Nubie mistake

Kale1278

So I cleaned my silver coins with pennies, and did it all in vinegar. Now everything is orangish.... any way to fist this? If not no big deal it’s all newer change.

It seems everything I clean in vinegar turns orange....

Are talking "silver coins" as in 1964 or older coins
or are your silver coins newer, as in 1965 to 2020 -- those are clad
clad coins are not silver metal content, just that in color...
you can still clean those, just separate from your pennies, no real harm in value, just in looks
Old coins 1964 and older Yes don't ever clean those with any chemicals or polishes, maybe just a rinse of tap water and mild hand soap like dawn

Remove all pennies from the batch. And start over.

If you are using a Harbor Freight type tumbler put in about $20 of Clad quarters, or etc., with about a 1/4 cup of aquarium small gravel, about 1 Tablespoon of salt and just cover everything with vinegar enough to just about the top of the item/contents. Tumble for about an 30-45 minutes. The coins should now have a flat matted look/finish, but it should remove the redish color. Rinse with water...

Are talking "silver coins" as in 1964 or older coins
or are your silver coins newer, as in 1965 to 2020 -- those are clad
clad coins are not silver metal content, just that in color...
you can still clean those, just separate from your pennies, no real harm in value, just in looks
Old coins 1964 and older Yes don't ever clean those with any chemicals or polishes, maybe just a rinse of tap water and mild hand soap like dawn

Clad and silver... I have some early 60’s quarters, and a bunch of newer ones.

So real silver, just tap water, and the rest can be together just separate from pennies.

I will get the tumbler going.

Thanks!

Clad and silver... I have some early 60’s quarters, and a bunch of newer ones.

So real silver, just tap water, and the rest can be together just separate from pennies.

I will get the tumbler going.

Thanks!

The silver ones shouldn't need any tumbling. I rub mine with baking soda and water paste to shine them up sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom