Lost Ads in Craigslist

RyanChappell

Elite Member
Is there any danger in responding to an ad to help someone find a lost item from an ad on craigslist?

I am thinking yes. Find out who they are. Make sure they are in the phonebook or whitepages.com if you can and that is their real address. Make sure you meet somewhere safe. Take a witness/bodyguard with you.

What else should one do if responding to a "I lost my ring ad"?

One thing I am absolutly going to start doing in 3 weeks is conceal and carry. November 1st in Wisconsin the law goes into effect. Just my opinion though.

One thing I am absolutly going to start doing in 3 weeks is conceal and carry. November 1st in Wisconsin the law goes into effect. Just my opinion though.

You know it has always been an option here!

I think the last time I heard in Alabama you can carry unconcealed without a permit. In some or most states it has to be concealed right?

I looked into the knife laws here. You can carry big fold up knife up to 23.5" whatever the width of an average hand is (rule of thumb, I mean hand) concealed all you want, except in certain cities that reduced the length, then it has to be unconcealed.

You can carry a sheath knife, or Bowie knife as long as it is unconcealed. Now if you have a permit does that mean you can carry a concealed Bowie knife?

Yes, you have to get a permit. It includes fingerprinting and background check, but is pretty easy to obtain from what I am reading. My neighbor is suggesting I also get a concealed carry permit in Utah, because I guess they have reciprocity with a bunch of other states. He is legal in somewhere around 19 states or so, but not his homestate until November 1st.

You know it has always been an option here!

I think the last time I heard in Alabama you can carry unconcealed without a permit. In some or most states it has to be concealed right?

I looked into the knife laws here. You can carry big fold up knife up to 23.5" whatever the width of an average hand is (rule of thumb, I mean hand) concealed all you want, except in certain cities that reduced the length, then it has to be unconcealed.

You can carry a sheath knife, or Bowie knife as long as it is unconcealed. Now if you have a permit does that mean you can carry a concealed Bowie knife?

I don't know all the laws about it, but I do know that alot of states it is legal to carry openly, and if you want to conceal you need the permit. I do not know the laws about knifes, whether you can conceal or not, and how long they can be.

i have my carry permit for PA but you can also open carry in PA(which could draw unwanted attention depending on where ya are)

Yes, you have to get a permit. It includes fingerprinting and background check, but is pretty easy to obtain from what I am reading. My neighbor is suggesting I also get a concealed carry permit in Utah, because I guess they have reciprocity with a bunch of other states. He is legal in somewhere around 19 states or so, but not his homestate until November 1st.

i would see if having an out of state permit would be valid in your state, some states only recognize out of state permits only if the permit holder is from the state issued. here in iowa you need a resident permit if you want to carry concealed even if you have a utah or florida non-resident permit

i have a permit and carry all the time, and especially when doing craigslist deals, you never know whats

Craigslist answer to a ad

I wouldn't feel its worth the effort. Research your county and look for things you get to keep.

White's M6 Greenville Michigan

One thing that bothers me about that is that you have to remember to renew it every year, what a pain! With the car tags I get a card and can renew it online. How do C&C permit renewals work? If you have to file every year like taxes, I know I would forget. I can't remember anything anymore, and yearly is way too soon for stuff like that. Every 4 years like drivers licenses would be nice. A year goes by like 4 months used to.

Illinois is working on it but it will be hard with our current governor, even though better than 90% of the county sheriff’s in the state support C and C.

Be careful for sure. Ask questions that a person who really lost something and needs help would know. When I was scraping cars I knew anyone who called and wanted a car picked up fast was usually up to some trickery. I never responded to calls that wanted me to come after dark, or sell me a big block Chevelle for $50. I would tell people who seemed questionable that I would need to photo copy their drivers license and it was amazing how many had lost it or did not have one, but were trying to sell me a car. An honest man would say you can see it but you cannot copy it. I also dressed down. My wife ask me one time "you are not going to pick up a car dressed like that are you? You look homeless!". I told her I did not want to look like a guy with a roll of $100 bills in my pocket (scrap tends to be a cash business). Of course you want to look respectable if you are going to recover a high dollar ring for someone. If it sounds to good to be true it is! Be careful!

cb

I think the biggest danger is being accused of stealing the object you were trying to find. IE, if the CL poster tells you where s/he lost the item but you can't find it, will you be suspected of keeping it?

I chase after lost items from Craigslist occasionally, these thoughts have crossed my mind.

CC

I recently got my concealed carry licence in michigan it was 100.00 for the class then 100 or so to bring it to the county cleark office, wait a month or two go infront of a board they did a background check for felonys and i was out the door. most states its legal to carry openly without a concealed carry licence also you can carry on your property. but once you get into a vehicle you are concealing it! i think its a great idea any anyone who is thinking about cc should deffinatley consider it.

I still have not gotten my CC permit. You would think that after graduated the Police Academy they would give you one. I have not gotten a job as a officer (LONG STORY) so I need a CC.

I recently got my concealed carry licence in michigan it was 100.00 for the class then 100 or so to bring it to the county cleark office, wait a month or two go infront of a board they did a background check for felonys and i was out the door. most states its legal to carry openly without a concealed carry licence also you can carry on your property. but once you get into a vehicle you are concealing it! i think its a great idea any anyone who is thinking about cc should deffinatley consider it.

Never thought about that. So no matter what, if it is laying on the seat, hanging on a rack, if you have a handgun, rifle too?, in your vehicle they can get you for not having a permit?

It is a diamond earring so I am thinking that I will need to use the HF 6" coil on the 305, but will ask to scan the earring they still have on both detectors. Maybe since I am worried about getting ambushed I will just use the 305? Since the E-Trac would probably be a waste of time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom