Nox 800 and heat?

RocketBoy

Howdy folks! I live in Fla and it gets pretty hot. I guess that's kind of an understatement. It gets bloody hot! Based upon the advertised Specs for the Nox 800, operating temperature range is 14* F to 122* F. I don't believe it gets quite that hot in my vehicle, but it does get hot. So, how do you handle the heat? I read somewhere a person put the control stalk into a cooler. Seems a bit extreme, but then again, I don't know the environment involved. I have an insulated Mylar bag used to transport drugs needing to be kept refrigerated, I've thought about using that. Any other suggestions, or am I over thinking this?

b/r

RB

It absolutely can get that hot. The dark surfaces will be much hotter than the air. Dash, seats....metal detector control boxes and coils...

Short of drastic measures like coolers, or keeping windows or sun roof cracked, just keep it out of direct sunlight. Some window tinting or even those sun shades will help. A white sheet.

I used one of those windshield sun shades when I had to park my vehicle all day in the sun. I'm 100% certain it made a difference.

Sudden changes in heat could be a problem. For example, taking it straight out of a car and dunking it.

The direct sunlight is what you need to worry about. The surface of your screen in a car with the sun beating on it could easily exceed 120 degrees. I try not to store mine in the car in the heat of summer. If I have to, I cover it with a blanket.

I've had some friends that have the screen wig out in the heat when they use a rain over on theirs.

Last weekend here in North Texas, it was 90° with a breeze.
During a hunt, after about 3 hours, I stopped for a beer break. (The land owner came out and gave US beer!)
I propped my 600 on my shovel and walked to the shade.
When I went back to detecting, my display was messed up from the heat. All the segments of the digits were lit up so you couldn't make anything out. I moved to the shade and it corrected itself after a few minutes.

I think the Equinoxes have a heat issue. They do not like it at all.

I try not to leave it in my Jeep. I know it can hit 130° easily inside with windows up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I learned the hard way with my Whites V3i, which is multi frequency. The coils for that machine lost null and ruined more than one coil before I learned not to pack extra coils, or use a thermal bag with a frozen water bottle to stage my coils.

I recommend everyone to respect their multi frequency machines and the extra coils on hunts. I actually carry a digital thermometer in my trunk, and it does hit 120F very easily.

I wouldn't chance it. Extreme heat is never good for electronics especially sensitive instrumentation devices like a metal detector. Not to mention the built in battery on the Nox. Probably a li-ion or li-poly. Extreme heat will kill those prematurely. And then there's the coil. The thermal cycling (expanding and contracting) on the coil could eventually cause stress cracks in the epoxy/plastics that house the coil itself.

I'm glad I asked. This has been very enlightening. I think, just to be on the safe side, I'll invest in a few cooler bag's and frozen ice packs. Today, it was 97*F, with a heat index of 103*F. And, there was cloud cover. LOL! I hadn't considered the coils, so thanks for the heads up. If, I'm at the beach, at least I can dunk it in the water.

b/r

RB

I leave all my detectors in a hot vehicle on a pretty regular basis. No issues. I have a buddy with an Etrac and CTX that stay locked in a covered pickup bed pretty much all the time. The cover is black. Can you imagine how hot it is in there. This has been going on for years. I don't think there is an epidemic of detector or battery failures going on due to heat.

Concerning the Equinox I would not charge the battery in a hot vehicle. I would not use a cover over the main unit in hot conditions. That's me and what other people do is there business. Coolers and cold packs are though a little overkill in my opinion.

@longbow62 I appreciate diverging opinions. I've read other's that mirror your's. I think the answer, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. Since I'm a new Papa, I'll be a little overprotective for now. Maybe not cold packs, but insulated covers will probably be in my future.

b/r

RB

@longbow62 I appreciate diverging opinions. I've read other's that mirror your's. I think the answer, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. Since I'm a new Papa, I'll be a little overprotective for now. Maybe not cold packs, but insulated covers will probably be in my future.

b/r

RB

Check page 61 in the user manual for maintenance, safety and precautions. It will tell you everything you need to know straight from the manufacturer.

Friends of mine who get temp sensitive medication sent to them, give me their insulated packaging flat pack. It is easy to just put in a frozen drink or bottle of frozen water. The coils I own are easy to slide in and a hard frozen bottle will dampen the heat and be a beverage after a thaw. It all works out nicely.

...So, how do you handle the heat?

...I've had some friends that have the screen wig out in the heat when they use a rain over on theirs.

Concerning the Equinox....I would not use a cover over the main unit in hot conditions.

Here’s a thread I posted last summer when I noticed that the Equinox screen goes wonky in direct sunlight on warm days while using a dust cover:

Equinox in the Sun w/Aftermarket Dist Cover

Bottom line, definitely don’t bother using a cover on the Equinox during sunny days over about 80° to 85°F - the control unit housing seems unable to dissipate heat as effective as it needs to. I still use my cover during cooler months, but it’s already off for the summer after the screen started going wonky on me during a hunt earlier in June.

I leave all my detectors in a hot vehicle on a pretty regular basis. No issues. I have a buddy with an Etrac and CTX that stay locked in a covered pickup bed pretty much all the time. The cover is black. Can you imagine how hot it is in there. This has been going on for years. I don't think there is an epidemic of detector or battery failures going on due to heat.

Concerning the Equinox I would not charge the battery in a hot vehicle. I would not use a cover over the main unit in hot conditions. That's me and what other people do is there business. Coolers and cold packs are though a little overkill in my opinion.

This is 100% me. Anyone that knows me knows my trunk is where the CTX and ATP dwell. Lol. I should be better about it, but I'm not. Granted, I live in Seattle where it's not BLISTERING, but summers in the trunk aren't comfortable by any means and I'm sure have gotten to 120*.

I have never had screen issues on either machine nor coil issues on my CTX (being dual frequency). I DO keep the CTX in it's shooter bag though, but it's up in the air if that helps or hurts, who knows.

Definitely will never charge in my car unless I am running down the road with my AC running and it's on the floorboard in it's battery box

Howdy folks! I live in Fla and it gets pretty hot. I guess that's kind of an understatement. It gets bloody hot! Based upon the advertised Specs for the Nox 800, operating temperature range is 14* F to 122* F. I don't believe it gets quite that hot in my vehicle, but it does get hot. So, how do you handle the heat? I read somewhere a person put the control stalk into a cooler. Seems a bit extreme, but then again, I don't know the environment involved. I have an insulated Mylar bag used to transport drugs needing to be kept refrigerated, I've thought about using that. Any other suggestions, or am I over thinking this?

b/r

RB

If air temp in Shade is 90 plus degrees.
If your car is in the sun with windows up temps can get higher than 122.
Try like 140-150 degrees.
Maybe even higher if outside temp is 95 plus F.

I know in Az I couldn’t hold on to my steeering wheel.
It would be 112 in the shade.
Car in the sun there is HOT even hot inside even with windows cracked.

Here’s a video where a gent does experiment in car with hot temps.
70C is getting hot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1w87ZlVDw

Here’s another video. Gent in Phoenix AZ doing experiment using science thermometer in car.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpSABil6zg

Last edited:
It’s only common sense not to let them bake in direct sunlight.
In a car place a blanket over it. Never let it set in the sun.
I would never use a cover in warm weather.
How snare are the engineers at Apple. Their iPads and iPhones will give a warning and will shut down hen they get hot with a warning on the screen.
I’ve seen a Rider rental fill with someone moving and an older type TV melted inside the truck.
We’ve all see eggs fried on concrete. And a detector with black housing. Hot.

tnsharpshooter...so, what do you do in AZ?

b/r

RB

Served out there.
Not there anymore.
It was a dry heat. No bs.
Actually except for monsoon season (humid), if not monsoon season temp had to get around 109+ before I felt uncomfortable. The humidity was low like single digits.
The low humidity is why it gets so hot there.
Monsoon season you won’t see many days over 93F. The water vapor in the air keeps the temp In check.

When humidity is low it bright as all get out out there. Lot brighter than Florida on average since Florida genrslly has higher humidity. Every now and then Florida gets a north wind in summer and humidity drops. Then it might get real bright with temps nest 100F.

Cheers.

I think I fried one of my Fishers years ago. Since then the NOX stays in the house during the Summer and Winter months.

Two nights ago I left my Nox in my vehicle. Tinted back windows. I remembered the next afternoon and brought it inside an air conditioned house. It was 88 degrees outside and I was thinking about this discussion. I measured the temperature with a laser "point and shoot" thermometer. The black plastic on the control box was 115 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom