Coronavirrus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Springfield's city council passed a mask ordinance last night. I watched way to much of the meeting, listening to all the medical type people, a few professors and business people state their reasons for masking and then hearing the anti mask crowd of internet experts state their case convinced me that masking is a good plan, especially when the other plan is stricter lock-downs. I think it's great that we let everyone have a voice in our local politics, but there were some truly stupid people given the microphone. I'm smart enough to know that I'm not the smartest guy around and should listen to the advice of people smarter than me and ignore those who are not.

No, it's the opposite. It can hit you REAL HARD! I take benazepril (same thing) and I've looked into it.

Thanks, this is good to know. I take Lisinopril. I don't have to go out much, but I need to go mail a bill, and was wondering if I needed a mask, since I wasn't planning on going near anyone, but now, I will.

-- Tom

I just did a search myself and it seems there are conflicting reports out there.

It seems Ace Inhibitors like Lisinopril used to be thought to make things worse for Covid-19 infected people, but it seems new studies reversed that line of thought.

Either way, it is still best to err on the side of caution and not let your guard down.

Here just some articles I found online:

Once Thought to Make COVID-19 Worse, ACE Inhibitors Now Tested as Therapeutic

https://www.labroots.com/trending/microbiology/17520/covid-19-worse-ace-inhibitors-tested-therapeutic

Seniors with COVID-19 taking ACE inhibitors have lower hospitalization risk

https://news.yale.edu/2020/05/27/seniors-covid-19-taking-ace-inhibitors-have-lower-hospitalization-risk

ACE inhibitors, ARBs kindle interest to repurpose for Covid-19; potential risk apparent

"Loomba saw the potential of using ACE inhibitors in combination with ACE2-blocking antibodies as useful as the latter could prevent viral entry into the cells and the former could then protect the patient from further injury if the virus is already there."

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/comment/ace-inhibitors-arbs-covid-19/

Note: if there are more up-to-date studies that are contrary please share them as new studies could possibly again change the line of thought on the topic.

Springfield's city council passed a mask ordinance last night. I watched way to much of the meeting, listening to all the medical type people, a few professors and business people state their reasons for masking and then hearing the anti mask crowd of internet experts state their case convinced me that masking is a good plan, especially when the other plan is stricter lock-downs. I think it's great that we let everyone have a voice in our local politics, but there were some truly stupid people given the microphone. I'm smart enough to know that I'm not the smartest guy around and should listen to the advice of people smarter than me and ignore those who are not.
Have you seen the mask making process? :lol:

Thanks, this is good to know. I take Lisinopril. I don't have to go out much, but I need to go mail a bill, and was wondering if I needed a mask, since I wasn't planning on going near anyone, but now, I will.

-- Tom
Ive gone out every day since day one. With thousands of others in my company, no problem! I’m right in the middle. Mask, no mask. If you have medical conditions or a weak immune system stay home, if it makes you feel better. Personally, I would.

Last edited:
I live in Beaumont, on the edge of Coachella Valley.

Below is a letter posted on a local newspaper by Dr. Rick Loftus who works at Eisenhower Health in Coachella Valley treating Covid-19 patients. Coachella has been hit really hard by the virus. His letter is chilling and is not getting better. Our county, Riverside, just recorded a 20% positivity on Covid tests. 1 out of 5 people are testing positive.

Dr. Rick Loftus, MD wrote on 07/02/20:

I'm in a hotspot hospital in a hotspot region (Coachella Valley, Inland Empire, CA). We just converted the entire second floor of our hospital to COVID-19 care yesterday, July 1. We have 65 inpatients with COVID-19 in a hospital with 368 beds. It is the same at our other 2 hospitals in the Valley. We spent yesterday deciding the ethical way to divide up limited remdesivir (30 patients' worth) for the hospital patients. My 20 incoming interns for our IM resident were exposed to COVID 2 weeks ago during their computer chart training; apparently 100% of our computer trainers had COVID19. One intern tested positive 7 days later and I insisted we re-test them all again, as there are almost certainly other cases with minimal symptoms.

I raided my household and took my entire supply of face shields to the hospital for the residents to wear on their first day, and I paid $1000 of my own money to equip all of my residents with medical-grade face shields. I require all residents to wear a surgical mask or N95 with face shield if they are within 6 week of another human, patient or coworker. Roughly 20% of our inpatients die. Only 30% of our ventilated patients survive. (We try to avoid ventilation at all costs. Some people insist on being full code and decompensate despite high flow with face mask, proning, dexamethasone, antibiotics, and a cocktail of famotidine, zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, NAC, and melatonin--we throw everything we can at each case, so long as it won't hurt them). My administrative assistant, who sits adjacent to the interns, just went home with COVID symptoms. Her test is pending.

In the Southwest, we are experiencing catastrophic exponential growth. I have had multiple families--siblings, parent-child, spouses--admitted with COVID-19. I had a 31 year old come in satting 78% on room air; he had been sequestering himself in his bedroom for a week to avoid infecting his elderly parents, with whom he lived. His sister, the only person he saw outside his immediate household in the 10 days prior to onset of fever, cough, and dyspnea, had also had fevers but had tested "negative" at our other large hospital so he thought it was safe to visit her. Sigh.

The Quest PCR test is about 80% sensitive, we think--it had emergency approval and sensitivity data was not required. The Cepheid rapid COVID PCR test is 98.5% sensitive but is in short supply due to limited reagent availability. I'm glad some of you are sheltered from what unbridled COVID-19 looks like. It's a hell show.

This is *July*. What do you think my hospital will look like in winter?...This is real. Doctors in places with proper public health responses will see few cases in their hospitals--like UCSF--but let me tell you something: The laws of physics and biology don't change. If you're in an unaffected region, an introduction and poor governance and low use of physical distancing and masks will give you an exponential increase in no time flat (i.e. 2-4 weeks). That's pandemic math. And 20% of the population infected needs a hospital. You *will* run out of beds with an unbridled pandemic. There is almost ZERO pre-existing immunity to SARS-CoV-2. There may be some "priming" of T-cell responses due to exposure to other "benign" beta-coronaviruses, but we have no idea if that explains the 20-40% of people who seem to get minimal symptoms. Asymptomatic infected persons, however, can, and do, spread COVID to those who die from it. By the way: I've seen scary looking CT scans of the lungs that look like terrible interstitial pneumonia in a patient who had ZERO symptoms and SaO2 94% on room air. She came in for palpitations and the intern overnight got a chest CT for cardiac reasons. We didn't know it was COVID until her test came back 36 hours later. So "asymptomatic" does NOT mean "no biological activity." The virus replicates furiously in people who feel fine. Kids can spread this as easily as grown ups, even if they feel okay. Related: I've talked to two previously healthy patients ages 32 and 44 who are 3 and 4 months, respectively, post their acute COVID. They continue to have cough, nightsweats, fever, fatigue. How many survivors have "post-COVID syndrome"? We don't know. Less than 20% but we're not sure. I've asked my hospital to allow me to establish a post-COVID clinic to care for and study survivors. Both NIH and UW are planning similar efforts based on my dialogues with them. Autopsies show anoxic brain injury in many patients who died of COVID, not to mention microthrombi throughout the lungs and megakaryocytes in massive infiltrations in their hearts and other organs. People get heart failure, lung fibrosis, and permanent kidney injury from COVID-19. This is a disease of the vascular systems, and it can affect any organ, with lungs and kidneys being especially at risk. In early May, thanks to lockdown, our census of 55 came down to 10 COVID cases, and for a brief moment, I actually had hope that the worst nightmares I had about COVID, as a biohazard virology-trained hospitalist, would not come to pass. Then we re-opened, without test/trace/isolate systems anywhere close to adequate. Eight weeks ago my county decided to make masks "optional," despite 125 doctors begging them not to do that. Now we're worse than we were in April. And it's getting worse every day.You wanna see if COVID is real? Come walk on my COVID ward with me. It's real. Hearing people talk about it as if it's an exaggeration is, well, rage-inducing, honestly. Denial is the most common reaction to a pandemic. Denial is how the US will wind up with 1.1 million deaths instead of 130,000. I saw AIDS denialists get killed by their belief that HIV "isn't real, it's a pharma conspiracy of the medical industrial complex." Yeah, right, if you say so. I watched patients with those beliefs die.The hardest part about this is, every new case I treat exposes me. I have assiduous hot zone technique. But no technique is bulletproof. If you keep exposing me to case after case, eventually, the virus will get through my defenses. I'm a 50 year old hypertensive. I don't expect to do well if I get infected. For now, I keep going to work. I'm one of the few pushing forward on COVID clinical trials, basic science, public health messaging, and diagnostic studies at my hospital. I feel a responsibility to keep going. I wake up with nightmares every morning at 4am. But I'm going to keep going for now. I feel very alone a lot of the time. People are not taking this seriously, and it's costing lives. -R​

Dr. Rick Loftus, MD is a real doctor and is treating patients in the coronavirus unit at Eisenhower Health in Coachella Valley. https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...-coachella-valley-die-doctor-says/5071586002/

I just did a search myself and it seems there are conflicting reports out there.

It seems Ace Inhibitors like Lisinopril used to be thought to make things worse for Covid-19 infected people, but it seems new studies reversed that line of thought.

Either way, it is still best to err on the side of caution and not let your guard down.

Here just some articles I found online:

Once Thought to Make COVID-19 Worse, ACE Inhibitors Now Tested as Therapeutic

https://www.labroots.com/trending/microbiology/17520/covid-19-worse-ace-inhibitors-tested-therapeutic

Seniors with COVID-19 taking ACE inhibitors have lower hospitalization risk

https://news.yale.edu/2020/05/27/seniors-covid-19-taking-ace-inhibitors-have-lower-hospitalization-risk

ACE inhibitors, ARBs kindle interest to repurpose for Covid-19; potential risk apparent

"Loomba saw the potential of using ACE inhibitors in combination with ACE2-blocking antibodies as useful as the latter could prevent viral entry into the cells and the former could then protect the patient from further injury if the virus is already there."

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/comment/ace-inhibitors-arbs-covid-19/

Note: if there are more up-to-date studies that are contrary please share them as new studies could possibly again change the line of thought on the topic.

Thanks for that Gary. Looks like a 180 from when I first read up on it.

Folks seem to be concerned that their masks get contaminated....granted they get dirty. The cloth ones the Queen has made are washable, and KT just ordered a cell phone UV sanitizer, less than $30. Put cell phone in, close lid, 10 minutes later, phone is clean of viruses and bacteria. Gonna use it daily on the Royal Family masks also. This technology has been used in elevators to cleanse the air in hospital elevators. A viable option...one study showed that cell phone screens have 30x more bacteria than a public toilet seat! :shock: :wow::(

Thanks for that Gary. Looks like a 180 from when I first read up on it.

No problem Rudy, I understand how the line of thought can change in the field of medicine sometimes. Look at how some medicines previously approved get recalled because of hazards they later realize. I'm not against medicines really needed by someone, but I try to keep my medicines at a bare minimum, and I learned that eating healthy, regular exercise and avoiding getting overly stressed go a long way in helping to maintain good health.

'CO' stands for 'corona,' 'VI' for 'virus,' and 'D' for disease.
Last edited by Rudy; 07-15-20 at 10:40 AM.

Well that explains a lot! It was a bit bizarre with no posts in related threads either that could be viewed even as infinitesimally "negative".

Time to see if I can find some dirt to detect that isn't in a bucket. HH

Folks seem to be concerned that their masks get contaminated....granted they get dirty. The cloth ones the Queen has made are washable, and KT just ordered a cell phone UV sanitizer, less than $30. Put cell phone in, close lid, 10 minutes later, phone is clean of viruses and bacteria. Gonna use it daily on the Royal Family masks also. This technology has been used in elevators to cleanse the air in hospital elevators. A viable option...one study showed that cell phone screens have 30x more bacteria than a public toilet seat! :shock: :wow::(

UV sounds like a handy way to go. And good reminder about cell phones... ick. Good to wipe all that stuff down especially for those who need to go out.

The cases in PA have been creeping up to around a thousand a day . Guvna Wolf enacted some restrictions to help combat this dickhead virus. Please wear a mask in public my fellow Pennsylvanians. It’s “PROVEN” to help stop the spread . Let’s not go back to red or yellow !

Update: Just got this device today. Works well using my cell phone charger, tho it comes with a usb power cord. Takes 3 minutes per item disinfected. So far did KT's cell phone and 2 face masks, 1 at a time. Cost - less than $25.

Gov. Of Arkansas today issued mandatory wearing of face masks when in the public, except when traveling in personal vehicle with or without immediate family members and when social distancing is possible, and when eating food in public restuarants, tho masks are required to enter and when leaving. Eateries are responsible to provide social distancing concerning table placement, etc.

KT does believe it is a socially responsible thing to do. I protect you by wearing a mask and you inturn protect me the same way. But when KT wishes to address His Royal Subjects from the Castle Balcony, He is more than 6" away from them, so no mask is needed for His Majesty. Likewise, no mask is needed when a ride is taken across the countryside on His Royal Steed!

pretty sure social distancing is a joke... you can't catch a cold or flu from someone that is 6.1ft away but 5ft you can? I can remember times i caught a cold riding my bike around with nobody anywhere near me. corona is easier to transmit than most viruses.
at least money velocity is basically 0... for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom