Pretty Gold Ring but not much Else

Compass

Forum Supporter
On my last hunt targets were few and far between- even junk was hard to come by. However, I stuck with the plan and at my 4th beach I had what I would call a fluke find in a patch of wet sand where I really wasn't expecting much.
picture.php

The ring has been re-sized and the markings were distorted in the process. When I first found it the back was clogged with sand and the stone looked black so I thought it was an onyx. When I rinsed the sand away I was pleasantly surprised to see the beautiful green color.
picture.php

Other than that I only found 2 quarters, a nickel, some zinc pennies and a little trash in about 3 hours of detecting. Hopefully, there will be a couple more golden surprises before the year ends. GL&HH!

You did good to get a gold ring with such lame conditions that are going on in CA for a long while now . I like the money-shot pix of the ring on the scale :cool3:

There's a bump in the surf gonna happen @ this coming Tuesday AM. But the problem is, that the high tides are wimpy :( And it's NW direction (thus gonna be wimpy by the time it gets on to any of your south-facing beaches).

That's the only thing I see on the long-term forecast horizon. Murphy's law is that we have king tides coming up in mid Dec, but .... sure enough .... calm seas. Why oh why can't the Tuesday AM swell come in on a 6.5 high tide day ? Doh ! :(

when getting few targets over a period of time it's hard to keep going, but sometimes -like this time it was definitely worth it.

Gold is gold ! Very pretty ring. Looks old. I hunted yesterday also. Followed the tide out. 5hr hunt yielded 62 cents , a diamond stud , pulltabs and trash. Not many targets. The slope and wet sand looked good , but was horrible. Also took a pic of a big Turkey vulture feeding on a seagull. Never seen that before on the beach. Agree with Tom on the surf reports. Last months storm was great for about a week. Been dead since. You scored Compass.

You did good to get a gold ring with such lame conditions that are going on in CA for a long while now . I like the money-shot pix of the ring on the scale :cool3:

There's a bump in the surf gonna happen @ this coming Tuesday AM. But the problem is, that the high tides are wimpy :( And it's NW direction (thus gonna be wimpy by the time it gets on to any of your south-facing beaches).

That's the only thing I see on the long-term forecast horizon. Murphy's law is that we have king tides coming up in mid Dec, but .... sure enough .... calm seas. Why oh why can't the Tuesday AM swell come in on a 6.5 high tide day ? Doh ! :(
Thanks Tom, Yes, I have noticed that as well- the big swell events haven't been synching with the extreme tidal swings. Oh well...when life gives you lemons...:yes:

when getting few targets over a period of time it's hard to keep going, but sometimes -like this time it was definitely worth it.
Thanks Joe, I agree. If I lived closer to the beach I probably would have called it a day much sooner. As it was I didn't want to drive home in rush-hour traffic so I waited it out and was rewarded. :yes:

Gold is gold ! Very pretty ring. Looks old. I hunted yesterday also. Followed the tide out. 5hr hunt yielded 62 cents , a diamond stud , pulltabs and trash. Not many targets. The slope and wet sand looked good , but was horrible. Also took a pic of a big Turkey vulture feeding on a seagull. Never seen that before on the beach. Agree with Tom on the surf reports. Last months storm was great for about a week. Been dead since. You scored Compass.
Thanks KOB, Yes, I was thinking that the ring had an older style as well. Hard to say how long ago a gold ring was lost. I was out of town and late to the party on that last big surf event and may miss this one as well- yikes! :no:

:dingding: Sometimes the gold will come out of nowhere and when we least expect it. Sticking to the plan paid off. Congrats on a nice looking ring!

Is that a school ring George, I can't tell if it is you need to return it :lol:

Congrats đź‘Ź nice cheddar ringđź‘Ť
Thanks Metal, Of course all gold is nice but I do prefer "pretty" gold. :D

:dingding: Sometimes the gold will come out of nowhere and when we least expect it. Sticking to the plan paid off. Congrats on a nice looking ring!
Thanks Felix, Yes, and other times we just know that we are going to find gold and it doesn't happen. I guess it all balances out. :yes:

Is that a school ring George, I can't tell if it is you need to return it :lol:
Craig, when it was covered in wet sand it looked like a girl's class ring. I've done pretty well on gold rings this year and not a single one is a class ring. :?:

Love the Goldies! Congrats on that beauty.
Cheers
Doc
Thanks Doc, so do I! It was covered in wet sand when I picked it up and, even though I knew it was a ring, I didn't know it was gold until I wiped the sand away. :shock:

That's a real beauty . It's good to see you got a nice reward for sticking with it !
Congratulations !
Thank Soil Surgeon, I didn't mention it but I found the ring very close to where some people were fishing. I didn't want to get too close but I really wanted to hunt that spot. Glad I did!

I'm sure that gave off a nice signal. Congrats!
Thanks Walrus, Interesting point. With the TDI Beachhunter, good, deep, targets are "short" and faint but well defined. It also loves the low conductors like small aluminum, nickels and gold. :yes:

George, you made a great point about where you live in relation to the beach and staying on the hunt. Over time, the extra hours you log swinging even in bad conditions will produce results like your ring here.....In a backwards-twisted logic kind of way, you have an advantage over a guy like me who lives 10 minutes from Manhattan Beach Pier. If I don't like what I see I just cruise home and start working on my power list.....which means I miss opportunities that you and others take advantage of by sticking it out....great score...
-Jerry

Awesome looking ring, i am surprised it didn't weigh more!
Thanks Z, I know that the ring looks big in the picture but it doesn't even fit on my small finger all the way. It is also hollowed out near the top. I think the shape and weight of the ring may have helped the surf move it into detectable range. :yes:

George, you made a great point about where you live in relation to the beach and staying on the hunt. Over time, the extra hours you log swinging even in bad conditions will produce results like your ring here.....In a backwards-twisted logic kind of way, you have an advantage over a guy like me who lives 10 minutes from Manhattan Beach Pier. If I don't like what I see I just cruise home and start working on my power list.....which means I miss opportunities that you and others take advantage of by sticking it out....great score...
-Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I also feel like I need to find something good to show the boss when I get home. But wow! 10 minutes from the beach sounds amazing! :wow:

Back
Top Bottom