ethical requirement when you find a ring?

i would be more inclined to return a wedding band than a class ring. i'm sure no 70 year old is sittin' in their chair upset over losing their class ring 50 years ago. they have forgotten about it already. hell, i didn't even order one 'cause their stupid IMO.

Class of 1037??? That is some OLD dude!!

Sorry, my warped sense of humor kicked in....

William Duke of Normandy lost his class ring in the summer of 1037, while swimming in the English Channel. Some 25 years later he had heard that King Harrold II of England had found it and never attempted to return it.

Duke William II formed an invading army and crossed the channel in 1066 and took his ring back at the Battle of Hastings.
King Harrold died, all because he didn't return a ring...

True story!

I would like to say the same, as to if it is a ring with a name on it, a set of keys with a name on it, anything that can be traced back to the rightful owners, I would try and do so.

Money, a ring or anything that is untraceable, that is mine.

It is only right!

But its easy for you to track down the family that owns the ring, all you do is look at the head stone. :lol:

Honest, I did not think this would happen. Remember I am green!

Your next three threads should be about:

Hunting in cemeteries
Long Range Detectors and how awesome they are
How the 705 is the best detector ever

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Two more if you're interested:

How pro pointers are useless
Elitist in this hobby

If you cover those topics, you'll have it made.

Why would a halo or doing good be something to be made fun of?

It's not the doing good I was making fun of, it's the responses by some members who down other members because they have a different opinion. They act as if their opinion is the law and if your opinion varies, you are wrong.

What someone decides to do with an item they found is up to them. Either way, it's okay with me.

Unfriendly posts were deleted :D

As to morals? :laughing: I could care less about what anyone thinks of mine to be honest... I have fun detecting and whether I choose to return an item or not is no ones business but my own... those who believe in karma go for it... those who don't welcome to the darkside... we have cookies :lol:

if you have coffee also..i'm IN!:lol:

This has been:pizza::popcorn2: entertaining---My 2 cents is that,if-you wanna try return it --do it--but--keep in mind--not all rings are good memories for ppl----and some will not care--about the hours, work, luck and valor-to find and return a gold platinum or otherwise ring---
I told this before---but heres the details---Of my 1 return-&-1 woulda returned::::::

after digging allday--6-7hrs--decided hit an old high school on the way home---after an about an hour---i decided to detect right next to the walls of the school--40 ft away from the main door in the grass towrds the play area---got a perfect pulltab/foil signal on my BH QS--pooped my plug out about 3" down hanging off my plug(roots grew between diamond setting) ----A 14k 1 diamond wedding ring -- got home cleaned it & looked really antique--(wife loved it btw)and had 3 initials barely left to read--after a cpl days i thought ---i might as well go to the H.S.--see if a teacher lost it---I went to the school--asked if someone lost a ring--said "no" but, said they wld ask around and call me---a few days went by--i figured --well "finders keepers" then had a voicemail--saying..I am a teacher--here--my mother whom retired 10yrs earlier from teaching--here--said "I remember her losing it during play time--17yrs earllier--she and her father looked for days---even some students helped her---Then i called back--after a long talk about ring--she told me her mothers name--and it matched the initials-- that monday--i meet her and her mother(husband had passed--10yrs ago hence retirement)at the school--I had the ring in an old ring box and gave her the ring---she opened it and began crying---she was so thankfull--so everybody was lump throated--and teary eyed---felt great---And i was given a 100$bill---and daughter wanted to give me more--I declined--and left feeling pretty good about myself!!!!

with that said---I sent a guy email about a ring he lost --posted on craigslist---i offered my services--gave him the thrill of the hunt speech--& said 40 bucks for 2-3 hrs hunting---he replied "no i wont "TeLL"you what it looks like--& I cld go get myself a detector and do that,get a life"---wow-OOOOH i said---FFWD 3weeks---i just happen to be close the park--where it was lost--kid wanted to play for a bit--too--so parked--went over to the volleyball court---so my son cld play in the sand---fired up my BH--did one sideline pass--cpl bottle caps---then-beeeep---pushed away some sand---and saw white gold band--"no way"ended up a-15.2gram 14k---no initials--shaking grabbed my son--went tested it ---all real and worth $400+--emailed guy asking if he found it---no response--days later sold ring & bought my atpro with that $-----
So "Karma" works both ways---Do what feels good---"right or wrong depends on your point of perception".
GL
HH

Post 358---is my longest post yet:surrender::surrender:

Your next three threads should be about:

Hunting in cemeteries
Long Range Detectors and how awesome they are
How the 705 is the best detector ever

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Two more if you're interested:

How pro pointers are useless
Elitist in this hobby

If you cover those topics, you'll have it made.

One time I was using the newest top of the line long range 705 that none of you can have yet in a cemetery and i found 3 propointers that were tossed aside because there so useless.
My keyboard just caught fire.... :(

One time I was using the newest top of the line long range 705 that none of you can have yet in a cemetery and i found 3 propointers that were tossed aside because there so useless.
My keyboard just caught fire.... :(

Ah Kingdoc, glad to see you on here! I haven't seen you in awhile.

Good story, I believe it really happened :yes:

Back
Top Bottom