• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

about wet my pants. Confederate coin!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
While cleaning up my coins for rolling and taking to Coinstar, I came across a1 cent coin 1861 Confederate States of America. I screamed with joy! SO COOL!

Looked it up. worth $120,000!! Plus, I dinged it, apparently. I'm thinking its now only worth $90,000.

If it weren't counterfeit. Which, of course... it is.

LOL

Skippy

EDIT: Some folks have asked how I know it's counterfeit. Scroll down to the next picture and you'll see the three reasons. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Are you sure it's fake?

Cliff

How do you know it’s a fake?

Three reasons, really.

#1) Spaghetti hair! :)
confederate_cent_real_fake.jpg

#2) And it just feels too light. If it were real, it'd feel more like a large copper cent, I would think.

#3) Sadly, the dead give away is the word COPY written on the obverse (Scratch that... "reverse" is the correct side to look at. Thanks Moparguy!)... :laughing::laughing: In the picture it shows up as COP with the y missing. :) [Scroll back up, and you'll see it, now that you're looking for it!]

I've literally tossed it into my junk drawer. It's a funny story, now. That is all!

Skippy

Last edited:
Three reasons, really.

#1) Spaghetti hair! :)

confederate_cent_real_fake.jpg

#2) And it just feels too light. If it were real, it'd feel more like a large copper cent, I would think.

#3) Sadly, the dead give away is the word COPY written on the obverse... :laughing::laughing: In the picture it shows up as COP with the y missing. :) [Scroll back up, and you'll see it, now that you're looking for it!]

I've literally tossed it into my junk drawer. It's a funny story, now. That is all!

Skippy

[emoji23] [emoji23], ok that third one convinced me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original.

"COP" is a known counterstamp from Charles Ogden Price, a tobacco merchant in Charleston, SC 1852-1863.

The percieved lightness is due to the fact that the south lacked raw materials right from the very start and was forced to use a 40% copper alloy.

(Just kidding, but a neat find either way:D:cool3:)

Interesting find. Thanks for posting that. Been a while since I've seen you post a gold ring. Too hot to get out??

Back
Top Bottom