• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Member with Garrett Questions

TSURIKICHI

Hello,

I bought a Garrett Ace 300 about a week ago; of which, I'm very happy with for coin-shooting. I just ordered a Garrett pro-pointer II. A buddy loaned me an original pro-pointer and I did something to it that's caused it to become inoperable.

Here are my yelps for help.

1) I can't get the coil scuff plate to mount or snap onto the bottom of the coil. I tried to align both edges equally but it seems just too tight.

Am I a whimp and don't have the strength to squeeze it on ?
Should I heat the scuff plate to expand it slightly then quickly mount it ?
Suggestions ?

2) I'm afraid I fried my buddys original pro-pointer. aligned alkaline 9V battery female or minus terminal to the larger holes contact. Turning on the pointer and an LED flash and speaker squaak and that was it. Pulled the battery out and it was literally TOO HOT to handle !! I don't do electronics and don't even want to try to do a mother board exchange myself. Live in Lakewood, CA

Does Garrett service pointers?
if not, Do brick and mortar shops commonly do non-warrantee service?

Any help would be appreciated,

Semper Fi

Hi,

The coil cover should snap on without breaking. It can be a pretty tight fit. What I usually do is just lay the cover flat down on the floor or other surface and fit the coil to it while pressing down on the coil until it snaps in. You shouldn't need to heat anything up.

As far the pointer being fried or not I doubt anyone but Garrett can fix the internals. You'll probably need to send it back for repair. Just give them a call through their customer service is excellent.

Regards,

NP

Yep that Worked

Thank you for the advice.
1) The scuff plate went on with some pressing as you suggested. Then... it fell off and didn't fit tightly after remounting. Heard a snap when it went on but ........ Will play with it later.

2) Called Garrett and they were happy to give me the details for sending to them. Pointer is on its' way to Garland .

Thank you

t

I recently saw a member here say Garrett will perform most repairs on their pin pointers that are out of warranty for ~$28. Please update the thread on how much they charge for the repair and what it cost to ship to and from.

I bought a used detector and a coil cover to go on it. I couldn't get it to fit and after studying it more, I discovered it already had one but it blended in so well it looked like a coil.

Back
Top Bottom