Simplex Lower Shaft Mod

Diabolik

Elite Member
I ordered a second lower shaft in anticipation of getting one of the new search coils coming out so I figured it would be a good time to see if I could find an easy way to stiffen it up a bit.

This is a simple and inexpensive mod. It only adds 1 ounce to the lower shaft and takes a good bit of the “springy” feel out of it. I ordered (1) 12mm OD x 10mm ID x 1000mm long carbon fiber tube from eBay ($12.99 link below) this is long enough to do two lower shafts. The lower shaft of the Simplex is tapered so the carbon fiber tube will go almost all of the way in and then get very snug. I then carefully trimmed the tube off flush with a hacksaw and filled around the tube with some clear silicone just to keep it from moving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12mm-Carbo...var=432906073316&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

• 90CCA763-79E6-4296-B08E-6D9344D19C97.jpg
    90CCA763-79E6-4296-B08E-6D9344D19C97.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
Here is shaft #2. I decided to try Gorilla glue on this one. Worked really well. I wrapped the end of the shaft with painter’s tape to protect it prior to gluing it. Once I cut the shaft flush I hit it quickly with a fine file to smooth it out. This really does help with flex especially in the middle of the lower shaft.

Attachments

• 3A1C7E08-CE20-46E5-9EE3-C1B6A70CB3E8.jpg
    3A1C7E08-CE20-46E5-9EE3-C1B6A70CB3E8.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 662
now thats looking good! that was the first thing about my SimplEx i noticed. . its an awfully flimsy shaft. I am about 6 ft so i need the extension to almost max. i must try this! thanks for the pictures on this.

now thats looking good! that was the first thing about my SimplEx i noticed. . its an awfully flimsy shaft. I am about 6 ft so i need the extension to almost max. i must try this! thanks for the pictures on this.

You're welcome, this definitely takes most of the flex out of the shaft and is very easy to do.

If you are taller, you should also order the new longer middle shaft Nokta just released for the Simplex.They added 4 inches and apparently it helps a lot too.

There is supposed to be a full carbon fiber lower shaft coming too, but not sure what that will cost? I am very happy with the modded shaft so I'll probably just stick with what I have for now.

i think the fix will do until i can order something different, if i even keep the SimplEx. not really sold on it yet. not convinced on it yet, seems my AT PRO is still my favorite.

i think the fix will do until i can order something different, if i even keep the SimplEx. not really sold on it yet. not convinced on it yet, seems my AT PRO is still my favorite.

Well, I can’t promise the mod will make you love the Simplex, but it will certainly take a lot of the flex out of it. :yes:

I used three carbon arrow shafts inserted into mine. No glue...the fit is very tight so it wasn't needed. Improved the flex by about 90%. I'm 6'2" and I extend out to the #4 line.

And funny...I agree...my AT Pro out performs the Simplex despite what everyone on the internet will try to have you believe. Only thing Simplex has proven to be slightly better on is maybe depth. But VDI and solid diggable tones...AT Pro kills the Simplex. At least my Simplex.

I used a fishing pole inserted into the lower rod and flex is gone. Cheap fix if you have a broken fishing pole lying around.

Back
Top Bottom