Shut out on permission

And let me anticipate the answer: Sure, we *all* take shortcut paths (and don't even think twice about it). HOWEVER: Md'ing , on the other hand, is different, right ? It would be akin to "setting up camp" or "practicing hand grenades" or "waltzing around in the nude", etc... ?

If we accept the premise that md'ing = "intrinsically evil" (like hand grenades, public nudity, etc...), then yes: There's a difference. Then , if so (If I have anticipated the objection correctly), then we have mental perception differences of the evil-level of md'ing.

I happen to consider md'ing to be innocuous, harmless, healthy, nutritious, etc.... If we start with the assumption that md'ing is evil, then ...... sure .... my "shortcut" analogy/pix don't hold up.

Not sure why this preconception that md'ing is dis-liked by all, inherently evil, harmful, damaging, etc... Why is that ? In fact, it's been my experience that md'ing is perceived opposite of that. Total strangers come up and ask "what's the best thing you've ever found?" and "How deep does it go?". Far from being reviled and hated.

When it comes to the subject of trespassing, ...Trespassing in CA is not the same as trespassing in MS..so you guys are talking apples and oranges.....

In CA, to be a legal 'tpasser, all you gotta do is show up! Its like a game of 'capture the flag'! Take a big gnarley dump right on the sidewalk if you wish! No problem! Welcome Stranger!!

Not so much in MS!....Super territorial! Good Lord, In MS, if you dont know the generational names going back 50yrs, you cant even get a parking spot at the Piggley Wiggley!! Let alone get permission to hunt a yard, or an upfront table at the Waffle House!!:laughing::laughing:

I enjoy the trespassers of old, Eric the Great, Genghis Khan, Pizzaro, Columbus, Sam Walton....Imagine the conversations: 'Hey, this is My Land!" Yeah? Ya think? Back when the sword was mightier than the pen...

.......Trespassing in CA is not the same as trespassing in MS..so you guys are talking apples and oranges......

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that people in MS take that same shortcut paths, shown in my pictures, as they do in CA, eh ?

.... Take a big gnarley dump right on the sidewalk if you wish! No problem! Welcome Stranger!! ...

Yes. And there it was, as I properly prophetically anticipated: Any suggestion as to the innocuousness of vacant lots, would be compared to something atrocious being done . Eg.: camping out, taking a dump, tossing hand grenades, etc.... Eh ? Oh, sure, md'ing is of that level of evil, right ? Since when ? :?:

:my2cents:

By definition, it is trespassing to be on private property without permission.

It makes no sense to suggest committing an illegal act on a public metal detecting forum where those who are unfriendly to the hobby have been known to lurk.

There's a property near my home that appears to have had an original homesite on it in the early to mid 1800s. I tried to get permission from a property management company that owned the vacant lot. They couldn't give permission because it was under contract to be sold. Once it changed owners, I sent an email to the new owners (a home builder). I got nothing back. They are now clearing trees from the lot this week to start building a model home. I called and left a message. No call back. I'm getting shut out.

I just want to save the history before they bury it. . . is that so bad? It's going to hurt watching them develop that lot.

There was a huge historical lot with a big mansion on it and a bunch of older houses. They preserved the mansion but bulldozed all the old houses and the trees. I asked to MD and they said no. So I never did because it was right beside a busy road....er, I mean because they said no.

My general rule to thumb is check with tax assessors website site on questionable propery. Privately owned, get permission from owner, public, city, school, or forclosed and owned by Fannie or Freddie. Just hit it unless no tresspassing signs are posted. Just my opnion, your milage may vary.

I guess my concern with it is what would happen if a neighbor or someone driving by sends the police. The police call the owner. . . the owner has my name because I've emailed and called. What if he gets angry and decides to be a jerk about it?

I'm thinking through worst case here. . . man I sure wish he would just respond to me.

The home builder cares about liability and construction delays. He could be thinking about unlikely "worst case" scenarios too. You find a bunch of civil war stuff or native artifacts and word gets out and his construction is delayed. Or, you break your ankle in a hole they left and you sue. Whether that's true or not, he could be thinking it. Many other developers obviously don't mind and understand those things are extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that people in MS take that same shortcut paths, shown in my pictures, as they do in CA, eh ?

Trespassing is generally defined as being on someone's property with no lawful purpose.

Walking across somebody's property is not trespassing unless it's posted, and even then that doesn't matter in some places unless the person has been warned at least verbally.

Kids aren't breaking any laws when they retrieve a ball from somebody's yard, or a door-to-door salesperson or politician knocks on your door. Those are lawful purposes.

Entering someone's property to dig and remove items of value without permission is not a lawful purpose, regardless of whether the home is abandoned, the farmer is nowhere to be seen, or the lot is vacant and overgrown.

Trespassing is generally defined as being on someone's property with no lawful purpose.

Walking across somebody's property is not trespassing unless it's posted, and even then that doesn't matter in some places unless the person has been warned at least verbally.

Kids aren't breaking any laws when they retrieve a ball from somebody's yard, or a door-to-door salesperson or politician knocks on your door. Those are lawful purposes.

Entering someone's property to dig and remove items of value without permission is not a lawful purpose, regardless of whether the home is abandoned, the farmer is nowhere to be seen, or the lot is vacant and overgrown.

excellent discussion ! Ok, sure: "retrieving a ball" or "taking a shortcut path" is different than metal detecting. The property owner would no doubt turn a blind eye to the person "stepping off the sidewalk" or "retrieving a ball", yet ... would shudder in horror" at the site of someone md'ing. Right ?

excellent discussion ! Ok, sure: "retrieving a ball" or "taking a shortcut path" is different than metal detecting. The property owner would no doubt turn a blind eye to the person "stepping off the sidewalk" or "retrieving a ball", yet ... would shudder in horror" at the site of someone md'ing. Right ?

Don't know. Maybe they would, or maybe they wouldn't. That's the point of asking.

I'm not responsible for the population of MS, I'm only responsible for my own actions.

You shouldn't assume others would do the same as you.

As mentioned, it's funny how trespassing gets a pass here, though you can leave yourself an "out" by simply adding a "wink wink", because then it was just a joke, right?

But take a shovel to a park, don't fill your holes, or get too close to a Cemetery, an OMG.....release the hounds.

Sets a great example for newbies, especially the young, who see this as "normal".

I guess for some it is.

Value's are a funny thing.

Think I'll go sip some sweet tea through my plastic straw.

Here is a solution, round up a couple of arrowheads and broken pottery bits and call the developer/owner to inform him or her that you found evidence of a ancient Indian burial site on their property and you will be contacting the state next week and would like permission to hunt and if you get receive said permission you will turn the Indian artifacts over to the developer for him or her to decide on what to do with the artifacts. Blackmail? Yep!

Oh, and yes you will get a speedy call back. Don't use email, too much of a trail. Phone calls are better for blackmail.

Back
Top Bottom