People need to mind their own business

I'm so old and ugly that nobody bothers me. But their dogs love me for some reason, I'm always good for a pet and let them investigate the detector. Nice poochie!

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life . I forgot I was looking at older posts 😃

Not to worry, Almann. Some newer members here might enjoy reading the OP and replies.

Something that might help us if being confronted or approached by "lookie-loos", busy-bodies, park maintenance folks and even interested citizens... just make sure you pick up trash items you dig and hold them till the end of your hunt for disposal. If you can show that you are picking up items potentially dangerous to pets and kids, like sharp pulltabs, nails, screws, even broken glass, their view of you will often be a positive one, versus negative. You might even consider holding back a few of these from the trash bin at the end of your hunt for possible evidence of your good citizenship if confronted/approached by someone near the beginning of your next hunt.
They might even tell their neighbors and family of the nice guy/gal who was picking up dangerous trash while detecting at the park.

I would draw the line though, at picking up hypodermic needles and just call the authorities.

I was at a local city park. I noticed that some one had been digging trenches. Some were six inches wide by 18 inches long. I cleaned them up the best that i could as he had also not properly filled things back in.

Was having an enjoyable time when a guy rode up on a bicycle and demanded to know if i had permission to detect in that park. I replied "I certainly Do" I did not feel the need to tell him that i had granted myself permission to detect there.

He said Oh i got in trouble for detecting here. I looked at him and said i would have thrown you physically out of this park if i had seen you making the mess that you made. I saw where you dug.

He looked shocked and got on his bicycle and rode away. The folks who do the maintenance at that park have never had a problem with my detecting.

Old thread, relevant topic. When I’m on a site, I carry myself and act like I OWN that mother jumper. I don’t “look around furtively” like I’m acting suspiciously or looking for someone to come and arrest me...I just concentrate on my mission. Keep in mind...I’m not hunting any places where I’m gonna get mugged or shot or tipped over...just normal public ground. I don’t typically push any limits which are going to get police or groundskeepers involved. So all should be good.right? There will ALWAYS be someone who is going to assert there stupidity somewhere, and we are unlucky enough to be one of those targets once in awhile.

For the most part when I am out and detecting in local parks I have no issues. No cops being called, no rude people, no nothing. But the other day during my last search of this one park near me I had someone muttering to herself. Now keep in mind this is probably my fourth time going through this particular park. So I was digging this one spot and over to my right side I could hear this lady walking her dog muttering that she couldn't believe they allow me to dig up the park. This just struck me as funny for several reasons. One, I was off to the side of the walkway where there is no grass and no one would be playing at anyway. Second, who would care? I always make sure to dig a proper hole and fill the hole back up when I am finished. Third, if she really had such a big issue with what I am doing she could have politely asked me to stop or said something instead of making a comment out loud under her breath. We all know that kind of comment is meant to be heard sorta. And I'm not an intimidating guy. I'm 5'4" for F's sake. So there is my story. well, I guess more of a rant. But please feel free to tell me your thoughts and comments. Cause I was half tempted to get her attention and confront her. In the most polite way of course. :p

I can't believe they let people out here with ugly dogs...

LOL

Back
Top Bottom