Norwich (UK) jeweller discovers gold and diamond Tudor ring

Color me suspicious; but how easy would it be for a jeweler to counterfeit a Tudor ring and "find" it? That's a serious question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about determining the age of gold jewelery.

Not very hard if they use 400 year old casting techniques and understand how to create wear patterns. However, the gold isn't the problem, the diamonds are the problem. Gems lacking the process flaws of old tooling will be immediately identifiable. If a gemcutter is in on a scam and has examples to work from and a knowledge of old tooling it would be a very dangerous situation for appraising old jewelry.

Color me suspicious; but how easy would it be for a jeweler to counterfeit a Tudor ring and "find" it? That's a serious question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about determining the age of gold jewelery.

I don't think the people who identify these items would be taken in by a
modern copy.

fake

I don't think the people who identify these items would be taken in by a
modern copy.

Ever watch American Greed on the history channel? Plenty of guys have faked modern art masterpieces and fooled the best of the best, conning millions. It's all just a matter of how much work you want to put into it. There are fakes of everything out there. In the end, if none of the pros can tell it's a fake.....then essentially it becomes real and still valueable lol.

I think the best way to tell would to be use a mass spectrometer or whatever those things are that tell you the exact chemical makeup of something. Even using old castings and tools, it would be pretty hard to keep a sample totally clean of modern chemicals or contaminants. I think that's the only true way to know.

Back
Top Bottom