My first wheat penny!

MoonTzu

I went to a local park to poke around in the leaf litter under a tree next to a tree under which I'd pulled 15 pennies and a dime in a single go. But I had a new toy: a pinpointer! I hadn't seriously detected this tree before because I found myself unable to isolate the signals, and I hoped the pinpointer would help sort things out. Boy did it ever!

In about a half hour, most of which was spent kneeling and sweeping with the pinpointer and gently probing with The World's Most Expensive Screwdriver, I pulled four dimes, my first nickel, and 13 pennies including 5 copper ones, one of which was a wheat penny from 1957!

I also had two great conversations with curious dog walkers; I shared that I was finding coins but also showed that I was doing park clean-up what with tabs, bits of foil, and heavy staples (I think people staple banners and balloons into the trees). We laughed about it and agreed that I come cheaper than the park maintenance people! But, honestly, all the parks I've gone to have been remarkably clean of trash; I pull much more in clad than trash. It's a neighborhood park, so I think people tend to police their trash.

I tried another tree to validate my hypothesis, and immediately hit and popped a nickel as proof.

So, a very pleasant little morning detecting break: 63 cents, my biggest haul to date, my first nickel, and my first wheat penny, all in one!

Attachments

• fs-052518-1.jpg
    fs-052518-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 200
  • fs-052518-3.jpg
    fs-052518-3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 183
  • fs-052518-5.jpg
    fs-052518-5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 184
Very solid hunt and report đź‘Ť Congradulations on the wheatie .
Fun times ahead . First this .. and first that.

Looking forward to the next update .
,Dew

Congratz on your first wheatie. Before long it will be silver. Then pretty soon, any silver newer than 1900 will bore you. Then it will be gold coins. Pretty soon, any $20 gold that's newer than 1900 will bore you. It's addictive ! :laughing:

Congrats !! My first old coin was a 57 wheat !! ( My birthyear) Expect a silver dollar in about a month :laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom