I refuse it twice and then when I see it is a real issue with them I take it to help their self esteem. I have two rates of pay for my side work $50.00 per Hr. or Nothing per hour. I am new to metal detecting and if someone wants to offer me something to find someting of value I will decide to take their money or not Just that simple.
HH
Kenny

I always think of how I would want the ring returned if it was mine or a loved ones. I never ask for anything in return. The persons happiness is enough, but a Thank You would be nice. I not long ago found a silver class ring from a school over a thousand miles away. It has nothing engraved in it and no initials, just the year. I'm not going to write the school and ask did anyone that year lose a class ring. I want a little proof of ownership.

I told him to go and give it back to her. I saw her come to the door and take it from him. he pointed at me and she looked in my direction, and shut the door. I would have at least liked a Thank You. I wasn't asking for a reward.

Easy to be wise after the event I know, but I would have taken it back myself, and asked the lady for a discription before handing it over.

Back
Top Bottom