ethical requirement when you find a ring?

All I know is that I am a better person than all of you and that is all that matters. :lol:

Yeah instead of someone talking about the homeless beach people of Florida like they know something about it. Which by the way ,they are so populated at beaches because the cops run them out of downtowns because it looks bad. Maybe they ought to chip into a homeless shelter with some pension money and post about it instead of bragging about how good they have it. Homeless don't become homeless by having bad morals. It's the economy being in the toilet!

I take that back. I just got off the phone with my wife and all she did is yell at me. I guess I am no better than anyone else. :lol:

Wifes are always a "reality check*.. Hence I now only have a cat. She is happy just to have food, a place to p**p and a window to watch the birds.

in my experience there are two kinds of metal detector people - those that do it for the thrill of the chase, the chance to find long lost treasure, and then there are those that are in it just for the money

the money guys always say "finders keepers" no matter if there is a name, address, phone number etc etc on a find

the other guys have better moral values and will try to return a find if there is any way possible to

It's a tough call for some. I agree with you and feel that those who use an excuse like ranting about how much they have been put out by trying do do the right thing are blowing smoke to ease their guilty feelings and make keeping it seem the right thing to do. I have been trying to find the owner of a class ring (very expensive with diamonds) for almost a year now. I have the school, persons initials and the school principal email and phone. all i get is they are trying to find the owner and they act like they think i'm a stalker. It is a girls ring with a grad date of 2014. Come on, how hard can it be to locate her. Frustrated, yes but still trying instead of selling it. That is my choice and reflects my upbringing. Boils down to let your conscience be your guide. I also agree with no identification on the ring and no knowledge of it's owner, it's yours.:cool:

It's a tough call for some. I agree with you and feel that those who use an excuse like ranting about how much they have been put out by trying do do the right thing are blowing smoke to ease their guilty feelings and make keeping it seem the right thing to do. I have been trying to find the owner of a class ring (very expensive with diamonds) for almost a year now. I have the school, persons initials and the school principal email and phone. all i get is they are trying to find the owner and they act like they think i'm a stalker. It is a girls ring with a grad date of 2014. Come on, how hard can it be to locate her. Frustrated, yes but still trying instead of selling it. That is my choice and reflects my upbringing. Boils down to let your conscience be your guide. I also agree with no identification on the ring and no knowledge of it's owner, it's yours.:cool:

Well said!

You know maybe I don't understand other people's opinion because I don't need the money. Not that im rich but 200-500 dollars really don't matter to me. I make a good living with my pension and can do as I please.Maybe my opinion is different because I was a cop? Maybe if I lived in a tent on the beach in florida and needed food or something my opinion would change. I have always got what I wanted in life because I always did the right thing.

^^^THIS!!!

an extra $300 in my pocket will not impact my life at all - I work very hard & have more than enough $$$ for my family & I...so I have no reason to sell anything that I find that could (will) be returned

I think it all comes down to would you want something that you lost returned to you? A lot of people wouldn't know how to go about having someone search for something that they lost. After reading some of these comments, I don't know as I would want some of them knowing where I lost something because it wouldn't be returned anyway. Ii try to return anythin if it has a name or I know who lost it. I had a boy tell me about a woman who had lost a diamond ring playing basketball in a schoolyard. he said several with detectors had looked for it but I found it. he knew where the woman lived (A few houses down) so I gave it to him and told him to return it. When she opened the door, he handed it to her and pointed to me. She looked in my direction and slammed the door. I have found two class rings, both with no name. One was from a school over a thousand miles away and the other was a gold 1937 class ring in bad shape. No way of returning either one. I have found keys with those store tags on them and returned them to the store . I also found a gold ring in a Wal mart parking lot. I turned it in to the curtesy booth. I seriously doubt that any attemp was made to find the owners. Still knowing that I could return something to whoever lost it would mean more to me than whatever it was worth. Even things found in school yards could be turned into the school if it was valuabe. There is a very good chance that it was reported lost. This goes a long way in helping our hobby. The gold rings that I returned and turned in were found when I was living in my truck. I could have used the money but they weren't mine.

I check the lost and found on craigslist and local paper for one week. Then it is mine.

I guarantee there are people that do this before finding an item just to know there is one out there to look for...and keep for themselves.

So its up to you, do not return or return.

smiley7.gif

Had the same deal, girls class ring still in school so obviously a minor so I made no attempt to contact her. I contacted the school and talked to the secretary twice. Emailed the principal too. Nothing.

After running a craigslist ad and talking to the school one last time I finally just mailed it to the school and I'm done with it. I never heard anything from it, not from the school or the parents or the girl.

Back
Top Bottom