2020 Definitely not the year of Plenty

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Unless you want talk about all the craziness we have all witnessed and had to endure. Plenty of that for sure.

I have to admit coming of my best year ever in 2019 I was spoiled and it continued up until March 14th. Then came the lock down. I was riding high on the silver train. Doing great on the wheats, Ihps and a bunch of tokens and other cool finds. My first sterling fty was an awesome Tiffany &Co. 1908 Pitt Athletic cufflink. I found a new honey hole in an old city park and spanked it for 17 silvers, at least 50 older wheats, a few of Ihps a bunch of Buffs, Vs and even a nickel trifecta, the only trifecta fty. It seemed I could do no wrong. I even got a Walker and a Rosie from the coinstar in Jan. In January I also found my one and only civil war find and my avatar, a union navy cuff button. In Feb, right around Presidents day I found a couple of GW. tokens and probably my coolest find of the year, a Pittsburgh Press newsboy pin. On my last hunt (3-14) my most memorable find was a 1979 Pitt Fiesta Bowl championship ring and subsequent return. By that time I had 31 hunts in with 26 silver, 85 wheats and so on. 2021-01-09 10.56.52.jpg

2021-01-09 10.54.44.jpg
After that I didn't get out for a public hunt till the second week of June. I did one little foray in a neighbors yard in May which netted me an Ihp. The first outing was at the local park, some clad and my first sterling ring fty. The next outing was back to my honey hole at the old park. No silver but I did dig my one and only gold ring fty. A very dry summer brought things to a halt and the one and only permission I got gave up a little clad and two sterling rings. I would not dig another silver coin (56 Rosie) till the second week of Nov and then my last a knarly 47 Rosie at the local park. On that hunt I also found a cool Pittsburgh Railways button. Overall totals for 2020 were down by two thirds or more compared to 2019- hunts 131 2020-50 silvers 104--28 and wheats in 19 were at 434. I finished 20 with 115. Hopefully 2021 will be better in all respects and especially for Mding. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and good luck to all as I see many of you are off to a strong start already. Mark

Attachments

• 2021-01-03 21.03.01 (2).jpg
    2021-01-03 21.03.01 (2).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 2020-03-14 07.51.00.jpg
    2020-03-14 07.51.00.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200607_160352.jpg
    20200607_160352.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 2020-06-14 15.35.39.jpg
    2020-06-14 15.35.39.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 20210103_155349 (2).jpg
    20210103_155349 (2).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 2021-01-03 21.01.13.jpg
    2021-01-03 21.01.13.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 285
That's a lot of variety and quality for an entire year, much less just two and a half months. Nice going. Nearly a silver per hunt on average and 1 silver for about every 3 wheats or so. I think I recall that newsboy badge. Nice find.

In previous years I average about 6 wheats per silver, but for some reason it worked out to 10 to 1 in 2020. If all of the wheats had been from the 40's and 50's I'd understand, but I was getting plenty of early wheats. I "should have" ended up with about 8 more silver than I did. Now I just need to figure out where to submit my complaint!

That's 'plenty' more than I got this year Mark. There's still quite a few neat finds there.

Thank you Jim, I am happy with what did find but still can't help thinking about all the lost time we all suffered last year. Good luck in 2021. Mark

That's a lot of variety and quality for an entire year, much less just two and a half months. Nice going. Nearly a silver per hunt on average and 1 silver for about every 3 wheats or so. I think I recall that newsboy badge. Nice find.

In previous years I average about 6 wheats per silver, but for some reason it worked out to 10 to 1 in 2020. If all of the wheats had been from the 40's and 50's I'd understand, but I was getting plenty of early wheats. I "should have" ended up with about 8 more silver than I did. Now I just need to figure out where to submit my complaint!

TS thanks if you do find the complaint dept. Let me know :lol::lol: I like to keep my my silver to ratio around 4:1 and so far since I've been mding it seems to be right in that area. Most of the time. I'm at 4 wheats this year so that means my next keeper dig should be a silver. Right ? Yeah I wish. Good luck with your permissions this year. I got one in late Dec. a 1912 house. After 3 trips about 6 bucks in clad and 7 wheaties. Has to be silver there somewhere. Hope you are still able to get out. Mark

Looks like a dang incredible year from here, like that newspaper badge. Very nice pics and finds!

Thank you sir, I guess I'm greedy. I blame it on my American dna of always wanting more, bigger, better. True happiness is focusing on and appreciating what you have and not what you don't. I know this but its still hard. Good luck in 2021. Mark

I remember most of these posts Mark, you had a great year considering! Congrats, and good luck in 2021!

Thanks Jeff I did have a great first quarter. As I remember you also had a pretty remarkable one. Have you did your wrap up yet ? If you did I don't remember seeing it. Good luck to you in 2021. And I hope your winter ain't too bad for yinz guys up air . (you guys up there). Mark

Nice year end wrap up Mark! Despite being a shortened season I think you did very well, I love that newsboy badge, Congrats on all the goodies and best of luck in 21’!

Excellent finds Mark, you had a pretty good year I'd say. Gotta love western pa

Woody thank you and yes W. Pa is a great place to hunt. I only wish I could get some colonial ground to hunt. Everything in a 25 mile radius seems to have been re-developed. Good luck to you in the coming year. Whats your weapon of choice for this year? Mark

I’d say you had a great year! Congrats Mark!

Thank you Erik,and good luck, ya asif you need it. lol Mark

Nice year end wrap up Mark! Despite being a shortened season I think you did very well, I love that newsboy badge, Congrats on all the goodies and best of luck in 21’!

Ron Thank you sir and your right I should be thankful for all the goodies I did find. If I remember you started hitting some pretty old and cool stuff last year. Good luck to you this year. Mark

Impressive group of finds Mark......Congrats and best of luck to you in 2021.

Thank you sir. I feel we are running out of weather and it won't be long until Ol' Man Winter takes a big bite out of our collective arse's. Hope you are still able to get out. Good luck, Mark

Mark, all said and done, you had a re"Mark"able year! Those Barbers sure add some nice shinny to the assortment. And to find a Walker at the Coinstar, what more could a person ask for. Best of luck in '21 and keep pushing that silver train along!

Wow! I'd call that an excellent year, even with the shutdowns! I love the local finds, the good looking IHPs, plenty of nice silvers. Hope your 2021 is even better!

Back
Top Bottom