Tons of bottles - Picture heavy and Updated As I go

yacorie

Elite Member
Hi everyone. Recently I made some trades of some hunting equipment I was selling for a bunch of bottles that a guy I know had in storage. There are some other dribs and drabs mixed in - but for the most part thats where these came from.

I have gone through probably 1000s of bottles and tried to sort them into 3 piles: trash/recyle; older corks/things i dont' want; cooler/older stuff or things I want to figure out what to do.

My plan for this thread is to post pictures of bottles - there will be lots of lots of them. These will all be from the group of bottles that are cooler/older etc. Some will be grouped in a manner that makes sense but most will just be grouped by randomness as I pull them out.

Whatever is embossed or written on the bottles will be included in the descriptions. if you know anything about them and want to share, great. if you want better pictures of something particular - let me know.

If you know that bottles I have here are worth recycling - please let me know that too. I figure a lot of the older wine bottles might be good for the wife/in-laws to use for flowers? Who knows.

Anyway - here we go. Below is a picture of one of the rooms in the basement that shows the boxes/bean crates and containers full of bottles that I've been going through.

Attachments

• basement pic.JPG
    basement pic.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 771
All descriptions of bottles will be from left to right. Hopefully I can get the orientation of these to be ok. If not, I apologize in advance.

Picture 1: 5 unmarked wine/champagne bottles. They all have that large bubbled bottom in the glass.

Picture 2: An example of the lip on one of them

Picture 3: A group of unmarked wine bottles. Most of them are the same size but 2 are smaller.

Picture 4: A picuture of some of the lips

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 787
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 729
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 757
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 720
Picture 5: Left to right. The Hebe Co Prov RI (embossed); Hunyadi Janos Saxlehners Bitterqualle (bottom); The Duffy Malt Whiskey Company Rochester NY (embossed); T.L. Neff's Sons Brooklyn NY (Embossed); Two bottles with a connected AB on the bottom. These are either Adolphus Busch Glass or American Bottle Company.

Picture 6: Lips of the duffy, Neffs and one AB

Picture 7: Left to right. Pure Malt Dept Caking Boston MASS (bottom); 2nd one is the same as first; ABCO (bottom); ABCO (Bottom); Fidelio Brewery NY (Embossed and bottom).

Picture 8: Lips on 2 Pure malt dept bottles

Attachments

• Pic 8.jpg
    Pic 8.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 693
  • Pic 7.jpg
    Pic 7.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 727
  • Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 706
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 761
Picture 9. Left to right. Curran and Joyce CO INC Lawerence MA (embossed); unmarked bottle; American Dry Manchester NY (embossed); unmarked bottle; unmarked bottle

Picture 10. Lips of two unmarked bottles

Picture 11. 4 different Gordons Dry Gin bottles embossed from london

Picture 12. Picture of lips from two on left

Attachments

• Pic 12.jpg
    Pic 12.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Pic 11.jpg
    Pic 11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 702
  • Pic 10.jpg
    Pic 10.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 706
  • Pic 9.jpg
    Pic 9.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 742
Picture 13. Left to right. Old Mr. Boston (embossed); Old Mr Boston (embossed) different from 1st; Guar Full Pint V.B. Troy N.Y (Embossed); Fifteen Fluid Ounces (embossed); Bottle in thatch holder

Picture 14. Lips of Troy NY and Fifteen fluid ounces bottles

Picture 15. Left to right. The Purdue Frederick Co New York (embossed); Dr. Lesure's Veterinary Fever drops (embossed); Elm Crest Farm Dairy Ely Cabot & Sons Milk Jar (painted); E.R. Durkee & CO (Embossed); unmarked; unmarked.

Picture 16. Lips from Purdue Frederick and Veterinary Fever drops

Attachments

• Pic 13.jpg
    Pic 13.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 725
  • Pic 14.jpg
    Pic 14.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Pic 15.jpg
    Pic 15.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Pic 16.jpg
    Pic 16.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 693
Picture 17. Left to right. Weiss Beer McKINNEY &CO 623 SO 6th ST PHILA (embossed); CO Johnson Trenton NJ (embossed); S Walter Trenton NJ (embossed); E L Kerns CO Trenton NJ (embossed); Star Bottling Co Trenton NJ (embossed).

Picture 18. Lips of the bottles in 17

Picture 19. Peter Hauck & CO Harrison NJ (embossed); Schencks Pulmonic Syrup Philad a (embossed); The Cuticura System of Curing Constitutional Humors Potter Drug & Chemical Co Boston Mass USA (embossed); Trenton Brewing CO Trenton NJ (embossed); unmarked bottle

Picture 20. Lips of bottles including small unmarked bottle on end

Attachments

• Pic 20.jpg
    Pic 20.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 681
  • Pic 19.jpg
    Pic 19.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 687
  • Pic 18.jpg
    Pic 18.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 672
  • Pic 17.jpg
    Pic 17.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 663
Picture 21. Left to right. Philips milk of magesia cork (embossed); CO Johnson Trenton NJ - also has a Big J on other side; Milk of magnesia screw (embossed); coca-cola Atlanta GA (embossed).

Picture 22. Photo of CO Johnson bottle above showing big "J" on other side

Picture 23. Lark Co Buffalo (embossed); unmarked bottle; Rawleighs (embossed); unmarked bottle; Hires Improved Root Beer Makes five gallons ofa delicious drink Philadelphia PA USA Manufactured by the Charles E Hires Co (embossed on all sides); unmarked 2oz (embossed)

Picture 24. 2nd angle of bottles in picture 23

Attachments

• Pic 24.jpg
    Pic 24.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 667
  • Pic 23.jpg
    Pic 23.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 667
  • Pic 22.jpg
    Pic 22.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Pic 21.jpg
    Pic 21.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 674
Wow that is a lot to take in.

In general terms, most all the wines look last quarter of 1800s to me, the drippy lips are cool! Duffy's are nice but not rare, most sell for $20-25 range. Aqua crowntop beers are a few $ each unless embossed with a small brewer. Locals get more $ when sold in their area, because of local history interest. Those crowntop beers (pic 6) are early crowntop so 1895-1900 era. Malts generally not rare unless embossed from small brewers. Pic 8- 1880s-blobs. The Gordons are usually common but those look older than usually seen (drippy lips). Pic 15 the two unembossed ones on the right are Juice bottles 1930-50 era. They closed just like milk bottles. The fever drops is a nice circa late 1890-early 1900 med. Overall, a nice bunch of early glass.

Last edited:
Picture 25. left to right. H E Turner Druggist Turner Falls, Mass (embossed); Davis Vegetable painkiller (embossed); Castoria Chas H Keltchers (embossed); Van Duzer New York (embossed); Castoria Chas H Keltchers (embossed).

Picture 26. 2nd angle of bottles in picture 25

Picture 27. left to right. Sylpho-Nathol Cabot (embossed); unmarked bottle; Burnetts Standard Flavoring extracts (embossed), Sloansh & BLinment Dr. E S Sloan Boston MA (embossed); HAAS Pharmacy (embossed).

Picture 28. Lips and 2nd angle of Picture 27

Attachments

• Pic 28.jpg
    Pic 28.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 666
  • Pic 27.jpg
    Pic 27.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 676
  • Pic 26.jpg
    Pic 26.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 662
  • Pic 25.jpg
    Pic 25.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 707
Picture 29. Left to right. Lavoris (embossed) Lavoris chemical co minneapolis (bottom); Bell's Vanilla Flavor Claude A bell lowell, MAss (embossed); french gloss whittemore boston (embossed); Hires houshold extract philadelphia PA For making rootbeer at home (embossed all sides); unmarked bottle

Picture 30. 2nd angle of picture 29

Attachments

• Pic 29.jpg
    Pic 29.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 722
  • Pic 30.jpg
    Pic 30.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 704
The Castoria is "Fletcher's" and very common. The druggists are nice, especially if from small towns. The Sloan's is earlier than usually seen. I would try to find out the location of the 1890s Haas. If a small local someone in that town may want it. Most extract bottles are a dollar or two unless *really * old. Pic17 Wow! Great stuff! Weiss blob is easy 1870s. The Johnson and Walter amber blobs 1880s. Pic 19- 2nd paneled blob 1870s. Pic 21- 2nd blob is also 1870s. Those are really GOOD STUFF. The Phillips is older than I've seen, prob a few $.

You may want to search your stash for embossed Bitters, "cathedral" peppersauces, 1870s Spring (water) bottles, and picture flasks. That's some real $$$ (depending...).

Over and out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and information.

I don't think there is anything special that I haven't pulled out and put aside yet. Essentially if there was some type of embossing, it was a cool shape or it looked old to me, I tried to pull them out.

There are boxes and boxes of extract bottles. At some point, I'll just put them up locally to give away instead of recycling them just becuase they look cool to me.

When I'm finally done taking pictures of everything I pulled out - then I'll just throw up pictures of the boxes full of bottles I figured weren't worthy of being pulled out.

Maybe something will jump out to someone with a trained eye......or maybe not.

Nice bottles yacorie. I don't know about your bottles in particular. I think the drippy tops are called applied tops. The bottle was made and the the top applied to it. Also I know if you look at the bottom of them some of the older ones will have a pontil. That was made from blowing the glass then when they broke it off there is sharp shards of glass in the middle. The color of the glass helps determine it's value.

More bottles from another bean crate.

Picture 35. Left to right. Unmarked except for Registered (embossed); unmarked wine bottle; unmarked wine/champagne bottle; another malt bottle with ABCO (bottom); another crown top bottle with AB (bottom).

Picture 36. Lips of the bottles from Picture 35.

Picture 37. Mostly all bromo seltzers. One says bromo caffeine. The one on the far right is unmarked and the little glass cap is embossed with the words A heaping dessert spoonful.

Picture 38. A second angle of the bottles from Picture 37.

Attachments

• Pic 38.jpg
    Pic 38.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 500
  • Pic 37.jpg
    Pic 37.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 508
  • Pic 36.jpg
    Pic 36.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 512
  • Pic 35.jpg
    Pic 35.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 499
Picture 39. Left to right. The oakland chemical company (embossed); clorox (embossed); a screw top blue bottle; a screw top green bottle; screw top Horlicks Malted Milk Racine WIS London, Eng (embossed)

Picture 40. Lip of the oakland chemical bottle

Picture 41. Left to right. Dr Miles Restorative nervine (embossed); Philips Milk of Magnesia (embossed); unmarked bottle; California Fig Syrup Co Calific (embossed); Prices Pure Preperations (embossed).

Picture 42. Lips of bottles from Picture 41.

Attachments

• Pic 42.jpg
    Pic 42.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Pic 41.jpg
    Pic 41.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 496
  • Pic 40.jpg
    Pic 40.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Pic 39.jpg
    Pic 39.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 553
Picture 43. Left to right. Milk bottle Highland Dairy company (painted); Milk bottle NL&Mohegan New London CT (painted); Ed Pinaud PARIS (embossed); unmarked bottle; The Terrant Co. Chemists New York (embossed)

Picture 44. 2nd angle of bottles from picture 43

Picture 45. Left to right. Unmarked bottle; Utley & Jones Pharmacists 149 Main st New london, Conn (embossed); United States medicine Co New York (embossed); Van Duzer New York (embossed); Metho-Laxene B.P. Co (embossed).

Picture 46. 2nd angle of bottles from pictures 45

Attachments

• Pic 43.jpg
    Pic 43.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Pic 44.jpg
    Pic 44.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Pic 45.jpg
    Pic 45.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 510
  • Pic 46.jpg