UPDATES - Montana boy in Wheelchair loves to detect!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I live in Hamilton Montana, where my wife and I had some new neighbors move in almost a year ago. This new family across the street had two young boys, both of whom became friends to us. I was surprised early this spring to see that one of the boys, Liam, had a small metal detector and was out with his younger brother checking the gravel area in front of their home for coins and other targets. Well, being a detectorist myself, I couldn't help but help out! Liam needs a wheelchair to get around, as he was in an automobile accident and is paralyzed in the lower part of his body.

We all live in a more modern cul-de-sac, but some of the gravel moved in for the area did have some wheat pennies and copper memorials in the ground. Liam and I try to detect for a bit at least every other day, and we have found zincolns dropped by the mail carriers and garage sale people to some older coins found in the dirt here. We generally use my AT Pro, where I have one of the earphones turned out so Liam can hear the target signals and help identify what we are hearing. Generally, I locate the target, and Liam uses the Garrott Carrot and the Lesche to recover the target. He has learned terms like wheatie, memorial, zincoln, and is learning coin history about US Lincoln Cents.

Liam is 8 years old, has a strong and growing interest in coins and coin collecting. He has all the Lincoln Cent books and is working hard at completing that collection! For his most recent birthday, just a short time ago, he was given a 1880's Morgan Silver Dollar, and a birth year 2012 Silver Eagle. It is very refreshing to see an intelligent young person with an interest in coins, in collecting, and learning about what he is collecting.

If anyone on the Friendly Forum would like to encourage Liam with a gift of pennies, other coins, or a friendly note, please PM me thru the Forum and I can provide his mailing address, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• liam1.jpg
    liam1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 613
  • liam2.jpg
    liam2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 593
  • liam3.jpg
    liam3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 618
  • liam4.jpg
    liam4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 595
  • liam5.jpg
    liam5.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
That's awesome that you're helping him out like that. Let me see what kind of goodies I have that he'd like.

What kind of detector does he use when not using your AT Pro?

Thanks Patrick, that would be great and generous of you! Just PM me thru the forum. I'd never heard of the brand he uses, it only detected down about 2 inches, and since we started teaming up with the AT Pro his machine has been put back into storage. It looked like a Harbor Freight or Chinese knockoff.

I would love to get his mom to bring him to a few homes here in town where we could detect a yard and maybe get him some silvers and other earlier coins.

Nice to see young people interested in metal detecting and coins. Spending time with Liam is time well spent. Thanks for posting.

Nice to see young people interested in metal detecting and coins. Spending time with Liam is time well spent. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Stiffwrists! I agree, time well spent and showing interest in someone who has had a bad deal come along early in life, but doesn't let the wheelchair / disability get in the way of enjoying life and this hobby!

Was wondering if it would be too much to ask as to which pennies he is missing? If not possible that's ok, I'd be happy to help him out.

Was wondering if it would be too much to ask as to which pennies he is missing? If not possible that's ok, I'd be happy to help him out.

Thank you BuscaPlata! I looked at his penny books the other day, I think anything in the 1940 and older date range would be good to help him fill out that first book. He has been going thru change and has the latest book 1970's-date pretty complete. The mid range wheaties are about 2/3 done, but much less with the earlier dates. PM me if you would like to help and need an address!

I am thinking that Liam might need a good lightweight detector. Something like a Bounty Hunter Platinum.

If we could figure out how to collect the money to buy it I would be glad to make a donation.

I am thinking that Liam might need a good lightweight detector. Something like a Bounty Hunter Platinum.

If we could figure out how to collect the money to buy it I would be glad to make a donation.

Thank you RoadRunner, I did get a PM from another member, pryan67, who is generously sending him an Ace 250 so I think the detector angle is covered. Any coins I am sure, esp older wheat pennies, would be appreciated by Liam.

Thank you RoadRunner, I did get a PM from another member, pryan67, who is generously sending him an Ace 250 so I think the detector angle is covered. Any coins I am sure, esp older wheat pennies, would be appreciated by Liam.

That is great!

Thank you BuscaPlata! I looked at his penny books the other day, I think anything in the 1940 and older date range would be good to help him fill out that first book. He has been going thru change and has the latest book 1970's-date pretty complete. The mid range wheaties are about 2/3 done, but much less with the earlier dates. PM me if you would like to help and need an address!

I think I have a non (s) vdb 1909 lying around. If he can fill his jar with this let me know.

Well done pryan67!! I was thinking of my ace 250 for this and you beat me to it. Damn honorable of you!

A quick note... am off to Missoula Montana to detect today, so will reply this evening, Thursday nite, to anyone interested in sending Liam coins or a note of encouragement, thank you to all the wonderful responses so far!

Thank you for helping this young man. I will be honored to send him some wheat pennys to help complete his collection and donate for him to have a new detector.

Thank you for helping this young man. I will be honored to send him some wheat pennys to help complete his collection and donate for him to have a new detector.

Thank you MidTN! I think the detector is covered as another member is sending him an Ace 250! Coins and a note would be welcome, will PM you with his address, thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom