How to find the brass in the grass?

The 22LR and other brass that is in and under the sod would drive you nuts.

I mow the range that I use, so the area that I shoot from I mow it with the lowest setting on the mowing deck. No problem finding my brass that way.
GL

DG

The 22LR and other brass that is in and under the sod would drive you nuts.

DG

I don't shoot much .22LR without a brass catcher attached to the guns. There will be a ton more .45acp, and 10mm. Literally thousands. 10mm brass is expensive, so I would like to find some of it if I can.

I don't shoot much .22LR without a brass catcher attached to the guns. There will be a ton more .45acp, and 10mm. Literally thousands. 10mm brass is expensive, so I would like to find some of it if I can.

My lawn is pretty overgrown right now. I can toss a few empty .45s out tomorrow and run my Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 over them and let you know how it goes. I'll throw a few 22s under the sand and see if I can squelch them out and still get the 45s.

If it works out you can get one from Hobby Lobby using their 40% off coupon for around $70. Like folks said though, you will have to move the coil over the metal for it to work.

Of course there are other options like a shop vac or the brass wizard.

My lawn is pretty overgrown right now. I can toss a few empty .45s out tomorrow and run my Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 over them and let you know how it goes. I'll throw a few 22s under the sand and see if I can squelch them out and still get the 45s.

If it works out you can get one from Hobby Lobby using their 40% off coupon for around $70. Like folks said though, you will have to move the coil over the metal for it to work.

Of course there are other options like a shop vac or the brass wizard.

That would be great if you have a few minutes to test that. Thanks.

Dude, look... you're *going* to have to *swing* the search coil. Sorry but ALL detectors work on the principle of motion. Why? Because the coil puts out a radio frequency in a certain shape. Say, a cone or a doughnut... metal, like brass or copper or whatever, *disturbs* the *shape* of the field and that disturbance registers on the detector's dials. You can stand directly over a $10,000 ring and Mr. Detector won't utter a whisper.... *until you move the coil*. It's the movement that finds the stuff... that and getting your coil over the stuff to start with.
My recommendation to you is this: You don't need a fancy machine. Get a cheap Bounty Hunter, set it up and learn to swing the coil. Slow and low, and you'll find the brass in the grass and save your... pride. :D

Brass is also worth money. So you can also get $$$ for melt value too. I'm just two weeks shy of 66 years old, have arthritis in my left hand, kidney disease, and I'm nearly blind and fat. If I can swing a coil, so can you. :)

Dude, look... you're *going* to have to *swing* the search coil. .....

The $50 unit I tried last year might have had something to do with my bad results. Perhaps something a little better quality might work better.

I am hoping BaldAssCat is able to do the test he described.

That would be great if you have a few minutes to test that. Thanks.

Just wanted to say I haven't forgot you. I didn't have batteries for the BH and couldn't get out after some until this evening. I'll do the test in the morning and let you know.

Agree with the carrot pinpointer idea. Set sensitivity to low so you don't detect too much buried stuff. Could work well even if you are only willing to kneel for five minutes retrieving. With that many targets per sq ft it seems like a coil would be hectic.

Agree with the carrot pinpointer idea. Set sensitivity to low so you don't detect too much buried stuff. Could work well even if you are only willing to kneel for five minutes retrieving. With that many targets per sq ft it seems like a coil would be hectic.

You might have convinced me to start here. I can buy it on Amazon. If it doesn't work for my needs back it will go.

Off to do some reading and watch some youtube videos about it..........

I keep a pinpointer in my range box. I've also got a brass catcher that works on some guns, and other catchers that aren't attached to the gun.
There is really no "one good way" other than pouring a concrete pad big enough to not have any flung far enough to bounce off it.

I wonder if a pinpointer like the Garret carrot or whites TRX would work. I think it would depend on how much metal trash is in the ground. Most of the detectors above a couple hundred bucks would have discrimination that would block everything but your brass

I got busy and had to delay this project. The Garret Carrots are rather expensive, but I discovered some type of knock-off called a Deteknix Xpointer. Got an open box missing manual and lanyard for $75 on Amazon.

Tried it today, and it works perfectly for finding ammunition brass in deep grass regardless if on top of soil or stepped on and pressed into soil.

I strapped the holster to a light, thin wall aluminum tube so the detector part extends way past the aluminum and it is very fast to find my brass.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I got busy and had to delay this project. The Garret Carrots are rather expensive, but I discovered some type of knock-off called a Deteknix Xpointer. Got an open box missing manual and lanyard for $75 on Amazon.

Tried it today, and it works perfectly for finding ammunition brass in deep grass regardless if on top of soil or stepped on and pressed into soil.

I strapped the holster to a light, thin wall aluminum tube so the detector part extends way past the aluminum and it is very fast to find my brass.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Great thinking!

A used Fisher F2 with 4 inch coil would be great at this, too. Should be able to pick one up in the range you were interested, if your pointer detector gives out.

Get a rake or use a tarp. Much more efficient and quicker

Thanks for your comment. I've been shooting for many decades. I have tarps, brass catchers, and other stuff.

For my needs this Xpointer thing works great in deep grass.

Back
Top Bottom