Best machine under 750$

Wesb

Ok guys not looking to start a detector war, but Christmas is just around the corner and so is tax season. It’s time to buy a new detector!!! Which detector in the 750 price range is the best bang for the buck? Mostly land use for coins, jewelry, relics, and maybe freshwater hunts. Which detector is user friendly that will give the user the most fun while detecting and find cool things without breaking the bank? What would you guys recommend?

IMO, if you are an experienced detectorist the Nox 600 is a good choice. If you are a beginner to intermediate I would go go Nokta Impact/Kruzer route. I like that fun is part of your criteria, because that part is often overlooked. Best bang for your buck and fun? Nokta Fors Core is more fun than my equinox, you can also find them on sale.

There are many units within your price range give or take $100. The AT Pro, AT Max, Whites MX Sport,either Equinox, Nokta Impact, Makro Kruzer, Nokta Anfibio, F75, T2, Deus Lite, and a few others. Hard decisions to make. Having run all the above units with the exception of the Anfibio, I would give it a toss up between the Kruzer, Equinox 800 and the Deus lite.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I figured the nox either 600 or 800 would be the go to. A lot of hype is going around right now, I’ve never used a Minelab how easy is it to operate a nox?

Wesb said:
Ok guys not looking to start a detector war, but Christmas is just around the corner and so is tax season. It’s time to buy a new detector!!!
Q.. Does it have to be a NEW detector, or would you consider a very clean, hardly used unit?

Q.. Is this an 'upgrade,' and if so, what are you using now?

Q.. Would you keep your current model as a 'back-up' or to complement what a newer model might provide?

Wesb said:
Which detector in the 750 price range is the best bang for the buck?
Q.. Are you looking to invest $750 for only a detector with standard coil, or is that amount to also include one or two accessory coils to better handle different applications?

A.. I don't think there is only one detector to recommend to fit your wants and needs. Instead, there might be a few in that price range for you to consider and, in the end, it should be YOUR choice and not just based on other's suggestions.

Wesb said:
Mostly land use for coins, jewelry, relics, and maybe freshwater hunts.
This is the main question that needs to be answered and qualified. "Land Use" for Coin & Jewelry Hunting can be handled by a broader range of detectors, from very affordable to just out of your price range. But you added hunting Relics, and that brings me to wonder how often you get to a relic type site

Q.. What percentage of your detecting time do you devote to Relic Hunting?

Q.. Are the sites you visit perhaps only 'average' trash sites, or do you get into heavy contaminations of nails and other dense ferrous and non-ferrous debris?

Q.. Does your current detector handle very contaminated irony sites well, or do you need a better tool for those applications?

Wesb said:
Which detector is user friendly that will give the user the most fun while detecting and find cool things without breaking the bank? What would you guys recommend?
The key point you mention is having 'FUN' and that's what I always set out to do. But when I head off on a detecting jaunt, I don't go with only one detector. I have always had at least two or three detectors, since late '71, and more often than not I travel with more than that. They all have their strengths. Some are 'multi-purpose' for city sites, rural locations, and even hitting a beach or going after native gold nuggets.

Here are my suggestions based on what I currently own, or models that I have owned and consider to be 'OK' for a variety of hunting, but mine are what have proven themselves to be very worthy in-the-field performers. Some are available used and some can be purchased brand new. Don't forge to factor in getting at least one smaller-size coil or even two coils to complement the detector of choice.

Fisher F44: A very affordable, light weight, handy detector that is more at home for Coin & Jewelry Hunting but can handle some modestly littered relic hunting sites. I only use a 7" Concentric and 5" DD coils with mine.

Nokta FORS CoRe: Discontinued but excellent unit if you find a clean specimen. The only two coils I use on mine are a small 'OOR' 4.7X5.2 DD and an open-frame mid-size 5X9½ DD. Can be used for anything but one of my two serious Relic Hunting units.

Nokta FORS Relic: My #1 Relic Hunting device for heavy nails/iron contaminated sites with 5" DD, or an open-frame 5X9½ DD for open areas with low to models amounts of trash. Also discontinued but very hard to outperform in nasty junk.

Teknetics Omega 8000: Another discontinued model that is still affordable when you can find one, and it is one of my favorite easy-to-use urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting models. I mainly use a 7" Concentric coil on mine as a general purpose search coils, but I keep a 5" DD mounted to a 2nd Omega 8K just for quick work around metal pipes, structures, fences, etc.

White's MX-7: Brand new, retail is $599.95 which allows you $$$ to also purchase the must-have 6½" Concentric coil, which is what I keep mounted and use 90% of the time. Ample adjustment features, yet not complex at all. Very simple to set up and it saves most of your settings in the different programs when you shut down. Also one of my all-purpose models for Relic Hunting as well as Coin & Jewlery Hunting.

Those are what make up my Regular-Use Target ID models just to give you some ideas, and they are ALL easily within your $750 budget.

Monte

Ok guys not looking to start a detector war, but Christmas is just around the corner and so is tax season. It’s time to buy a new detector!!! Which detector in the 750 price range is the best bang for the buck? Mostly land use for coins, jewelry, relics, and maybe freshwater hunts. Which detector is user friendly that will give the user the most fun while detecting and find cool things without breaking the bank? What would you guys recommend?

I also want this detector that has been described here...... j/k ;)
You will get suggestions based on subjective opinions and experiences which really means that the best detector is the one that you learn and master. They will all find metal and at the target price point of <$750, there are a lot of good choices; you might even do better looking at used detectors right now. Take your time and research. It’s your $$, spend it wisely.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I figured the nox either 600 or 800 would be the go to. A lot of hype is going around right now, I’ve never used a Minelab how easy is it to operate a nox?

I love the simplicity of my Tesoro and Excal. However, I recently got a 'Nox 800 to use as a backup to water hunt and my primary for wet sand. I have found it can be simple to use with its built-in programs but can also be a bit more challenging when you start to understand its advanced features and what its capabilities are when you want to tweak it. It's definitely deep!

I have owned ctx, at pro, etrac, and equinox 800. Recently. I would say equinox 600/800 hands down. Easy to use, light weight, deep, and versatile for all terrains and situations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

the detecting scenarios you listed included freshwater hunting along with everything except prospecting so........

Equinox 600 would be my first choice. It is a very stable, deep, full featured detector that continues to amaze me. It is by no means perfect but it can seriously hunt in all and more of the detecting choices you mentioned like salt water beaches!!!!! Unless you are gold prospecting you really don't need the 800.

Next would be the single frequency Makro Kruzer, or either of the three frequency Makro Multi Kruzer or Nokta Anfibio. I got to try out the Multi Kruzer for awhile and really liked it. It is totally waterproof, has all of the modern features, and is a really hot detector. I just liked the tones on the Nox better for my ears (very subjective) and I really liked the simultaneous multi frequency on the Nox too.

Third would be a Whites MXSport. It is a good, solid, single frequency, fully waterproof detector that has most of the modern features that are desirable today except for wireless audio.

Next, a Deus Lite would work too but it is not fully waterproof. It is a fantastic detector (with a fairly steep learning curve) especially with one of the high frequency coils or the new X35 coils.

The new Quest Pro is a really nice detector with lots of features like: waterproof, 3 different frequencies, wireless audio, internal rechargeable lithium batteries, backlight, similar to the Multi Kruzer in depth and tone but much cheaper on some dealer websites.

The AT Pro/Max is also always a possibility but honestly (I've owned a Pro in the past) the detector itself is not in the same solar system as the ones already mentioned even though the newer Z-Link products are great.

The Fisher F44 is almost waterproof and has lots of great features and is worth considering.

If you are just going to stay on dry land, there are so many great detectors for less than $750 by Fisher and Teknetics like the F75, F70, T2, Patriot, F19, G2+ and the Omega 8500 along with the Whites MX5 or MX7, the Makro Racer series and the incredible Nokta Impact.

Jeff

If you don't mind digging everything above iron, have a serious look at the Deeptech Vista Smart.
On near empty Roman and medieval fields I prefer this machine over any other I have ever used, including the XP Deus.
It is also my first choice on archaeological digs.

You could stay with the preset programs and make great finds. Once you get more and more hours on it you can start experimenting with the settings. It's really pretty easy, but make sure you download the instruction manual.

Back
Top Bottom