Reward or Not?

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Just wondering how members feel about "rewards" for finding lost items.

Personally, I am happy to go and search for a person's lost item, in fact I would be thrilled for the opportunity!

I prefer as a reward... a picture of them with their newly found lost item, and permission to post it here on this forum. :D

here's a picture of a lady who asked us to find her lost wedding ring. She wanted to give us a reward, but we refused, so she invited us to stay for dinner instead.

She was so happy we found her ring she wouldn't stop screaming! :lol:

foundring.jpg

See how tall the grass is in the yard? She refused to cut her grass until the ring was found!

Myself dont feel the need for award but if I had to travel a distance and they offer me gas money :D

Good point booker. We did go find a ring in Cape Cod once, and the couple filled up our tank and took us out to dinner! :D

I wouldn't take a reward, at least under normal circumstances, but if it ended up being a long search (more than and hour or two), and if the person had money, I wouldn't turn it down.

Super Job & Picture

What a super story. Congrat's on making someone very, very happy. That doesn't happen often. As far as rewards, I wouldn't take one but I wouldn't need to. That doesn't mean that it isn't appropriate in other cases. Personally, the sincere smile and appreciation for a "job very well done" is far more important and meaningful. But that is just me and as Ron White might say "I just sell shrimp out of the back of a van"..... big grin. Bottom line, I guess it is personal preference. Thanks for the neat story.

Kevin J. Doyle &
Gunner Girl The Wonder Lab ;)

I wouldnt take anything but depending on how old the house was I wouldnt mind them letting me poke around for a while. :cool:

Congrats, there is nothing better then seeing those smiles. Last year a girl came up to me and wanted to know if she could hire me. Her husband was in waist deep water and was standing where he lost his platinum wedding band, after a 1/2 hour I found it a long ways from where he was standing LOL.

They wanted to pay me it was around Christmas and I just said Merry Christmas. I watched as she ran to shore to tell the people she was with. I heard someone holler and it was the life guard giving me a thumbs up and then I noticed the large crowd that gathered I guess as she told the story to look up again to a huge crowd clapping. Actually a little embarrassing but the couple left for New York very happy...

Nice story.

If I made a special trip to look for a valuable item I'd hope for some sort of reward, but I'd let the owner offer. I'm not asking for big bucks, just something to say the time and effort I put in for a stranger was appreciated. If I was out detecting and someone came up to me for help searching in that same area I wouldn't expect anything more than a thank you.

WOW great pic!!. I put it this way.. Just too see there face when you hand them that lost item!! Thats all I would need as a payment... But I will be honest..if that person would offer me a reward. I wouldnt down that offer.. I used to say no thank you to everything and to be honest a little too nice;) But if someone offers you something then take it.. But to each their own;) anyways great pic and post!

but carol you 4got to tell us what was for DINNER;))))

Shortly after I bought my M6, I read in the classifieds "Husband in trouble, Lost wedding ring".........I called them, and found he lost it in a ball field. I went and found it in about 2 hours. Called them back to tell them I found it. They drove to the park to pick it up. Asked what I wanted for finding it. I told them nothing. I just wanted to see if I could find it. They strongly insisted that I take $40. Though I refused at first, I did end up taking the $40. I did drive a ways to the town where it was, so I figured what the heck.......We were all happy.

Shortly after I bought my M6, I read in the classifieds "Husband in trouble, Lost wedding ring".........I called them, and found he lost it in a ball field. I went and found it in about 2 hours. Called them back to tell them I found it. They drove to the park to pick it up. Asked what I wanted for finding it. I told them nothing. I just wanted to see if I could find it. They strongly insisted that I take $40. Though I refused at first, I did end up taking the $40. I did drive a ways to the town where it was, so I figured what the heck.......We were all happy.
I'm totally with you on that. Refusing a gift is actually considered impolite, but in situations like yours, it's common to refuse at least once, but if they insist, I say the right thing to do is take it--the reward is in gift giving, not receiving, as they say, and it will make the person feel better to feel they've rewarded you for your favor to them. Now if it was someone who obviously had little money to spare, I would insist that my reward was in finding it, and to make a donation to a charity instead of to me.

I never accept a reward. I just tell them "it's my job" and I am always happy top help restore that ever fading loss of brotherly love and compassion.

The times being the way they are people always see the bad things in life, and if a stranger helps find something they lost it shows them that there are still some good people left that want to help.. And if they are local I will give an invitation to come to my church.

:D

Well it all depends on where I travel to and how long it took to find it, If they offer a reward and depending on how much sure I will take it, But if it's near by and only took 30-60 mins to find then no biggie. Glad to help people out.

I wouldnt require a reward but why not accept one ? Its not dishonorable or greedy. If you put in the time and effort and succeed in finding something for a person then you deserve something for your time if they offer it. Of course it depends on the circumstance , for example.... finding a ring for a little old lady I would not take the reward but finding someones superbowl ring on the beach in behind their condo I would expect to have a reward coming. The fun of hunting for it can be fun but its not unethical to expect something for your time under certain circumstances.

Like most of you, detecting for me is a hobby.
I don't go out looking for reward.
If I had to drive any distance and managed to find a lost item, I wouldn't ask for anything in return, but might be tempted with a nice bottle of wine, or fuel money. A happy face and a big "thank you" would generally be enough.

Then again, permission for extra detecting land would go down well.

Back
Top Bottom