How to find the brass in the grass?

BrassCatcher

Howdy folks.

I'm a shooter, and I reload my ammunition so I like to collect my spent brass cases. Were I practice my spent pistol cases drop into thick "lawnish" grass that is 4 - 8 inches tall. Short of getting on my hands and knees and raking through the grass finding my spent brass is very difficult. It almost disappears.

Ammunition brass is not very expensive, so buying more is an option rather than searching for the fired brass.

Last summer I bought a $50 metal detector at Walmart. Unfortunately it provided very poor results, so I returned it.

Are there "reasonably priced" metal detectors that can easily find thin walled brass objects such as a handgun ammunition case that is under grass but sitting above ground (or just pushed into the ground from standing on it).

If metal detectors all require moving left/right forward/back over and over to pinpoint an object then I would be better off buying new brass and giving up on the idea of using a metal detector. However, if detectors can find it quickly then perhaps I should pursue this.

Thoughts?

TIA

I wonder if a pinpointer like the Garret carrot or whites TRX would work. I think it would depend on how much metal trash is in the ground. Most of the detectors above a couple hundred bucks would have discrimination that would block everything but your brass

I have a buddy that shoots and reloads..he has a basic detector and easily finds his brass casings in the grass when he's finished....He has a Bounty Hunter IIRC....

Finding brass casings is no problem at all even for a basic rig...also, you can go to any shooting embankment and find the lead slugs or other peoples brass...easy peasy with just about 5 min of practice to get the idea...heck, even cops use these rigs for casing evidence collecting...:laughing:

I wonder if a pinpointer like the Garret carrot or whites TRX would work. I think it would depend on how much metal trash is in the ground. Most of the detectors above a couple hundred bucks would have discrimination that would block everything but your brass

You mentioned Garret Carrot so I looked at this video. It looks like you have to get very close to the item. Also I would have to tape it to a stick (or something) so I wouldn't be bending over constantly. (Keep in mind I could be looking for 20 brass cases or 200... sometimes even more).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enEC926Wb9I

Thinking of the detector "antenna" as a clock: Are there detectors that could get within 12 inches of something, and then indicate something is nearby is 3 o-clock, or 10 o-clock, or perhaps degrees or some other indication of direction? Or, do they all require moving back and forth over the object to get an idea where it is?

Honestly I think you’d be better off with a brass catcher or stopper - setup a portable screen to your right?

Without getting into details, there are lots of times brass catchers, stoppers, tarps etc are impractical. One example is moving around quickly between various targets while practicing for competition etc.

Just wondering if metal detectors are an option worth considering or not.

First, if you practice at a public range, a detector is completely impractical. With all the .22 brass, CCI aluminum blazer rounds, and imported surplus mil ammo casings, you'd never be able to pinpoint YOUR brass.
If it's a private range, then I suggest you keep the grass trimmed, at least in the areas that will see the highest percentage of expended rounds.

Roger

First, if you practice at a public range, a detector is completely impractical. With all the .22 brass, CCI aluminum blazer rounds, and imported surplus mil ammo casings, you'd never be able to pinpoint YOUR brass.
If it's a private range, then I suggest you keep the grass trimmed, at least in the areas that will see the highest percentage of expended rounds.

Roger

Little .22LR. No steel. No aluminum. .380, .357, 10mm, .45

Private range. Cutting it shorter than 4" will eventually kill it. Have no plans to change how I maintain the grass. I am looking for other options beyond the usual shooting range options.

Getting back to my question: It is are there metal detectors that will do what I want them to for a reasonable price? ($100 - 200). Find spent brass cases under the grass without having to wand back and forth many times.

How to find the brass in the grass

I use a cheap plastic tarp, stake the corners down, stand so the brass lands on tarp. When done, fold tarp pour contents into a box, bucket.

I use a cheap plastic tarp, stake the corners down, stand so the brass lands on tarp. When done, fold tarp pour contents into a box, bucket.

Tough to deal with in a 30 mph wind.

I'm not asking how to prevent brass from getting into the grass. I am asking if people can recommend types/brands/models of metal detectors with which one can easily find brass once it is already in the grass.

Thanks.

I do not know of a detector that does not require movement to show you where the target is located It is not as complicated a process as you seem to think.

I do not know of a detector that does not require movement to show you where the target is located It is not as complicated a process as you seem to think.

Perhaps my difficulty was because the only metal detector I have ever tried was the $50 Walmart detector I tried last year. It did not work well even though I followed the instructions. I assumed it would be good enough to detect metal above ground.

Can you recommend one or more detectors that you think I should look at for my needs of brass cases above ground in thick 4-8" grass?

I would like to do this for $100, but am willing to spend $200 if necessary.

Thanks

Without being able to swing the rig easily over the targets, I don't think a metal detector is going to be the answer to your problem. 8 inch grass is one of the few landscapes that I wouldn't even try.

Consider also picking up a used machine that someone is selling as they trade up to something better. Find a detecting club near you and drop in on a meeting and talk to them about your goal. Someone living near you might be willing to do a demo for you at your range. Mention that you are interested in a used ‘basic’ machine that can find spent casings.

Last edited:
You mentioned Garret Carrot so I looked at this video. It looks like you have to get very close to the item. Also I would have to tape it to a stick (or something) so I wouldn't be bending over constantly. (Keep in mind I could be looking for 20 brass cases or 200... sometimes even more).

You must have a lot longer arms than me if you could pick them up without bending over !

Without being able to swing the rig easily over the targets, I don't think a metal detector is going to be the answer to your problem. 8 inch grass is one of the few landscapes that I wouldn't even try.

The grass is usually closer to 4", but it can grow to nearing 8".

Your comment confuses me. If a detector can find metal several inches under the surface of the ground why can it not be passed over grass and find things on the surface of the dirt a few inches below the top of the grass?

The grass is usually closer to 4", but it can grow to nearing 8".

Your comment confuses me. If a detector can find metal several inches under the surface of the ground why can it not be passed over grass and find things on the surface of the dirt a few inches below the top of the grass?

Stiffwrists probably searches for deep stuff such as coins or relics. When there's 8in of grass growing on top, the detector will likely only pick up what's on the surface.

Think of it this way, the grass is 8in, and the detector goes down 10in. That means you only get about 2in into the soil. If however the grass is 3in, then you get about 7in into the soil.

As to your problem, how big are those cartridges? Any basic detector should pick them up

Back
Top Bottom