Beach scam

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
I read this a while back on a beach forum.

Guy is detecting, finds a ring with inscription on it. Another guy stops by and the finder tells him about the ring. The second guy leaves, tells his accomplice about it. The accomplice later goes up to the detectorist and asks if he has found "his" ring. As he can describe it exactly the detectorist is caught in giving it up.

Moral of the story = tell everyone you are digging pennies only, that's what I do, steve in so az

Yeah I think someone posted something like this a week or two ago. Instead of an accomplish, the mentioned party gets the police to come back with them and demand the ring "returned". Some people...

I thought about something like this when beefcake found his ring. I'm glad he wasn't setup, and the man that looked at it was honest and said it wasn't his.

Don't ever show people what you find. All I ever find is junk, nails, glass, cans, pulltabs, etc. Wanna see? ;)

Write a note and date it- print it out or have it laminated so anyone reading it will know you didn't just write it. The note should say something to this effect ...

"It is my standard practice to tell everyone who asks that I just found a platinum diamond ring with the inscription BF and the date 04/01/02. This is so I know who the dishonest people are when they try to claim it."

Keep the note on you. Tell anyone who asks that you found a ring and describe the ring in your note. If anyone tries to claim the ring later, tell them that you will only release it to a police officer. Hopefully, they'll come back with a cop and you can hand the officer the note. Then stand back and enjoy the show. :lol:

All I find is junk and clad and never show my jewelry to anyone while I'm on the beach... when people ask me what I find I tell them coins and junk..

dglfi,I like that idea.Crazy world we live in.I'll just stick with the 'nothing but junk'
line and move on!

" what did you find ?"
reply: "coins...."
"What Did you FInd ?"
re-reply: "coins..."
'WHAT did did you find ?"
re-re-reply: "coins.."
"WHAT DID you find ?"
re-re-re-reply: "coins"
"what did you find?!?!"
re-re-re-reply: "coins"
"What did you FIND ?"
"ok I give up.... old coins"

Always keep some old unclean coins with you that what I do :)

I hit the beach at Santa Cruz about twice a month. The place is littered with bums. On two different occasions, I've had similar "ring" and "What have you found?" approaches.

Fortunately, I'm blessed with the ability and looks to turn on a "F...Y..." attitude when needed. Bums get the idea rather quickly.

When the old "Whatcha doin?" question comes from a bum, the agressive reply: "Minding my own business." works well.

That's not to say that I don't really enjoy the 5 year old who asks the same question...I do. Yesterday, a tot (with parents close by) ask me if I'd look for his daddy's glasses. When I asked where he lost them, he told me "somewhere at work". PRICELESS!!!! Dad was laughing too.

Los Gatos

I would Love to hunt in Los Gatos. My grandparents have a house off of Kennedy and I cant wait to hunt it.

When you head out this way, PM me and we'll swing somewhere together. The county parks require a permit, but there are plenty of good sites around here.

Did this actually happen, or is it another urban myth ?

I think it was last summer, might have been 2 summers ago, there was a post in the beach hunting section that went something like this: A beach hunter found a ring and instantly stashed it. Some jerk saw him find it and ran up to him and said it was his wifes' ring and demanded that it be turned over to him - couldn't describe the ring, but it was his wifes' ring. The jerk went and got either a life guard or a cop and returned. So he hunter reaches into a secret trash ring stash, pulls out a junk ring (which looked nothing like the ring he found), and asks if this is the ring. The jerk says yes, and the hunter tosses it back into the surf - which got the jerk and a bunch of other folks away from him. I think that was on this forum but it could have been on a different one.

So yes, creeps will try to claim your loot.

When you head out this way, PM me and we'll swing somewhere together. The county parks require a permit, but there are plenty of good sites around here.

I will do that. The house is on Kennedy Road- Nice area. Not sure when I;'ll be out that way.

Steven

I think the well placed

Im on a murder investagation and ask the person can you help me dig up the corpse when I find it might send a couple people fleeing or maybe worse. They wont leave and then your stuck with them the whole time your there.

lol- I stopped in front of this guy on Hampton beach the other week and the guy says O a targget. I dug up the penny. I was swinging back around the area and another target=This guy i believe was joking says i lost a ring in that area? I said describe it? It's gold and looks like this one on my finger=I said give me more details? He said it's has a gold band like this=pointing to the ring on his finger. I said that isn't close enough for a description.

Little did he know i already knew what it was according to the VDI reading=Dime. I said i guess you can have it/Its a dime. I dug up the dime and said to his young son Here is your prize for the day. And the kid bent over and picked up the dime i dumped out of the scoop.

I made the laminated card suggested by DGLFI... will add it to the 'toolbox'.. a lot of jerks and bums out there... RickO

Hope you are an intimidating looking guy! Wouldn't want a bunch of beach bums to beat you up over a ring that does not exist!:shock:

HH

Sure cure

:lol:I was told clothes like these would keep away nosey folks. PI WEAR-CLOTHING AND GIFTS FOR THE P.I.

Back
Top Bottom