Different Approaches For Metal Detecting Parks.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi All ! :tiphat:

Here are just a few different approaches for metal detecting public parks that I recall and I'm sure there are others.
Hope you find these interesting and helpful.....ToddB64

#1..Beep & Dig (Basically digging every beep your detector gives you, regardless of the area you are hunting.)…..This has it's merits as explained in one particular article by Glen Thomas, starting on page 53 of the Western & Eastern Treasures back-issue, Volume 47, December 2013.

#2..The "Union Jack" (For large open areas, such as football and soccer fields. First you hunt the outer edges or perimeter of a field, then hunt diagonally from corner to corner applying the "Union Jack" approach. Hopefully this method will reveal the "hot spots" where the most targets are found. Since the subject of this post deals with Parks, farm fields are not addressed.

#3..Thumbing the Dial on VLF detector models, regardless of the area being hunted (Popularized in more recent years by username Digger27 on Friendly Metal Detecting Forums website, using the Tesoro Compadre metal detector and determining whether or not to dig a target by thumbing the dial Up the arc until the signal drops off and then back Down the arc to where the signal comes in again and noting the signal characteristics to determine trash or something worth digging as explained in Dave's many posts, especially those in the "Church of the Compadre" forum. I would assume this technique could be duplicated in a similar way with other detectors having either all-analog circuitry, combination analog-digital, all-digital, or audio models also having digital display screens. Note: Only VLF circuitry types were meant to be addressed in this paragraph.).

#4..Criss Cross and Diagonal Search Methods + "Eye-Opener" paragraphs from article by Bill Revis (aka Uncle Willie) on the now defunct TREASURE DEPOT MAGAZINE, that closed down June 02, 2020. These excerpts were scanned on my personal equipment from hard copies I made in 2018 of Bill Revis articles that I thought were exceptional.
(See "Criss-Cross and Diagonal Search Methods" attachment below.)

Additional "Eye-Opener" Paragraph by Bill Revis (Uncle Willie) FYI: (See the 3-paragraph attachment at the bottom.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments

• Scan_20200731 (5).jpg
    Scan_20200731 (5).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Scan_20200731 (2).jpg
    Scan_20200731 (2).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I haven't got the courage up to hunt a public park yet. My "park plan" would be hunt where there aren't people at a time when there aren't people.

Maybe someday but thanks for sharing.

Ken

Some cool info! I've been hitting a lot of parks lately because there aren't a whole lot of people at the beach. I use the diagonal approach you listed and have been pretty successful. Not a lot of old coins or jewelry, but a ton of clad and junk!

Back
Top Bottom