UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

Thanks for all the info on collecting and the lights. I am holding out for the one integrated into the crown jewel :) .

I wonder if KT already knows if a specimen fluoresces when making an acquisition. One cannot see before hand when buying on line unless the seller has checked and provided a photo.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info on collecting and the lights. I am holding out for the one integrated into the crown jewel :) .

I wonder if KT already knows if a specimen fluoresces when making an acquisition. One cannot see before hand when buying on line unless the sell has checked and provided a photo.

KT searches with the phrase, fluorescent mineral, on eBay. And if the seller does not provide a decent picture, the specimen is passed over! Like in the Forum, no picture, not true! :laughing::laughing:

I imagine you pay a bit of a premium once is labeled as fluorescent. However, it probably isn't worth investing in something with the hopes of a nice fluorescing specimen even if it is a little cheaper.

I imagine you pay a bit of a premium once is labeled as fluorescent. However, it probably isn't worth investing in something with the hopes of a nice fluorescing specimen even if it is a little cheaper.

When eBay hunting, KT restricts the pricing on the search engine to $20 or less, and then scans through the 800 or so entries. Even with this careful screening, there are some minerals that show up that are not fluorescent. Apparently their search engine has a problem with discriminating between iridescent and fluorescent! :laughing::laughing: And sometimes recent listings are present, though not fluorescent. Plus KT has some friends who take pity on the Olde King and sent a package to the Royal Castle of fluorescent goodies! Those are always fun to open!

You might be surprised how attractive hand sized fluorescent specimens are! Space is limited in the Dungeon Display room, what with the large collection of silver halves KT continues to accumulate! :lol::lol:

Ha! ... the dungeon room!!!

Yes, room is always an issue with any hobby. I have an interest in local rocks and minerals but I don't classify myself as a collector. However, I do save many reference samples and materials which have been taking up enough room already. That is on top of many other interests such as a chemistry lab bench and microscopes, model rockets / planes, a couple of detectors, bicycles, camping equipment, etc, etc, etc ....

Yes, room is always an issue with any hobby. I have an interest in local rocks and minerals but I don't classify myself as a collector. However, I do save many reference samples and materials which have been taking up enough room already. That is on top of many other interests such as a chemistry lab bench and microscopes, model rockets / planes, a couple of detectors, bicycles, camping equipment, etc, etc, etc ....

Ahhhh, the true Renaissance Collector, the problem being the only truly real Renaissance Man died in the Renaissance! :laughing::laughing: KT does not know your age, but as you age, you will begin to abandon some of those activities for those you like more. KT has collected many different things in His Royal Lifetime, but fluorescent minerals and CRHing presently hold his Royal Attention! :lol::lol:

Ahhhh, the true Renaissance Collector, the problem being the only truly real Renaissance Man died in the Renaissance! :laughing::laughing: KT does not know your age, but as you age, you will begin to abandon some of those activities for those you like more. KT has collected many different things in His Royal Lifetime, but fluorescent minerals and CRHing presently hold his Royal Attention! :lol::lol:

It is indeed easy to "accumulate" hobbies :lol:

I have many various hobbies, many are casual occasional interests, some I take more time with depending on the time of the year. (of course detecting this winter got put on hold with the extra cold and unusual snow and freezing rain :lol:)

Of course I consider metal detecting more than just a hobby, it is my exercise program :lol: fun exercise, being fun makes it easier to get enough exercise :lol: (I need to try to do extra chores for exercise in the winter though :lol:)

The inside hobbies like fluorescent minerals come in handy when the weather has been extra cold :lol: Also getting back into a side "hobby" I hadn't messed with for about 20 years, shortwave radio, getting one that also has the airband, ordered a "CC Crane Skywave" from Amazon.

So I guess I need to add shortwave radio to my list of hobbies, including astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening. I have telescopes, a microscope, various magnets, some powerful, can do some interesting stuff with magnets. (also, I still have some Estes brand model rockets I have not messed with in likely over 20 years :lol: likely a few other side interests I'm not even thinking of right now :lol:)

It's good to have various interests so if you need a temporary break from one hobby you have others. Again, some of the "hobbies" are more of an occasional interest that goes along with your more main hobby or hobbies :lol:

So no one gets the impression that all I do is hobbies all day, as much as I enjoy the various interests and hobbies, there is non-hobby stuff that needs to take priority before hobbies, (of course one "non-hobby" thing I need to do every day is my chores :lol:)

Last edited:
It is indeed easy to "accumulate" hobbies :lol:

I have many various hobbies, many are casual occasional interests, some I take more time with depending on the time of the year. (of course detecting this winter got put on hold with the extra cold and unusual snow and freezing rain :lol:)

Of course I consider metal detecting more than just a hobby, it is my exercise program :lol: fun exercise, being fun makes it easier to get enough exercise :lol: (I need to try to do extra chores for exercise in the winter though :lol:)

The inside hobbies like fluorescent minerals come in handy when the weather has been extra cold :lol: Also getting back into a side "hobby" I hadn't messed with for about 20 years, shortwave radio, getting one that also has the airband, ordered a "CC Crane Skywave" from Amazon.

So I guess I need to add shortwave radio to my list of hobbies, including astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening. I have telescopes, a microscope, various magnets, some powerful, can do some interesting stuff with magnets. (also, I still have some Estes brand model rockets I have not messed with in likely over 20 years :lol: likely a few other side interests I'm not even thinking of right now :lol:)

It's good to have various interests so if you need a temporary break from one hobby you have others. Again, some of the "hobbies" are more of an occasional interest that goes along with your more main hobby or hobbies :lol:

So no one gets the impression that all I do is hobbies all day, as much as I enjoy the various interests and hobbies, there is non-hobby stuff that needs to take priority before hobbies, (of course one "non-hobby" thing I need to do every day is my chores :lol:)

Ahhh, yes, the daily chores do take some of KT’s Royal Time also! :laughing::laughing: And KT has one Marlin Model 60 that is begging for a cameo paint job, but first it needs an expert cleaning, minor rust removal from the barrel, and the stock needs infilling of all dings, dents, and deep scratches, before the camo application. KT has been holding this rifle for when other priorities settle down a bit, and the weather becomes warm, yet not too humid so that camo paint will dry and harden in a reasonable time. Once KT starts the process, He likes to finish it in a 2 day period.

KT - my age is between late middle age and early old man. Fortunately, my health is still good. I have found that my hobby profile is hourglass shaped. I had many of them in my early years and they dropped off as time and funds were in short supply. Now that I have more time and resources, I find that I have the same interests that I had long ago and they are now resurfacing. Unfortunately, some of these interests are less relevant in today's world.

GKL - Wow, it sounds like we have just about the same interests. Unfortunately, shortwave radio is one of those things that is becoming less relevant in today's world with fewer stations broadcasting as compared to the past. Currently, I don't have a single side band receiver so I don't hear a lot of the hams that still broadcast. That is something that is on my list to buy. My cheaper telescope doesn't get out often since that hobby is on the back burner for the moment. I dabbled a very little in electronics. That hobby has changed a bit due to surface mounted components making modern devices difficult with which to work. Many things are more modular and computer based now.

KT - One new hobby item of mine is a nicer 22 caliber air riffle. I should have started that one younger as my eyes are not what they used to be, arms are not as strong, and am less steady. It is very enjoyable though. I would love to see pictures of some of your camo rifles.

KT - my age is between late middle age and early old man. Fortunately, my health is still good. I have found that my hobby profile is hourglass shaped. I had many of them in my early years and they dropped off as time and funds were in short supply. Now that I have more time and resources, I find that I have the same interests that I had long ago and they are now resurfacing. Unfortunately, some of these interests are less relevant in today's world.

GKL - Wow, it sounds like we have just about the same interests. Unfortunately, shortwave radio is one of those things that is becoming less relevant in today's world with fewer stations broadcasting as compared to the past. Currently, I don't have a single side band receiver so I don't hear a lot of the hams that still broadcast. That is something that is on my list to buy. My cheaper telescope doesn't get out often since that hobby is on the back burner for the moment. I dabbled a very little in electronics. That hobby has changed a bit due to surface mounted components making modern devices difficult with which to work. Many things are more modular and computer based now.

KT - One new hobby item of mine is a nicer 22 caliber air riffle. I should have started that one younger as my eyes are not what they used to be, arms are not as strong, and am less steady. It is very enjoyable though. I would love to see pictures of some of your camo rifles.

OldSchoolSimple - If you pan back a few pages in this tread, looking for KT’s postings, you will find several threads posted where His Majesty goes through the actual process photo by photo and shows the finished results. If you cannot find them, then pm me your email addy and KT will send you some pictures of the finished products!

And, ha ha, that is how KT views Himself…thinks He is late middle age, but younger folks would say, KT is an Olde King! :laughing::laughing:

Ahhh, yes, the daily chores do take some of KT’s Royal Time also! :laughing::laughing: And KT has one Marlin Model 60 that is begging for a cameo paint job, but first it needs an expert cleaning, minor rust removal from the barrel, and the stock needs infilling of all dings, dents, and deep scratches, before the camo application. KT has been holding this rifle for when other priorities settle down a bit, and the weather becomes warm, yet not too humid so that camo paint will dry and harden in a reasonable time. Once KT starts the process, He likes to finish it in a 2 day period.

....hey you can enjoy your hobbies more when you know your chores are done :lol:

My telescopes are modest, a 4 inch wide field reflector, and a budget 60mm refractor (and some very small scopes) also have a few pairs of binoculars which are good for wide field astronomy and easy to take outside when you only want to be outside a few minutes during this extra cold weather :lol:

As far as shortwave, the SW radio I ordered is a C Crane CC Skywave

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTI6YK/

The shortwave model above does not include SSB but does have the aircraft band, they do have a model like the above that includes the SSB but it was about $80 more (almost twice as much) to have the SSB included and being on a relatively tight budget as far as hobby stuff I just could not bring myself to pay that much more :lol: (I was using some of the Christmas and birthday money I had not yet spent to go along with my hobby budget allowance :lol:)

As far as getting ham broadcasts I was going to see if my wife as agreeable to us getting a scanner to hear local transmissions, ham as well as other public stuff though I think most of the police frequencies are now encrypted, but still should be other stuff to hear. One such scanner I was researching is the "Uniden BC365CRS 500 Channel Scanner" https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC365CRS-Commonly-Aircraft-transmissions/dp/B01C73X4FK but I need to research more to see if it would pick up enough transmissions in our local area to make it worthwhile getting. (different areas use different broadcast methods)
EDIT TO ADD: Seems the Uniden BC365CRS "might" not be the best choice for my area, the more I research which Ham radio scanner to get the more I am learning I need to keep researching more :lol:

As far as electronics, I agree that with the modern gadgets nowadays and the way they make them, it's not like way back when getting electronic kits and stuff for DIY projects was more worth the effort. Electronics is fascinating though, I was trained back in the early 1970's in the Navy to work on naval aviation electronics and it was fun to learn.

OldSchoolSimple - If you pan back a few pages in this tread, looking for KT’s postings, you will find several threads posted where His Majesty goes through the actual process photo by photo and shows the finished results. If you cannot find them, then pm me your email addy and KT will send you some pictures of the finished products!

And, ha ha, that is how KT views Himself…thinks He is late middle age, but younger folks would say, KT is an Olde King! :laughing::laughing:

.....I remembered KT had some threads on his cameo hobby, here is one of them:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=286195

Last edited:
Back to fluorescent minerals! HA HA

KT has a friend, Steve Bonney, who lives in Kentucky and is a mineral collector, particularly liking micro mineral specimens. Well, a few days back he sent me an email to inform His Majesty that a Royal Care package was in the mail. Several specimens that contained fluorescent minerals. These examples of calcite on dolomite are from some Road cuts of I-64, near Owensville, Bath County, Kentucky. The calcite has inclusions of hydrocarbons, which are fluorescent. First picture of each specimen is at 15X in natural light. Second picture is 15X in 365nm LWUV and viewed through a yellow filter. The petroleum fluoresces yellow and in this piece the dolomite fluoresces a weak red.

The second specimen is also calcite on dolomite, but the dolomite is brown in color, likely the color is due to a trace of Fe. Fe kills fluorescence in many minerals and the dolomite in this piece is non-responsive to UV. The first pic is again in natural light at 15X. The second pic is in 365nm LWUV, viewed through a yellow filter. The fluorescence is so strong it wipes out the yellow color, no matter how KT tries to correct it, it just shows up white.

Enjoy the pictures! Incidentally, there are several more pictures to come of other minerals!

Attachments

• Calcite and dolomite I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    Calcite and dolomite I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Calcite and dolomite I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    Calcite and dolomite I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Calcite and dolomite01 I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    Calcite and dolomite01 I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Calcite and dolomite01 I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Calcite and dolomite01 I-64 roadcuts, Bath Co., KY 15X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 57
Next couple of fluorescent specimens are from the Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY. This site is controlled for collecting by the Ben E. Clements Mineral Museum of KY. Permission is granted to valid groups and collectors pay a fee to the Museum for the privilege.

The first pair of pictures are of fluorite and are 15X magnification. It is interesting that the fluorite, a commonly fluorescent mineral, in this instance is not fluorescent, but it contains minute inclusions of hydrocarbon, which are highly fluorescent. First picture is in natural light and second picture is in LW UV 365nm. One can see that the hydrocarbons were introduced by late fluids, as the fluorite contains them as phantoms on the cube faces.

The second pair of pictures is of late forming quartz crystals, with an odd tannish tint. The color is formed by numerous minute hydrocarbon inclusions in the first natural light picture. The second picture is in LW UV 365nm and shows that the fluorescent hydrocarbon in the interior of some of the larger tannish crystals.

There are several more pictures to go, but KT hopes you take the time to enjoy these while waiting on the next images! :lol::lol:

Attachments

• Quartz with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    Quartz with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Quartz with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    Quartz with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Fluorite with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    Fluorite with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Fluorite with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    Fluorite with petrol inclusions Eureka prospects, Marion, Crittenden Co., KY 15X natural light.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 61
KT - Wow, the paint job on the Henry US Survival is outstanding!!! Even if the camo models weren't $70 more, I would still prefer yours. Is there a name for that type of pattern or technique? There would probably a tutorial on youtube.

GKL - That is a big difference in price for the SSB. I have been enjoying some longer range AM listening with a Sangean PR-D4W. I got a very good deal on a like new one on e-bay.

Enough of this side track and I will try to keep on topic from here out!!!

Thanks for sharing these. Micro minerals and micro-mounting specimens is a whole area in itself. One should not be surprised to see these area cross over with UV. I have made just a few micromounts with some common materials and it is a bit tedious. However, it is a very nice and compact way to collect and display small specimens.

KT - Wow, the paint job on the Henry US Survival is outstanding!!! Even if the camo models weren't $70 more, I would still prefer yours. Is there a name for that type of pattern or technique? There would probably a tutorial on youtube.

GKL - That is a big difference in price for the SSB. I have been enjoying some longer range AM listening with a Sangean PR-D4W. I got a very good deal on a like new one on e-bay.

Don't worry about any "side track" posts, it is not a problem to have some occasional "side track" posts :lol:

Hey, Sangean is a good brand name from what I read, congrats !!!!

Besides shortwave I also wanted to get into ham radio (on a budget level of course :lol:) not only can it be a hobby but also could come in handy if any emergency situations came up.

So I ordered a YAESU FT-60R (a budget level ham radio, but still well made enough to be worth getting)

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007323

(I really had to stretch my hobby budget after just buying the shortwave, even needed to get an advance on my hobby allowance :lol:)

You can listen to ham radio without a license, but I plan on getting my ham license so I can also transmit.

As far as looking for a scanner to receive local public safety type transmissions I learned in our area you need a radio that can pick up P25 Digital trunking transmissions, and the units I saw online so far are very pricey so I will stick with a regular ham radio, at least for now :lol:

(maybe there is a way to hear P25 Digital trunking transmissions online or thru a phone app, I am not sure as of right now, but I hope so as the type of radio needed is way too pricey as I mentoned, unless there is a low end budget model out there I don't know about yet)

More very neat specimens KT !!!!

Kinda looks like you have some rough diamonds too :lol:

The yellow mineral still looks neat in the photo, but I understand how usually fluorescent minerals under UV look even better in person and it can be a challenge to get photos that look as good as in person, but even so you have done a good job with the photos !

HA HA. I call it a grass and shadow pattern. Who knows what other folks call it. But for grasslands and prairie it is a good pattern. It is made with basically 3 colors and black. First you do a base coat, then layer on different colors using a handful of long grass pressed down on the stock....doing that in 1 color in random places. After drying you do the same thing with another handful of grass in a different color with some overlapping and some in new places...dry and repeat with third color. After dry, you come back with the last handful of grass and sparingly use flat black....that creates the shadow effect. Let dry. Then look it over well. If it looks too bright, then hit it with a dusting of black from about 15 to 18" away, just a quick light dusting. Finally when dry, then use a flat coat of clear coat as a hardened layer.

You much clean everything you plan on painting with a quality low viscosity cleaner, like xylene or engine grease remover, to remove all grease and oils from the surface. Then wear gloves when masking off those parts you do not want overspray to reach. When applying base coat, I hang from a wire, like a coat hanger. That way I can walk around it and not have to wait for it to dry to turn it over if I did it laying on cardboard. But the grass treatment is done while it is laying on cardboard so I can control exactly where I put the pattern. The paint sprays through the grass and gives a surprisingly nice pattern to the undercoat. Most of the undercoat will not show when you are finished. Some people start with a dark green undercoat and others use light tan. Walmart generally has inexpensive Camo paints in their spray paint section. Be careful when buying your paint as you do not want any satin or gloss finish, only flat or camo style (which are all matte finish).

More very neat specimens KT !!!!

Kinda looks like you have some rough diamonds too :lol:

The yellow mineral still looks neat in the photo, but I understand how usually fluorescent minerals under UV look even better in person and it can be a challenge to get photos that look as good as in person, but even so you have done a good job with the photos !

Thanks, GKL! It is a challenge to take a decent in-focus image with proper color rendition. Most of my photos of fl. minerals now are done with a tripod to steady the camera. Of course with the microscope, it has its own stand! :laughing::laughing:

A common mineraloid....unusual fluorescent color!

A mineraloid is not a true mineral because it has an amorphous structure instead of a crystalline structure, but this mineraloid, opal, is a common material in nature. There are many types, given different names, such as common, jelly, fire, precious, etc. This example is common opal, termed hyaline in many books and publications. It is known for being clear coatings that most often fluoresce green, due to traces of Uranium. It commonly forms as a late stage deposit in open pockets, coating whatever other minerals are present with a gelatinous looking film.

This specimen is from Girard, Burke County, Georgia, USA. The site is well known for producing interesting phosphate minerals, but in this instance it is only hyaline coating chert matrix. But the fluorescent color is NOT green, but instead a creamy white to blue white. KT has many books on fluorescence and of course the availability of the internet. But He found only one source of information, Henkel's Glossary on Fluorescent Minerals, that listed more than green as a color option. It listed white, blue white, yellow cream, green (of course) and a few others.

KT therefore considers this specimen rather unusual as a fluorescent mineral. The first picture was taken at 15X and with natural light. The opal displays as a clear coating on the matrix. The second picture was taken at 15X and using LWUV 365nm light.

Something a bit different. White fluorescence does not visually "knock your socks off" but still is worth noting!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Hyaline, Girard, Burke Co., GA 15X natural light.jpg
    Hyaline, Girard, Burke Co., GA 15X natural light.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Hyaline, Girard, Burke Co., GA 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    Hyaline, Girard, Burke Co., GA 15X LW UV 365nm.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom