Modified a shovel bought at Lowes

CharlieT84

Elite Member
I bought this Kobalt shovel based on advice from a video of Aquachigger on you tube. I shortened it by 16" and then I used a small grinder to put teeth in it. I drilled a hole in the handle and threaded cord thru it. Many times I just drag the shovel. The foot rest was too small so I had a friend weld a piece of re-rod on it. It works perfect and I love this shovel. It was on sale when I bought it for about $25. I used it all last year and have really pried with it- it is rugged.

Attachments

• IMG_1275r.jpg
    IMG_1275r.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_1276r.jpg
    IMG_1276r.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1277r.jpg
    IMG_1277r.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,179
  • IMG_1282r.jpg
    IMG_1282r.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,200
I bought this Kobalt shovel based on advice from a video of Aquachigger on you tube. I shortened it by 16" and then I used a small grinder to put teeth in it. I drilled a hole in the handle and threaded cord thru it. Many times I just drag the shovel. The foot rest was too small so I had a friend weld a piece of re-rod on it. It works perfect and I love this shovel. It was on sale when I bought it for about $25. I used it all last year and have really pried with it- it is rugged.

Nice project and quite the transformation. The teeth look great.

Is this the original?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Long-handle-Fiberglass-Trenching-Spade/1000377403

Nice project and quite the transformation. The teeth look great.

Is this the original?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Long-handle-Fiberglass-Trenching-Spade/1000377403

Yes that is the one. I was shopping and it was 20% off. The hardest part was getting the rubber end cap off of the handle. After watching a few you tubes I got the idea. A little heat and a long blunt screw driver wedged up in there to break the adhesion. Then when I cut the shovel down it slipped nicely back on the handle.

Nice work!

Where upstate are you?

The hardest part was getting the rubber end cap off of the handle. After watching a few you tubes I got the idea. A little heat and a long blunt screw driver wedged up in there to break the adhesion.

Bicycle shop trick... Air compressor with pointed nozzle under the grip. Last week I removed a similar grip from a shovel. Two toothpicks wedged under the edge, then hit it with the compressed air between the toothpicks, and it slid right off. When reinstalling, spray a little hairspray on the handle and the grip slides on very easily. After the hairspray dries, the grip will not slip. The wife was like "how did my hairspray get downstairs? This is just too weird" :laughing:

Just be very careful that you do not aim the compressed air at your skin. Bad news if it breaks the skin and enters the bloodstream. Tip from an old tool and die maker friend who was adamant about not aiming compressed air at yourself or another person. RIP, Roland - you were a great teacher.

Bicycle shop trick... Air compressor with pointed nozzle under the grip. Last week I removed a similar grip from a shovel. Two toothpicks wedged under the edge, then hit it with the compressed air between the toothpicks, and it slid right off. When reinstalling, spray a little hairspray on the handle and the grip slides on very easily. After the hairspray dries, the grip will not slip. The wife was like "how did my hairspray get downstairs? This is just too weird" :laughing:

Just be very careful that you do not aim the compressed air at your skin. Bad news if it breaks the skin and enters the bloodstream. Tip from an old tool and die maker friend who was adamant about not aiming compressed air at yourself or another person. RIP, Roland - you were a great teacher.

Great idea. Thanks for the comment, should help greatly with the removal process.

Looks good but we needed some sharpshooters at work so we tried some Kobalt brand shovels. Sorry but they did not pass the test. Blades bent and handles broke. The digging we were doing was not even that extreme. Yours may work fine for you seeing you shortened the handle.

"Predator Tools" shovels and diggers are what I use and could not be happier. They are built for extreme use. Expensive yes although I really can't imagine ever having to buy another shovel or digger.

"Predator Tools" shovels and diggers are what I use and could not be happier. They are built for extreme use. Expensive yes although I really can't imagine ever having to buy another shovel or digger.

Agreed, good work and I'm "digging" the rebar and overall design as well.

For the predator tools.. tools, is there a particular model you'd recommend? Not to derail the thread. It's obvious that the shovel I have currently will require some vertical steel bar stock reinforcements welded on. Not a big deal but may look for something ready made in meantime, depending on time and how soon I organize my workspace.

I would just go to the website. The reason being is that they have so many models to fit different needs. I actually have the Piranha model it has the longest blade of that shape. I love mine!

I like the overall size /shape of the blade but the next shovel I get will not have any teeth. My present Evolution shovel has them and I think they get hung up on more stuff than they cut..

I suspect it because you simply don't get a true sawing motion going when you dig...

There is a Dutch company that make high quality gardening tools and they produce a transplanting spade which has a long thin blade, but the end is a sharpened inverted "V" ..it apparently slices through roots like a hot knife through butter...

Edited to add this is the one:

https://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/sneeboer-transplanting-spade/classid.2000022679/

Not sure I like how the blade is attached to the wooden shaft but I may just copy the blade shape...

Saw teeth

Big saw teeth might look impressive but if they are not sharpened like a wood saw they just grab stuff and do not cut. If they are sharpened like a saw it doesn't last long digging in the dirt. You just might be better with a sharp edge and no teeth-still have to keep it sharp.

Modified shovel bought at Lowes. UPDATED!

Well I broke my shovel. I was not prying too hard but I believe the depth of the hole and where the stress point was caused it to break. It broke right at the top of the hole as that was the pry point and it happened in a direct line with two of the saw teeth indents. A friend speculated that me cutting the saw teeth in it weakened the metal being that it was forged metal. It cracked inwards about a half inch from each side at first. I continued using it over the next hour as I was 15 miles from home and had just started detecting. The shovel never once bent and was strong... except I believe my cut marks weakened it.

I wanted to update this to help others avoid such an outcome. Man I loved that shovel.:( I would buy another , but would not put the teeth in it again.
I used this shovel all of last year to dig just over 2500 coins so it was a good shovel. I put the teeth in it just this May.

Attachments

• IMG_1313 r shovel.jpg
    IMG_1313 r shovel.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_1314 r shovel2.jpg
    IMG_1314 r shovel2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 868
Ya putting your own teeth in it is pointless. They grab when dull which will be after one hole. Try one without the grinding. You can also find a D loop handle for $4.99 if you prefer that style. No need for a $100 predator tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project. Nothing better than something you can make yourself.

Yes, you get it. It was fun modifying the shovel, shortening the handle, putting the teeth in it. Trying to make it better. The cuts I placed in it just weakened the blade. By the way it did work well and it was still sharp after a few dozen hunts. Here is a root I had to saw thru with my shovel. I found this at an old cellar hole.

Attachments

• IMG_1315 r spoon root.jpg
    IMG_1315 r spoon root.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 840
Nice shovel mod. I'm glad you posted the fail, and what caused it, too. I don't have a long shovel, but am hoping to some day have a good one. I do like the saw teeth on both sides of my White's digmaster hand digger. They do cut through roots that a straight edge won't. Not sure about the best teeth design, though. Maybe smaller, or alternating edged teeth would be better? I think your teeth design looks like it works well, but if they weren't so high up the blade, where the heavier prying action happens, you could better avoid that breakage. I'm thinking 3 to 5 less teeth at the top on each side, and you'd still be digging(and sawing) with that beast. Notice where it broke. Right through the top teeth cuts, which were inline with where the center weld ends. Makes sense that it broke there, where the force is concentrated during prying.

Back
Top Bottom